GTX1060 part deux

damole

After finally arriving back in Chiang Mai on Sunday, going out to Com Plaza/Ikon yesterday, the first JIB I enquired in had a number of models in stock although not many items of each model.  A few others shops also had one or two of a variety of brands and models.  The cheapest in JIB was the Gigabyte Aorus GTX1060 at THB 13,900.  I went home and checkled the price against the original UK price of £290 which I found in this review and so the current THB price is only at a 10% premium not taking into account FX movements.

GigabyteAorusGTX1060.jpg.976786d74a16e4d840523eb96c109264.jpg

Very impressive framerate boost with my games that were struggling.  My motherboard is PCIe 2.0 and the card is PCIe 3.0 so not sure how much performance is lost because of that.  Managed to tidy up the cables a little bit and remove one althogether.  I also removed the Creative X-Fi card I was using because it seems HDMI audio is the way to go if you're using a receiver and speakers exclusively.

Next up is to overclock the CPU a little.

TidyPC1280.jpg.32f74695d7599254b1d47730f0a1fc81.jpg

11 minutes ago, damole said:

Very impressive framerate boost with my games that were struggling.  My motherboard is PCIe 2.0 and the card is PCIe 3.0 so not sure how much performance is lost because of that.  Managed to tidy up the cables a little bit and remove one althogether.  I also removed the Creative X-Fi card I was using because it seems HDMI audio is the way to go if you're using a receiver and speakers exclusively.

Next up is to overclock the CPU a little.

TidyPC1280.jpg.32f74695d7599254b1d47730f0a1fc81.jpg

Nice case, I use the same.

About the overclocking: I suggest just change the multiplicator and the CPU voltage and nothing else. You can overclock the CPU a lot with just those without much hassle.

Did you select your 1060 model because it was the cheapest of the 1060 cards?

Early last year when I was last in Chiang Mai I was looking at the Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6G model, the price at Advice was 12,300 THB, and waiting for the price to drop but when I went to Com Plaza/Ikon this past week the cheapest card on offer at JIB was the Aorus which I think is higher in the range.  At other shops there were some lower spec cards at a similar price.

JIB is showing the G1 Gaming now at 15,500 THB and other cards so I guess new stock must have arrived in Thailand.

https://jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/22491/17/VGA-GIGABYTE-GTX1060-G1-GAMING-6G-DDR5-192-BIT

https://notebookspec.com/pc-vga/GIGABYTE-GTX1060-G1-GAMING/610

https://online.advice.co.th/product/A0101526

The Aorus card has a metal backplate so it quite heavy.  Do you have a link to the strut you purchased?

I like the PSU BTW, mine is partially modular so there are 4 cables that are encapsulated and the others are socket.

10 hours ago, damole said:

I like the PSU BTW, mine is partially modular so there are 4 cables that are encapsulated and the others are socket.

Personally I don't like power supplies with sockets.

More connections = more possible bad connections = more headache.

Personally I don't care if there are a couple of unused power cables in the case. After I build the PC I close it. The important part is that it works.

12 hours ago, damole said:

The Aorus card has a metal backplate so it quite heavy.  Do you have a link to the strut you purchased?

I got this:

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/case-accessories/universal-graphics-card-holder-2-supports/

Can't see it on Invade IT's site, but maybe ask them.,

Personally I don't like power supplies with sockets.
More connections = more possible bad connections = more headache.
Personally I don't care if there are a couple of unused power cables in the case. After I build the PC I close it. The important part is that it works.

But if your case is windowed, it’s good to make the internals look presentable!
IMG_8468.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/17/2018 at 5:56 PM, FracturedRabbit said:

These graphics cards can be very heavy and tend to sag in the case. I got a support strut from InvadeIT which takes the load at the end of the card and keeps it horizontal in the case (can just be made out in the photo). 

The Coolermaster VGA holder is now available on Advice.co.th.

Archived