Going backpacking in Thailand

imyoung62

I’m going to Thailand this summer for a backpacking trip. I want to explore new things and new places. I just had my early retirement and I want to spend spend some of it on travelling. I need tips about backpacking in the city. Can anyone suggest an estimated budget guide? I would appreciate recommendations for the itinerary too.

A friend of mine who joined an Asian matchmaking tour gave me some ideas where to go. I would appreciate it if you could give me more. Do you know which restaurants I should visit too? I’m still finalizing my plans so all ideas are welcome. Thanks again you guys. Your comments will really help me.

Perhaps purchase a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide to Thailand ?  Loads of information !

IME Thailand is an excellent country to travel in, accomodation (guesthouses or hostels) are cheap and widely-available, the local train-service is quaint (if you're not in any hurry !) and frequent buses run between main cities, the people are welcoming and English is widely spoken (but to a basic level !).

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand

https://www.hihostels.com/destinations/th/hostels

• Like 1

Thailand is such a huge and fascinating country - there is something for everyone! I'd suggest you give some clues as to what you like and the type of days / nights that would interest you. List the things you'd like to get from the trip and the things that float your boat.

On 2/12/2018 at 1:12 PM, cornishcarlos said:

My tip... Don't take a backpack

Bag on wheels that opens up to access everything :)

You're welcome...

Second that, and waterproof bags within.   Backpacks are so passe, and attract unwanted attention from authorities.  A backpack is OK if you want to look like one of the great unwashed!!

And as cornishcarlos says in the post immediately above, NO minibuses.   Big buses are OK, train or fly better.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 2

Make your first destination a province/city North of a line Kanchaburi City to Dhammakhaya Temple (Pathum Thani) to Prachinburi City and the extension of that line West and East.

Do not travel South of that line, or other than by bus (VIP class) or train, for a month after you arrive.

Do not travel by minibus.

• Like 1

Don't backpack alone in Thailand, never, never, never............you are a target for every junkie, drunk driver..........recommend a motorbike trip on main roads, while in national parks, take someone else with you...........

Perhaps purchase a copy of the Lonely Planet Guide to Thailand ?  Loads of information !

IME Thailand is an excellent country to travel in, accomodation (guesthouses or hostels) are cheap and widely-available, the local train-service is quaint (if you're not in any hurry !) and frequent buses run between main cities, the people are welcoming and English is widely spoken (but to a basic level !).

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand

https://www.hihostels.com/destinations/th/hostels

I know Lonely Planet has a reputation but I just find these days it is just like a magazine for paying advertisers. I find the free Wikitravel/Wikivoyage online alot more informative and wide ranging. You can download it too for offline. I'd say Wikitravel and an agoda or other hotel app is a good way of planning and you don't have to pay Lonely Planet too.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I wouldn't make too many advance detailed plans that tie you down. You will be coming in low season and accommodation of all sorts is easily available. Transport by bus and plane is nowhere like as expensive as the West. Internal flights can be had for the equivalent of £20 English.

Act on impulse a bit, though always being mindful; not paranoid; about your personal safety.

Go with the flow and don't get stressed out about the inconveniences and occasional nuttiness you will experience in a developing country.

Your smartphone will act as map, camera, travel agent, reviewer and help in any emergency.

Have a great time.