strange actions by our Thai handyman

zoza

Good day folks, yesterday I was getting ready to go out when there was a knock at the door my wife answered and after five

mins came and explained that our handyman who does the odd jobs in our condo building, and that he wanted the phone number

of the ''plumber'' we used last year , as the results of his '' work'' was affecting all the condo's in our building ?

the person who was at our condo for about an hour last year was no more a plumber than I am but he was recommended to the wife

by another person who works in our building so I could not understand why they asked us ? by this time my wife wanted me to phone

the owner of our condo, I explained to her that as far as I was concerned all this was nothing to do with the owner or us and was more

an issue with the Thai who works in the building and the '' plumbers'' sorry the couple of Thai people who said they were plumbers

but did not know that water runs down hill not up hill, they did have some tools but I asked them to leave as soon as I realised

how inept they were. I hear now they are coming back to fix what ever they have done, but the wife is adamant that it is up to us to

get it fixed but she forgets that when she told me she had a number of a plumber that was recommended by the  people who work

at our condo I thought it was the condo management but it appears she asked the old fella who replaces lightbulbs and such and

who has a brother who is out of work. not certain who is at fault but  a few friends I have spoken to seem to think it is a scam.

Hi there, I've read and reconfigured your somewhat disjointed post (below) and I think it might not be a scam but merely a Thai handyman seeing an opportunity to pass on some work to friends or relatives and earning a "commission". The fact that you soon came to realise that they were not plumbers and asked them to leave, should be enough for you to deny them access again. It may well be your responsibility to ensure that remedial works are undertaken by a competent tradesmen. It might be a good idea not to pass on their phone numbers or contact details, but it might also be that your wife thinks she might lose face (with the condo handyman) as she might appear to be rejecting his recommendation. I'd ignore it all and look for a decent, competent tradesman.

Regards,

Joe

"Good day folks, yesterday I was getting ready to go out when there was a knock at the door. My wife answered and after five mins came and explained that it was our handyman who does the odd jobs in our condo building and that he wanted the phone number of the ''plumber'' we used last year; as the results of his '' work'' was affecting all the condo's in our building. This person who was at our condo for about an hour last year, was no more a plumber than I am but he was recommended to the wife by another person who works in our building, (so I could not understand why they asked us?)

By this time my wife wanted me to phone the owner of our condo. I explained to her that as far as I was concerned all this was nothing to do with the owner or us and was more of an issue with the Thai who works in the building and the '' plumbers'' (sorry, the couple of Thai people who said they were plumbers), but they did not know that water runs downhill not up hill. They did have some tools but I asked them to leave as soon as I realised how inept theybility to  s your responsi were. I hear now, they are coming back to fix whatever they have done, but the wife is adamant that it is up to us to get it fixed. But she forgets that when she told me she had a number of a plumber that was recommended by the people who work at our condo, I thought it was the condo management. But it appears she asked the old fella who replaces lightbulbs and such and who has a brother who is out of work. Not certain who is at fault but  a few friends I have spoken to seem to think it is a scam."

I know we are all used to the "grammar police" on this Forum but it looks like we now have to look out for the "editor/editing police as well".

For "Shoeless Joe";

As you were able to comprehend the post why did you feel a need for an edited/précis?  Are the rest of us mere mortals not capable of extracting the relevant information ourselves.  I believe you are doing the OP a major disservice with your highhanded, so called, reposted  "edit". 

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I know we are all used to the "grammar police" on this Forum but it looks like we now have to look out for the "editor/editing police as well".

For "Shoeless Joe";

As you were able to comprehend the post why did you feel a need for an edited/précis?  Are the rest of us mere mortals not capable of extracting the relevant information ourselves.  I believe you are doing the OP a major disservice with your highhanded, so called, reposted  "edit". 

Shoeless Joe did a good translation job. That's all.

42 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Shoeless Joe did a good translation job. That's all.

What translation?  Both posts are in the English Language.  Nothing has been translated from one language to another!  We do not know the nationality and native language (as if it matters!) of the OP.  Forum rules state we must post in English unless the post is in the Thai Language Forum.  If I can understand the post than I am sure most others can without the aid of a 3rd party who has not discussed his output with the originator.

It is of course not for me to determine whether you meant to call it his "interpretation", rather than translation of the OP's post.  I call it a "bastardisation" of a précis  but that is my opinion not a reworded statement of the two previous posts.  But each to his own.

Warning there may be bad grammar ahead do not attempt to read if you have a bad Attitude. 

Ten mins after the ''plumber'' arrived today, and him and the condo handyman were informed there was no money getting stumped up .

all of a sudden there was nothing that needed fixing.

14 minutes ago, zoza said:

Warning there may be bad grammar ahead do not attempt to read if you have a bad Attitude. 

Well said, can I assume that I was allowed to read?

Given that caveat I assume your reading audience has been reduced by at least two just from this topic alone.

That should be a banner headline above all posts and in the rules (if not there already!

21 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Don’t read the OP’s original post as it is FAKE NEWS... please read the revised memo that was just released... :coffee1:

#releasethememo

What a "Foxy" statement.  I just can't Trump, edit, précis or translate it into anything more comprehendible.  That is of course except  for the edit police.  I am sure they will have their own unauthorised amendments to make!

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Ah!  Which story are you reading/referring to?  Is it the unabridged original or the plagiarised re-issue?

There is a fairly simple solution to incoherent posts, otherwise known as unabridged originals. I stop reading after a couple of sentences.

Plagiarism is defined as claiming credit for someone else's work. I don't think that was Shoeless Joe's intention.

5 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

People quite regularly criticize and argue with one another here at TV about pretty much everything and most threads are filled with random (usually pointless,  baseless) Thai bashing including Thai bashing when it comes to their use of the English language.  Why should grammar be sacrosanct and exempted from comment when it's aimed at  (mostly) native English speakers?

Evenin' all, Staff Sergeant Terdsak, RTGP (Royal Thai Grammar Police) here. I note there is a little disputation goin' on. May I remind all foreign vistors and residents to Thailand that virtual verbal violence, whether physical or mental, is prohibited under Section 44 promulgated in 2014. Penalties may be up to and include a week repairing watches in Klong Prem hostelry under the supervision of Warder Prawit. 

I thank you.

7 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

For "Shoeless Joe";

For "Scottie John" and others - I was just trying to be helpful to the OP, what's your excuse?

Anyway my apologies, I didn't realise y'all were so sensitive and that you could be so easily offended.

11 hours ago, zoza said:

Ten mins after the ''plumber'' arrived today, and him and the condo handyman were informed there was no money getting stumped up .

If you are referring to Shoeless Joe about the bad attitude part... I think you misinterpreted him. I didn't see anything in his post that carried any kind of bad attitude at all. Actually, he was being quite polite in his post. He gave you greetings and a salutation giving you his best regards. He even took the time to give you some advice, which others, like scottiejohn who made no less than 5 posts, none of which had anything to do with attempting to help you with advice or trying to figure out what's going on in your situation. I'd be wary of joining in the chorus of such rabble rousers who seem to have nothing better to do than find a problem where there isn't one, and try to get others to join him in his misery. I think Shoeless Joe went to a lot of effort to help you and it would be nice to acknowledge that. He wasn't degrading you by helping with your English. No need to take offense. Just as I wouldn't take offense with a native speaker (or a fellow native speaker of my own language who is better than me at writing) correcting me in my use of their language, unless of course they made some kind of nasty remark along with it, which Shoeless Joe did not do.
At any rate, I hope the issue at your place with the plumbing doesn't resurrect to anything more and all can be peaceful and happy at home!
Cheers

12 hours ago, zoza said:

shoeless can you translate???

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

For "Shoeless Joe";

I agree with shoeless joe. His edited version made more sense. Perhaps if people would take a few moments to check their posts.  I understand many errors are automatic spell-check errors but taking a moment to proof read a post prior to submitting would minimize grammar & spelling "Nazis"

12 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Evenin' all, Staff Sergeant Terdsak, RTGP (Royal Thai Grammar Police) here. I note there is a little disputation goin' on. May I remind all foreign vistors and residents to Thailand that virtual verbal violence, whether physical or mental, is prohibited under Section 44 promulgated in 2014. Penalties may be up to and include a week repairing watches in Klong Prem hostelry under the supervision of Warder Prawit. 

I thank you.

You forgot to mention Warder Prawit's buffet meals of rice soup and som tam plaa.:smile:

21 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

realised how inept theybility to  s your responsi were. I hear now,

Without hurting  any ones feeling's this is what your edit looks like.

And pot and kettle seem to scream out of your ''edit'' to me.

Sorry for pointing this out but we all make mistakes even people who think they are very clever.

I would never of pointed out your obvious mistakes if you had not got on your high horse in the first place. 

cheers ZOZA

6 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I agree with shoeless joe. His edited version made more sense.

7 hours ago, Sig said:

. He wasn't degrading you by helping with your English. No need to take offense. Just as I wouldn't take offense with a native speaker (or a fellow native speaker of my own language who is better than me at writing) correcting me in my use of their language, 

This is the first time in about sixteen years I have had some one to try and ''help''

me with my English maybe I have been in Thailand to long.

it was a wandering story set over six months and I did repeat some parts as it was

a complicated story, and it was unfolding as I was writing it.

but for you's two to state joe's edit made more sense or that he corrected me

is put in perspective by an extract of his edit.  

I have no problem with anyone on this forum, but where I think I am being criticised for my writing by people who then write this...I class this as taking the piss.

1 hour ago, zoza said:

ealised how inept theybility to  s your responsi were. I hear

23 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What translation?  Both posts are in the English Language.  Nothing has been translated from one language to another!  We do not know the nationality and native language (as if it matters!) of the OP.  Forum rules state we must post in English unless the post is in the Thai Language Forum.  If I can understand the post than I am sure most others can without the aid of a 3rd party who has not discussed his output with the originator.

It is of course not for me to determine whether you meant to call it his "interpretation", rather than translation of the OP's post.  I call it a "bastardisation" of a précis  but that is my opinion not a reworded statement of the two previous posts.  But each to his own.

Okey Scottie, my mistake.

Should have written "translation" in quotation marks.

Happy now ?

1 hour ago, maximillian said:

Okey Scottie, my mistake.

Should have written "translation" in quotation marks.

Happy now ?

No.
Your lack of use, or otherwise, of quotation marks around the word "translation" in your previous post(s) is not germane to the fact that no translation took place. 

Would you or any other TV poster accept another poster rewriting a post without the poster's  agreement.

Here is an example;

E.G.  From your post above -

"Okey Scottie, my mistake. Should have written "translation" in quotation marks. Happy now ?"

Would you be happy if I decided to rewrite (not translate) the above to this;

"For the attention of "scottiejohn".  May I thank you for your observation/comment on my previous post.
I believe I may have made a grammatical error by omitting quotation marks around the word "translation".  Please accept my apologies for my minor error(s).

PS; BTW (By The Way) If my interpretation of your original post is not correct please feel free to PM me."

PPS;  I of course apologise if I have inadvertently made any grammatical errors myself."

Do you get my message?

And BTW my name is not "Scottie" Okey Maxie! 

Archived