Cycling Tour of Northern Thailand – Down the Basin and Range – Chiang Khong to Thoeng

Inspire

Cycling Tour of Northern Thailand – Down the Basin and Range – Chiang Khong to Thoeng

This blog has been provided by BALDBRADY’S BLOG for Inspire.

tour5.jpg

Nevada and it’s neighbors lie in North America’s Basin and Range Province, made famous in John McPhee Pulitzer Prize nominated book of the same name. Have a look at any map of this region and the mountain ranges on the map look like a swarm of worms fleeing Mexico for Canada. A look at a map of Northern Thailand shows a similar pattern of twisted worms headed for Myanmar and Laos, albeit at a smaller scale.

Like in Nevada, the Thai Basin and Range formed by stretching of the earths crust resulting in down-dropped basins, and up-thrown ranges. Today I rode along the edge of one of these worms, southward along the eastern edge of the Chiang Khong Basin. Mostly 4 lanes, but with very little traffic, the road gently rolled along the edge of the mountains. Today was supposed to be an easy day, only about 77 km, but after yesterday’s 119 km marathon, and with bright sun, a hot headwind, and gently rolling hills, It did not feel so easy.

tour8-300x114.jpeg

I had my first accident today. I was riding slowly up one of the hills, with my feet firmly clipped into the pedals, when I spotted a view suitable for a photo. I swerved off the road into a small driveway, but as I rolled to a stop, my toe clips picked a bad time not to release. With both toes locked to the pedals I did an inevitable, slow-motion fall onto my hip and elbow. Fortunately, I suffered no injuries save a badly bruised ego. Could have been far worse – there could have been an audience.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/cycling-tour-northern-thailand-basin-range-chiang-khong-thoeng/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2018-02-11

• Like 1