3BB Huawei HG630 V2 in bridged mode

damole

I just upgraded from 3BB ADSL to VDSL yesterday, the changeover will happen later today.  A friend gave me the standard 3BB modem/router which I want to use in bridge mode with my TPLink Archer D2.

I deleted the factory installed internet connection settings and created a new bridged mode connection.  It's working fine for now on my ADSL connection but I wonder if there is anything extra I will need to to once the switchover happens. 

3BB_HG630V2_bridged_mode.PNG.bb87d828fe669229d2d0dd898c6a92ee.PNG

You'll want to verify that the TPLink Archer D2 is being issued a WAN IP Address directly from the ISP, and not just a NAT address from the 3BB ISP router in the 192.168.x.x (usually indicating the bridge setting isn't actually working).

As you may already know, 'bridge' mode turns the original router into a basic media converter, so whatever IP address set or dynamically sent by the ISP will be sent directly to the second 'bridged' router (the TPLink Archer D2).

Unfortunately, while a bridged connection will give you greater flexability and options, 3BB may be issuing your Internet Connection a CGNAT WAN IP address -- reducing some of your available options.

If your initial setup doesn't work it's easy enough to call 3BB support and request they set your 3BB router into bridge mode for you (they usually can do so remotely). 

Once the changeover occured it disconnected partyly due to a new password.  Even after updating the password it would not connect so  I factory reset the router, entered my username/password checked that it worked by itself and then just changed the working connection to bridge mode and it worked.

This morning I tested the speed with testmy.net and speedof.me and got 10/1 and after the switch I am now getting 35/10.  Not a bad little speed bump for free.  At other times of the day I know it will be different but I am very happy with it so far.

Unlike the last time probably over 10 years ago that I used a modem/router in bridge mode this one I can still access through ethernet or WiFi to change the settings although I'll probably turn off the WiFi soon as it's sitting next to my D2.

3BB_HG630V2_bridged_mode.PNG.139ff4462350352ec2873c5cc49a5952.PNG

In my previous post I meant to say whatsmyip shows a different address but a copy/paste error got in the way.

I think my WAN IP addresses have been in this range for a long time but I think I do remember in the distant past it wasn't like this. 

Being provisioned as CGNAT usually doesn't matter for most Internet browsing usage.

The biggest issues with being on CGNAT is constantly having some services, like google, asking to confirm you're not a robot from so many similar users utilizing the same shared public-facing IP address of the CGNAT subscriber concentration routers. Of course the other issue with CGNAT is not being able to configure and utilize open ports to connect back to equipment inside their LAN because double-NAT is in effect.

Mentioning the distant past, some 3BB and TOT customers could call and ask to opt-out of the CGN provisioning and request being issued a Public IP address (saying they needed it for IP cameras and such). Not sure if either company is still granting exception provisioning (unless the account has been granted the exception in the past).