Hot water heater repair

Beardog

Hi Guys Been a while since I been on TV.

I was wondering if there is anything I can test on our Stieble electron Water heater about 5 years old.

It worked fine & then nothing . It shows power going in but no elcb light or test light lights up.Nothing on the circuit board looks burned & I used electronic cleaner on all patrs & wires & still nothing. All connections were tight before I looked at it.We have a large Amorn electronic shop here in Pattaya & I was wondering (Crossy you probably know this answer) If it may be worth checking or just replacing it.I am not sure what the heating element cost but it just may be  the part that has a short in it. Since I don't have any specs on the unit I am not sure what to test to see what part croaked.And it is definitely getting power-I found out the answer by accident while testing for voltage when my pinkie snagged the power side.Ouch! Our voltage here had experienced 5 years of 210-235 volts & surged quite often along with many outages over the 5 years. The grounding system is solid & we had a competent sparky do the electrical so the grounding is fine on it. What you think on this one. I have been able to fix all electronics here since 2004 except for a TV that bit the big one on a lightning strike 2 meters from our house & a toaster that was ready to croak but this one has me stumped.

Any ideas?

Thanks Barry

That is always the answer but I can see it being a 40 baht resister & That does not make much sense to always replace when it can be fixed is why I am asking- However there are 7 or 8 of the long timers on TV that have the answer. & in the end that may be the answer but testing it first being a mechanic is my first option. I really rather look for an answer instead of Thai style just be a parts replacer like they want you to be. I think Crossy may have a basic schematic laying around of a typical  water on demand heater to see what part died. Not the cost as much as for me it would be doing it ass backwards & not trying to fix it first. I will wait for a bit to see if Pib or artisan or any of the older TV experts weigh in on this one

But thanks appreciate the try.

My apologies if this is a stupid question but ... is there a safety cut-out (scald guard) switch inside?

I had a problem with my Stiebel, under-sink water heater, due to the water running too slowly and overheating. Turned out to be a problem with the flexible water pipe, which was twisted.

Fixed the pipe and re-set the cut-out, and now is all OK.

10-years old water heater still going strong

Thanks Chickenlegs. The pipe seems fine Although as most of the on demand systems I had to cut the water input down quite a bit to keep the temperature warm enough. I kind of suspect the heating element since turning down the amount going in cant be great for the element.I just can't figure out without the schematics to see what the average volts to the unit should be but I think that is the critter that has failed. But I really do appreciate any info especially on the same company. The way electrical components die up in Thailand someone most likely has had the same thing happen to theirs.I would just chuck it but the unit is in pristine shape inside & out & no leaks which is the main cause of death on the heaters.....But I am far from a master on house electrics-especially 220 in Asia.

Archived