Premchai denies poaching, says trip to Thung Yai was for leisure

webfact

Premchai denies poaching, says trip to Thung Yai was for leisure

By The Nation

295bfe2b2a6eee373ec52d1e760d5932-sld.jpe

Construction tycoon Premchai Karnasuta has said his trip to World Heritage Thung Yai Naresuan Sanctuary in Kanchanaburi province was for leisure.

He denied allegations of poaching, despite evidence being found at his camping site.

Premchai, president of the huge SET-listed construction company Italian-Thai Development Plc (ITD), and three other people on Tuesday were charged with six offences under two separate laws, which included illegal poaching, possession of protected animals carcasses and harvesting forest products in a national park.

The three other were identified as Yong Dodkreau, Nathee Riamsaen and Thanee Thummas.

The four accused were arrested at the scene on Monday after rangers found three guns, ammunition and carcasses of protected wild animals, including a black leopard, a Kalij pheasant and a barking deer. It was reported that the carcass of the black leopard had already been skinned, which indicated that it was collected as a trophy.

Premchai said the trip last weekend was the second time in his life he had visited Thung Yai. His first time was dated back for 30-40 years ago when Khao Laem Dam, the former name of Vajiralongkorn Dam, was being constructed.

“This time I came here for leisure because I’m old and will die one day. I’m not an often visitor to the wildlife sanctuary,” the 63-year-old tycoon said in his first comments to the media after he was released by Thong Pha Phum Provincial Court on Bt150,000 bail late on Tuesday evening.

“I have nothing to explain,” Premchai told a reporter who asked about the picture of carcasses of protected wild animals found at his camping site.

Premchai’s lawyer Witoon Yimpray, who was with Premchai during the media interview, denied the allegations, saying Premchai was not involved with the poaching.

Witoon also addressed the accusation that his client camped in a restricted area in the wildlife sanctuary.

The lawyer said Premchai was granted permission by a chief of the department who oversees the area to enter and camp in the area.

“It was dark. Premchai and his entourage were afraid of danger and getting lost so, when they found a place with a water resource, they decided to camp out there. He has never been there for 10 years,” Witoon said on behalf of his client.

When asked if guns and ammunition found at the site belonged to Premchai, his lawyer paused for a while before saying that that was being investigated.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30338178

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-07

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“I have nothing to explain,” Premchai told a reporter who asked about the picture of carcasses of protected wild animals found at his camping site.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

When asked if guns and ammunition found at the site belonged to Premchai, his lawyer paused for a while before saying that that was being investigated.

That is a matter I would of thought that needed explaining!

Beautiful cat. How could they kill it.

He's wai-ed for the cameras so all will be OK now and it will just be a 'mis-understanding'. The lawyer is already churning out slimy implausible excuses and this will unfortunately go the way of most other cases involving the influential.

I often go out to observe nature with my guns!

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“This time I came here for leisure because I’m old and will die one day. I’m not an often visitor to the wildlife sanctuary,” the 63-year-old tycoon said in his first comments to the media after he was released by Thong Pha Phum Provincial Court on Bt150,000 bail late on Tuesday evening.

How pathetic and spineless.  The dead black cat, a beautiful creature, says otherwise.  How disgusting. 

Sadly I agree with many others on here... I highly doubt he will not be treated the same as the ordinary citizen, he's too connected.  No hope for the poaching and sadly, for the endangered animals, it will never end until they are all dead.  

A sorry sack of <deleted> and a disgusting fat pig.

48 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Just lie, keep lying, and lie some more, all before it hopefully gets forgotten.

The classic Thai trick of 'saving face' (aka - being a liar).  

Strait up lying, dodging, deflecting and omission and it comes from women, men and kids.  It's a cultural thing?  One thing for sure, they are good at it.  

• Like 2

too rich to lose face for this, they will lay all the blame on the others, no finger prints will be checked on the rifles to match him to any of them and he will walk away unscathed. Its not if you are guilty but how rich and connected you are that matters here

• Like 1

Wise man to deny all. To admit guilt means you get done. To deny, especially if one has money and underlings that can carry the blame then why not. He could argue it was the mates he was with and his mates will back him up ...e.g. he was asleep all the time and was woken by the rangers surrounded by dead animals and guns; of course his matess will recieve a payment/ favour to cash in.

Next story as this man will be found clearly not guilty.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Wai and Lie, Crocodile tears.
Mushroom pickers get 10 years.

They were guilty as hell - no money to buy the verdict pay for a good lawyer.

The Thai justice system - the best that money can buy.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit