Frenchman killed in motorcycle crash on Samui

webfact

16 hours ago, huberthammer said:

<Snipped> Speed fines could bring some much needed cash for road improvements (okay - I am getting carried away but at least this would be an incentive for the BIB as well...) and help to reduce at least some of the extreme road behaviour.

There is so much revenue generated by Samui but my understanding is that the distribution of money in the province is deliberately biased to the main land and the Surat Thani area where the roads by comparison are fantastic and I would use my front brake first  :wink:

On 2/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, Mark mark said:

Nice, <<snipped>>

On 2/15/2018 at 7:12 PM, Mark mark said:

I used to ride a TZR, (Yakima) <<snipped>>

I dislike double posts, but I feel I need to do it .......

On 2/16/2018 at 7:15 AM, ttrd said:

RE Your video is for perfect conditions

Its actually not as it doesnt matter what riding conditions you will meet as the physical laws will remain the same - you just adjust Your braking technic 

It does matter what riding conditions you are subjected to. The physical laws are the same all around the world, the road conditions and riders/drivers aren't.

1 hour ago, TheLobster said:

I dislike double posts, but I feel I need to do it .......

It does matter what riding conditions you are subjected to. The physical laws are the same all around the world, the road conditions and riders/drivers aren't.

Hey mr wise lobster...;)

You cannot take something out of the context and Box it how you like and throw it back as something else....

Of course it matters but that was not the point. The point was that the physical Law is not different on Koh Samui than other Places and based on that fact the breaking technique will basically be the same with just some more carefull touch when the weather conditions get worse - i.e, the combination of using both rear and front brake will go from 80/20 (dry) to 50/50 (wet). This discussion was started based on that someone claimed that he was riding with the hand on the rear brake ready to kick in which is both wrong and dangerous...

Edited by ttrd

Yes I think that I would prefer to be on the back of the guy From ko samui's bike , the guy who talks about riding according to the conditions, and undeerstanding Thailand. Rather than the guys with the uk/ norwegian video. ...

Hey has any one else done 170 k an hour down the Asia highway on a rice burner ??? ... Now you could not do that on one of your little "Alfonso on an afternoon out in Rome",  scooters could you .. And well a wet road and on a scooter .?.. do not use the front break at all ? ???.. ...

No just do not be there .... on a Scooter in the first place...

Hope that Our dearest forum friend Aussie Osborne from Melbourne who seems to start drinking early in the morning while he generously gives driving/braking advices on the forum will warn us when he will be back on the roads in Thailand....:coffee1:

3 hours ago, ttrd said:

Hope that Our dearest forum friend Aussie Osborne from Melbourne who seems to start drinking early in the morning while he generously gives driving/braking advices on the forum will warn us when he will be back on the roads in Thailand....:coffee1:

Sober as a Judge Mate, ... only high on Resoto, Meatballs and Good Spicey Melbourni Tomato Sauce, ... and do not worry, I do not intend driving in your (Crazy) part of Thailand, unless absolutely necessary !!! ... Too many Crazy Folangs !!!... (I nealy lost my wing mirror there, last time I took that chance) .....

Ps I am from Adelaide actualy, Via Ayuttahya, but all the cheap flights go there via Melbourni ... Ps The Guy from Ko Samui, who has his hand on the back break, so he does not forget it, and takes in to consideration the state of the Thai roads, ... and the Thais them selves, ....  is about the smartest guy in this forum, this time.  .... But there have been mostly good and smart coments just about all round this time also.

Like going to fast, on a scooter, straight doan the white line, in the middle of the road, not watching, and then hitting the front break too hard !!! End of story.

...  Thanks fellas, the good spirit, condolances for the French Man, (We all run greater risks being in Thailand), but the Inteligence has been very refreshing.

Thanks.

Edited by Mark mark
Dots
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Sober as a Judge Mate, ... only high on Resoto, Meatballs and Good Spicey Melbourni Tomato Sauce, ... and do not worry, I do not intend driving in your (Crazy) part of Thailand, unless absolutely necessary !!! ... Too many Crazy Folangs !!!... (I nealy lost my wing mirror there, last time I took that chance) .....

Ps I am from Adelaide actualy, Via Ayuttahya, but all the cheap flights go there via Melbourni ... Ps The Guy from Ko Samui, who has his hand on the back break, so he does not forget it, and takes in to consideration the state of the Thai roads, ... and the Thais them selves, ....  is about the smartest guy in this forum, this time.  .... But there have been mostly good and smart coments just about all round this time also.

Like going to fast, on a scooter, straight doan the white line, in the middle of the road, not watching, and then hitting the front break too hard !!! End of story.

...  Thanks fellas, the good spirit, condolances for the French Man, (We all run greater risks being in Thailand), but the Inteligence has been very refreshing.

Thanks.

Mate, you are as wrong With Your assumption about my location as you are wrong when it comes to Your claimed wiseness of the man on Samui who intend to use the rear brake as the main brake (With the exception  when he perform a wheelie...;)

Cheers!

8 hours ago, ttrd said:

Mate, you are as wrong With Your assumption about my location as you are wrong when it comes to Your claimed wiseness of the man on Samui who intend to use the rear brake as the main brake (With the exception  when he perform a wheelie...;)

Cheers!

I have no idea of your location, and did not state it either, maybe you are reading things in to this that are not there. ... Time for me to do somethig different. ... Enjoy youbreaking Practce. I hope that you DO get it right. and good luck on that. On On Mark mark ...

the thai way of crossing as intersection or making a uturn....,bullie your way out until the uncoming traffic must either slow down or sstop,...this way ,the responsibility is on the oncoming driver(s)  ...the  bullie style only works when all drivers are paying attention...

Edited by mok199
speliing

On 2/14/2018 at 6:11 PM, lust said:

Stop complaining about the lack of police enforcement. This isn’t your country. You signed up to these dangers before you came here. So annoying reading the same comments from people criticizing Thailand. 

Dont like? GO HOME!

Ah yes, the "if you don't like it go home" brigade!!

Well how about you spare a thought for the vast majority of Thais that would also like to see the roads safer for the safety of their families!!   Every Thai i know is in total agreement with anyone voicing views on increasing road safety.  

You really don't need to hide in some subservient faring shell to live here, merely voice your disapprovals and wishes in a polite and respectful manner.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 3:01 AM, Mark mark said:

I have no idea of your location, and did not state it either, maybe you are reading things in to this that are not there. ... Time for me to do somethig different. ... Enjoy youbreaking Practce. I hope that you DO get it right. and good luck on that. On On Mark mark ...

RE - I have no idea of your location, and did not state it either

Well, for me it looks like you did since you claimed this:

"I do not intend driving in your (Crazy) part of Thailand, unless absolutely necessary !!!"

BUT who cares neither to do and/or to say Things right these days....

On 2/23/2018 at 7:03 AM, Mark mark said:

Sober as a Judge Mate, <Snip> Ps The Guy from Ko Samui, who has his hand on the back break, so he does not forget it, and takes in to consideration the state of the Thai roads, ... and the Thais them selves, ....  is about the smartest guy in this forum

Thanks.

I completely agree with you!

On 2/25/2018 at 10:49 AM, carmine said:

Ah yes, the "if you don't like it go home" brigade!!

Well how about you spare a thought for the vast majority of Thais that would also like to see the roads safer for the safety of their families!!   Every Thai i know is in total agreement with anyone voicing views on increasing road safety.  

You really don't need to hide in some subservient faring shell to live here, merely voice your disapprovals and wishes in a polite and respectful manner.

Sorry Carmine, I don't see it, the majority do not wear helmets unless there is a police check, they carry them around just in case they come across one.

On 25/02/2018 at 8:42 PM, ttrd said:

RE - I have no idea of your location, and did not state it either

Well, for me it looks like you did since you claimed this:

"I do not intend driving in your (Crazy) part of Thailand, unless absolutely necessary !!!"

BUT who cares neither to do and/or to say Things right these days....

I was really just referring to the area, and areas like it, where the poor fellow was killed, but yes, there was an Inference about you I guess, so sorry about that Geographic error.

Many people seem to have agreed with my comments on braking, and the use of motorbikes in Thailand, …  So Intelligence ?    No Practical Logicality, like it is logical and easy, … for evenhanded people to agree with suck things.  Practical Logically.    That sort of it what the Thais do, though well I had better be careful stating stuff like that here, if I do not want to get Trolled, and end up with an argument !!!  Right ?

And you close … "BUT who cares neither to do and/or to say Things right these days...." …  Well you can bring your own ideas about wrong and right and prejudices with you mate, … but do not expect the rest of us to always agree with them.

On 24/02/2018 at 11:32 PM, mok199 said:

the thai way of crossing as intersection or making a uturn....,bullie your way out until the uncoming traffic must either slow down or sstop,...this way ,the responsibility is on the oncoming driver(s)  ...the  bullie style only works when all drivers are paying attention...

Well, it is not actually bullying your way in you know, … where you and I come from, where we usually have lower traffic volumes,  and with our road system that has pretty tight rules, that work, it might be considered to be, but well, I have been told by the most urbane BKK residents, that well, if you are coming out of a side street, or un controlled drive way, in the morning or midafternoon, and trying to get in to the main road, and you do not push in, you still might be there at 11 O'clock that night !!! ...

Like every one pushes in, when the traffic speed slows down. And the people on the main road expect it, and let you in also, from my experience, (As long as you do it fast, and do not make them have to slow down, TIT of course, which is not that hard to do) ....  Very courteous and Kind People in my Experience, not like where we have it back in my hometown at all, (???)  Back in wide Roads, low Traffic Volumes and … “It’s My RIGHT (To F’ everyone else up)” Adelaide, where they will close up the gap, if there is one, as fast as they can   without breaking the speed limit though, …..."The Rules you know" !!! …

... Or worse Hit you over the head with a Tire Iron, if they are in a Bad mood, or on drugs. ... No I actually like driving in Thailand better, where 95% of the people are courteous, ... despite the totally Way to overcrowded urban areas. ...

… No it is not Bullying, it is social Coherence, where we all are in the same shit can, on the roads, and we know it, like they know it also !!!  ... So you just be Courteous, and let the other 10,000 in. ... One or two at a Time of course ! ... And as long as they do not make you slow down ! Right ...

• Like 1

Have you ever been to Saigon, where the rules are basically "Aim for the gaps" ? …

Like a thousand uncontrolled intersections, with no traffic lights, where while one direction is running with a volume of traffic ! … But the motor cycles going in the cross direction, are just build slowly up, …  Until there are more of them, than the ones crossing, … and they just start slowly edge out there, en mass !!! ...... Like Power in the numbers that they now have, and well out numbering the traffic going in the other direction, and then they just take over the intersection, and they ALL cross, ... and continue to do so,

… Until the ones now stopped, that were going in the original direction, start to build up in numbers again, unstill they have the Numbers again, …  and then they take the intersection back ! ... And on it goes all day and night !

… And you can cross the Road ... Just start walking, and walk in a straight slow direction, and do not make any unpredictable changes of speed or direction ! .... And you can walk across a wide street, with a thousand Motor bikes going down it .... And they will all miss you !  ... And they not even get phased or upset, … 

Like this is not Bullying, … It is Dealing with Asia, and the situation that we have ! … The real situation on the Ground ! And if you can pick the pattern, … and get it right ! Well then Life is Beautiful, for Millions of people, squashed in a very small space really, … Well yes, it IS, way WAY Over Populated now.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 7:15 AM, ttrd said:

Thanks for the invitiation, but the physical laws also apply to Samui ...;)

In England ....

Forgot to point out that this training video is for a manual motorbike, completely different to to ones ridden by most people on Samui, which are automatics.

For those of you that don't know, the left hand lever on an automatic bike is the back brake, on a manual bike it is the clutch, the back brake is a pedal on the right hand side on a manual bike (normally).

So as per my main point on an automatic bike I have tried to retrain myself to use the left hand lever, remove my hand from the front brake lever and hence the use back brake first, then the front brake ...

16 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

In England ....

Forgot to point out that this training video is for a manual motorbike, completely different to to ones ridden by most people on Samui, which are automatics.

For those of you that don't know, the left hand lever on an automatic bike is the back brake, on a manual bike it is the clutch, the back brake is a pedal on the right hand side on a manual bike (normally).

So as per my main point on an automatic bike I have tried to retrain myself to use the left hand lever, remove my hand from the front brake lever and hence the use back brake first, then the front brake ...

Despite the posistion of the brake handles the physical laws remain the same so do the braking technique (front/rear brake - 20/80 dry - 50/50 wet)...:coffee1:

11 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Well, it is not actually bullying your way in you know, … where you and I come from, where we usually have lower traffic volumes,  and with our road system that has pretty tight rules, that work, it might be considered to be, but well, I have been told by the most urbane BKK residents, that well, if you are coming out of a side street, or un controlled drive way, in the morning or midafternoon, and trying to get in to the main road, and you do not push in, you still might be there at 11 O'clock that night !!! ...

Like every one pushes in, when the traffic speed slows down. And the people on the main road expect it, and let you in also, from my experience, (As long as you do it fast, and do not make them have to slow down, TIT of course, which is not that hard to do) ....  Very courteous and Kind People in my Experience, not like where we have it back in my hometown at all, (???)  Back in wide Roads, low Traffic Volumes and … “It’s My RIGHT (To F’ everyone else up)” Adelaide, where they will close up the gap, if there is one, as fast as they can   without breaking the speed limit though, …..."The Rules you know" !!! …

... Or worse Hit you over the head with a Tire Iron, if they are in a Bad mood, or on drugs. ... No I actually like driving in Thailand better, where 95% of the people are courteous, ... despite the totally Way to overcrowded urban areas. ...

… No it is not Bullying, it is social Coherence, where we all are in the same shit can, on the roads, and we know it, like they know it also !!!  ... So you just be Courteous, and let the other 10,000 in. ... One or two at a Time of course ! ... And as long as they do not make you slow down ! Right ...

555 ..I like your attitude ,we need more ''social coherence'',tolerance and compassion,across the board.. but sometimes.... ''hell is other people''...have a good day and be safe out thier.....J

On 3/1/2018 at 12:31 AM, ttrd said:

Despite the posistion of the brake handles the physical laws remain the same so do the braking technique (front/rear brake - 20/80 dry - 50/50 wet)...:coffee1:

555  A Norwegian posting training videos from England, in English (where I have substantial experience of riding) telling me how to ride on Samui in Thailand (where I have substantial experience of riding) and posting incorrect information at that.

It seems that you don't know what you are talking about, I was on the Bangrak main road today and I would say most of the people riding had a hand on their back brakes, but you know better right!? Do you have any experience of riding a motorbike or 'scooter' on Samui?

7 hours ago, TheLobster said:

555  A Norwegian posting training videos from England, in English (where I have substantial experience of riding) telling me how to ride on Samui in Thailand (where I have substantial experience of riding) and posting incorrect information at that.

It seems that you don't know what you are talking about, I was on the Bangrak main road today and I would say most of the people riding had a hand on their back brakes, but you know better right!? Do you have any experience of riding a motorbike or 'scooter' on Samui?

Lobster,

I am really sorry if I by mistake have hurt Your feelings as this was not my intention whatsoever.

My input was mainly to give an advice on how to use the brakes correctly as pointed out by experts. You and others are of course free to brake how you want and if you chose to adopt the braking habits from a country who is among the worst in the world when it comes to road accidents then you are also free to do so.

What we should keep in mind is that despite a high numbers of persons doing something doesnt automaticly justify the corectness of how its done and those of us who are raised and trained in a more developed country should know better and through that fact use our knowledge to develop our surroundings rather than adopt their mistakes which no-one benefits from....:coffee1:

Back on topic;  @ 11am at the same spot a casualty was being tended. As far as I could tell it was a face down and motionless female wearing a full faced helmet. I dropped water to the assistants as I crawled past.

I hope she's OK.

Edited by evadgib

44 minutes ago, evadgib said:

image.png.778fd959c6ea1ef2241e5877cdd572f0.png

If Thailand introduced a mandatory brake course (as a start) the numbers of accidents would have been reduced significantly in a short period of time....:coffee1:

The brake is a little more than just a brake and the understanding of using it correct individually and in combination is crucial and the key to achieve a different outcome:

http://www.therideadvice.com/the-motorcycle-back-brake-is-there-for-a-reason-use-it/

Edited by ttrd

15 hours ago, ttrd said:

Lobster,

I am really sorry if I by mistake have hurt Your feelings as this was not my intention whatsoever.

There is no need to apologise to me. You haven't hurt my feelings, you just don't understand. You are posting comments and videos about how to brake in 'ideal' and 'less than ideal' conditions. 

You have no idea of the conditions or the outrageously bad driving/riding on Samui, but you think you know better, which would make you a statistic on Samui.

Topical, I once went somewhere where it was so cold that grit and ice didn't work. I asked the taxi driver what they did in this situation and he said 'we don't use the brakes'.

4 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

There is no need to apologise to me. You haven't hurt my feelings, you just don't understand. You are posting comments and videos about how to brake in 'ideal' and 'less than ideal' conditions. 

You have no idea of the conditions or the outrageously bad driving/riding on Samui, but you think you know better, which would make you a statistic on Samui.

Topical, I once went somewhere where it was so cold that grit and ice didn't work. I asked the taxi driver what they did in this situation and he said 'we don't use the brakes'.

Dont put Your feelings in the brakes, but brake with feelings...:coffee1:

Edited by ttrd

13 hours ago, evadgib said:

Back on topic;  @ 11am at the same spot a casualty was being tended. As far as I could tell it was a face down and motionless female wearing a full faced helmet. I dropped water to the assistants as I crawled past.

I hope she's OK.

Maenam soi 1, be careful there. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Maenam soi 1, be careful there. 

it is actually bit further down, just next to entrance of Soi 3. Semantics - fact is same stretch of road and it is terrifying how many accidents happen around here.  I am just surprised that the BIB have not identified the huge money making opportunity in doing speed checks.

22 hours ago, ttrd said:

Dont put Your feelings in the brakes, but brake with feelings...:coffee1:

<deleted>

Anyway, this road through Maenam and the one along Bangrak at the seafront are notorious for people speeding and accidents/deaths.

I was on the Bangrak road tonight, (in a car) I was undertaken by some plonker with his wife on the back sitting sideways with a baby in hand. He then moved right into my path and I would have hit them if I hadn't braked. This is what it is like on Samui. I have learned to be Jai Yen. Don't want to kill anyone, even if their parents are idiots........

29 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

<deleted>

Anyway, this road through Maenam and the one along Bangrak at the seafront are notorious for people speeding and accidents/deaths.

I was on the Bangrak road tonight, (in a car) I was undertaken by some plonker with his wife on the back sitting sideways with a baby in hand. He then moved right into my path and I would have hit them if I hadn't braked. This is what it is like on Samui. I have learned to be Jai Yen. Don't want to kill anyone, even if their parents are idiots........

Sure - I have no doubts about the driving conditions on Samui which is pretty similar to other locatons in Thailand.

What I have doubts about is Your claimed brake habit due to the driving conditions which make you focus on the rear brake as the main brake which is wrong...

It doesnt matter where you are in Thailand or in the world for that matter the correct braking technique remains the same. For the same reason the motorbikes, scoters and the cars in Thailand are equipped with a stronger front brake than the rear brake and should of the same reason be used accordingly in Thailand as for the rest of the world - case closed - next...:coffee1: