"Foreign owners need educating about Buddhist feelings" as Buddha head on beach angers Thais

rooster59

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes its insensitive.. However.. 

I just had a great day on the bike with the old lady.. Ended up going way up a mountain to a middle of nowhere but well known jungle temple complex in the far north.. Above the temple complex is a resort of rooms, with buddha built into the wall and a toilet block above the decorative buddhas and the temple who is its only source of custom.

My old lady was shocked.. I wasnt.. 

All of these outrage episodes are shades of grey.. 

You're definitely in the minority here, with your "old" lady. [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I hope the same clowns enforcing this kind of misuse will also be around in Patpong, Pattaya's Walking Street or Patong Beach coming Xmas arresting those hundreds of girls and dozens of (Thai) bar owners. 

Those girls, stark naked, run around with nothing but Christmas gear; in one case a equally naked girl appeared as the "Christmas born child" in a bar and pictures where posted everywhere for entertainment. One actually commented a complete shave next time as the Christmas child would be born without body hair! 

It is a blunt insult against Christianity and only the tolerance and mature attitude of Christians prevented a fall-out.

Thailand - grow up, a Buddha head at the beach is as "inappropriate" as the Big Buddha just next door on the very same island! Pathetic. 

1 hour ago, ksamuiguy said:

Another smokescreen to hide the truth of what is happening.

Most of us can see through this B.S. and move on to the important issue they don't want us to know.

Oh No?! So there is some other issue going on. This is not just using the Buddha image as a stalking horse to attack the foreign owners is it?   How can that be?

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I hope the same clowns enforcing this kind of misuse will also be around in Patpong, Pattaya's Walking Street or Patong Beach coming Xmas arresting those hundreds of girls and dozens of (Thai) bar owners. 

Those girls, stark naked, run around with nothing but Christmas gear; in one case a equally naked girl appeared as the "Christmas born child" in a bar and pictures where posted everywhere for entertainment. One actually commented a complete shave next time as the Christmas child would be born without body hair! 

It is a blunt insult against Christianity and only the tolerance and mature attitude of Christians prevented a fall-out.

Thailand - grow up, a Buddha head at the beach is as "inappropriate" as the Big Buddha just next door on the very same island! Pathetic. 

The ongoing question.

Her suit or not her suit?

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

they should be visited by the authorities to educate them about how inappropriate this was,

Maybe some Buddhists (in Myanmar) also need some education about how "inappropriate" their "actions" have been! :post-4641-1156693976:

I'm sure that the vast majority of Thais who claim to be Buddhists have very little idea of what it actually entails. All they have is a vague, often totally wrong, concept. But like in any religion anywhere, most of them are complete hypocrites anyway when it comes to knowing the 'rules' and living by them. I suppose top of the heap are Catholics who can just pop into a box, say sorry about what I've done and the priest says that's okay my son, next please.

Good Morning...nicely written....The word "Buddha".....comes from the Indian Gujarati/Sanskrit dialect....meaning literally"sense"....nothing to do any religion or religious beliefs.....a wrong doing comes from insensitive and ignorant beings!Our world is full of them..in every part of our society.''

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It is also innapropriate for monks to enbezzle money, rape minors, steal underwear from a washing line, use and deal in drugs..........

Or have a tunnel built to escape......A health club in the Temple..beauty saloon.... asking multiple of Millions of Baht as donations...in exchange for a sweet....so they will have a BUSINESS class comfort to heaven immediately after death...called First class Heaven!!

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm sure that the vast majority of Thais who claim to be Buddhists have very little idea of what it actually entails. All they have is a vague, often totally wrong, concept. But like in any religion anywhere, most of them are complete hypocrites anyway when it comes to knowing the 'rules' and living by them. I suppose top of the heap are Catholics who can just pop into a box, say sorry about what I've done and the priest says that's okay my son, next please.

QUOTE: top of the heap are Catholics who can just pop into a box, say sorry about what I've done and the priest says that's okay my son, next please.

I certainly am not one to defend catholics,

BUT:

How many people in "catholic" countries still believe in confession and other outdated nonsense? While in Buddhaland the vast majority does believe in all that monk talk.

20 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I sometimes wonder about how "outraged" Thai people  seem to get on social media over certain issues...but never appear to vent the same outrage when it is badly needed in a public place where they can actually do something about a bad situation. I am talking about "loud noice" of course and the lifelong damage it can do to children's ears.

I was at the week long market in the College grounds in Banampur a few days ago. Many families strolling  around with babies in arms and strollers.....when all of a sudden "music" starting blareing out, it was, without exaragation, off the ricktar scale. I have Tinnitus, bad hearing , lived here 18 yrs. so am used to it in Thailand but never ever anything like this. I had to actually leave the market with my hands covering my ears. I asked the wife....why do Thai people never approach the person (DJ in this case) responsible for this racket and ask them to lower it down for the sake of their babie's hearing and the irrepairable damage he is doing to their ears. She just shrugged her shoulers and said "they grow up with it" ..???

Last night in the 'gay street' of Jomtien Complex one of the bars had decided to generously offer live music not only to their own customers but to the entire street. A stage was set up in front of the bar and an impressive number of (aptly named) loudspeakers were installed around the stage and all the way up to the entrance of the bar zone.

Around 7:00pm a guy with a raucous voice jumped on stage and started delivering the usual Thai pop songs which are fabulously popular with all the boys who work in the area... and notably less appreciated by the white-haired Western customers who form 90% of the money spending lot in that area. Most of the latter put up with it because when in Rome... some (the Thaier-than-thou brigade) actually pretend to love it , and the grumpiest just turn around when they see the balloons.

But hey, who cares about what customers think and like ?

Aaaaaanyway ... The 'music' was going on at full blast  when, lo and behold, a Thai lady popped out of the business she owns (a restaurant) looking extremely irate, somehow found the DJ and gave him a piece of her mind. The music was immediately turned down noticeably, and for once, it was possible to enjoy a drink for another half hour without having to put up with the usual earsore that is called 'musical entertainment' around here. It was still there of course, but bearable.

My point(s) ?

1/ Not all Thai people are sheepish, afraid to confront bullies or worried of losing face by going against the local customs.

2/ When the music was turned down, the bar boys around were still having a good time while the Western customers were not having a rotten one, for a change. So... obviously it's possible to find a volume level that satisfies everyone.

3/ What does that have to do with the Buddha head issue in the article ? Well, just about everything, if you ask me, because clearly the problem is not about Buddhism (*) but about the identity crisis that Thais have been going through for decades, the most obvious manifestation of which is xenophobia. Are the Thai people who organize musical 'entertainment' in Jomtien Complex unaware of the fact that most Western people (both tourists and expats) hate it when the music is outrageously loud ? Of course not. So, call me paranoid if you will, but in my eyes the paroxystic volume of these sound sytems is not due to ignorance or a sabai sabai attitude, it's a way of telling the white people around there that they are tolerated, not actually welcome, and if they don't like it, they can go home. More and more of them seem to do just that. The Chinese business which just opened at the entrance of that street (with all the signs in Chinese as if this country were a vassal state of the Empire) is probably an omen.

(*) The Lord Buddha clearly forbade representations of himself, so ALL Buddha images are shocking from a strictly Buddhist point of view.

20 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

He was also opposed to idols  .... Ooops!

at Buddhas time there where no Bikinis, everybody bathed without clothes. in Normal life the lady's had there breasts not covered.i think Buddha wold have been perplexed why all those people went into the water wearing dress.  

Just now, DieterWiehe said:

at Buddhas time there where no Bikinis, everybody bathed without clothes. in Normal life the lady's had there breasts not covered.i think Buddha wold have been perplexed why all those people went into the water wearing dress.  

Superbly written....born naked...bathe naked...die naked.....rituals....stigma,traditions....all formulated by humans... emotional stages or our lives(mine included).'....dictating multitudes of beliefs!

1 hour ago, DieterWiehe said:

Times change..... today women in Thailand cover ...* their * ...breasts as in the west. 

The answer to all the nonsense is to hollow it out and use it for discarding fags, condoms and the like. Not like a general, rubbish dustbin, but for stuff the Thai Authorities don't want on the beach. At least it would then be useful.

4 hours ago, hashmodha said:

Good Morning...nicely written....The word "Buddha".....comes from the Indian Gujarati/Sanskrit dialect....meaning literally"sense"....nothing to do any religion or religious beliefs.....a wrong doing comes from insensitive and ignorant beings!Our world is full of them..in every part of our society.''

Buddhism ( /ˈbʊdɪzəm/ or /ˈbdɪzəm/)[1][2] is a religion[3][4] and dharma that encompasses a variety of traditions, beliefs and spiritual practices

Some beg to differ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

Buddhism ( /ˈbʊdɪzəm/ or /ˈbuːdɪzəm/)[1][2] is a religion[3][4] and dharma that encompasses a variety of traditionsbeliefs and spiritual practices

Some beg to differ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism

Thanks...I just read Wikipedia...and the first line reads....THERE is no scholarly explanation of the word Religion...a collection and beliefs....
I forgot in a hurry this morning...the word was "Buddhi".....meaning sense....later interpreted as ...knowing....the one who knows....going towards enlightenment...a little faraway from the statue!...Thanks...Dharrma..meaning ...wisdom...

Unfortunatly the way many Bhuddists behave in Thailand does not bode well for the religion; senior members misbehaving and abusing the religion, corruption, monks drinking, smoking and taking drugs etc. How does anyone expect people to respect the religion if the members themselves abuse Bhuddism?

On 2/10/2018 at 10:51 AM, Enoon said:

"Many said they should be visited by the authorities to educate them about how inappropriate this was,"

Is that what Buddha would have done?

Is that what Buddha would suggest they do?

It's just a lump of stone folks.........let it go...........detach yourselves.

a beheaded Buddha is what is perceived as offensive.

otherwise a very revealing comment, about your empathy for another persons belief.

after being on this planet 60 years i have learned at least one thing about religion Don't antagonise, upset or insult their religion as wars have been fought through history over these issues - My advice steer well clear and distance yourself from any upset

21 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Well that's my next Christmas holiday sorted then!

Archived