Koh Losin

h90

Koh Losin (เกาะโลซิน) belongs to Pattani province

Losin consists of outcrops, almost at the far end of Gulf of Thailand and is part of Pattani Province. This outcrop lies outside of the Narathiwat shore by 55 miles. Underneath,visitors will find various lime stone outcrops of various shapes. The rock was in good condition and good shelter for large numbers of reef fishes such as schools of jacks, white and red snappers, bat fishes and barracudas. Here one also finds giant groupers, big sting rays, black tipped reef sharks and whale shark. Losin has a special unique character of its own.

post-19740-1169372004_thumb.jpg

LOSIN [ GULF OF THAILAND ]

A remote reef located approximately 100 km east of Narathiwat (province of the south of Thailand) in the warm, clear, furtile area where the Gulf of Thailand meets the deeper blue waters of the South China Sea. Losin is a tiny island with an old light house giving warning signal to passing boat as there is no other island in the radius of 100 square kilometres. Big fishes are abundant because of the distance from the shore and understroyed reef. A pristine example of a healthy reef, the marine life here is amazing, with black tip reef shark and bow mouthed guitar fish patrolling the deeper waters down to 40 metres and wher giant mantarays and even whale sharks mingle with the visiting divers among the huge table corals.

(from google cached)

Edited by BambinA

I assume you're a diver since Losin is not actually an island, but a pinnacle breaching the surface a few meters with a light beacon on it.

Underwater it's vast - it's only 'diveable' for 2-3 months in a year [sept/Oct] and when I say that, it's because the liveaboards go there only during these couple of months.

It's normally a three days two nights [7-8 dives] affair, and vessels used to depart from Narathiwat, and Songkhla [now].

There're usually whale shark sightings every year, and during the two months visibility can go up to 35 meters !

I assume you're a diver since Losin is not actually an island, but a pinnacle breaching the surface a few meters with a light beacon on it.

Underwater it's vast - it's only 'diveable' for 2-3 months in a year [sept/Oct] and when I say that, it's because the liveaboards go there only during these couple of months.

It's normally a three days two nights [7-8 dives] affair, and vessels used to depart from Narathiwat, and Songkhla [now].

There're usually whale shark sightings every year, and during the two months visibility can go up to 35 meters !

Thanks that makes it understandable why I couldn't find infos and no Thai know it.

Seasoned local Thai divers would know this place.

If you are interested to look at how Koh Losin looks like above, and underwater, take a look at this travelogue.

Scubajam

wounderfull pictures, I am so sorry that I can't read the text!

Thanks for it!

• 6 months later...

Nothing - just a rock...........

The water was nice and clear, but not really much to see, was nice, and quite deep most of the time.

Bad thing there is no protection. We had a 3 day trip with swells at about 2 meters when sleeping, the boat turns to and was parallel to the waves.......... virtually impossible to sleep. Sleep parallel to wave, u roll, sleep perpendicular, u feel like ur at NASA undergoing vertigo tests.

Make sure u have a nice flat sea.