Getting a new passport. What to do about visa/stamps?

My old passport was full.  Picking up a new one in a few days.  A week later, I'll fly to Vientiane for a new Visa.

What is the protocol?  Do I need to go to immigration in Bangkok to transfer stuff from the old to the new passport?  Or do they deal with it at the border?

I'm Canadian in Bangkok and I like pepperoni pizza.

Thanks!

Immigration in Bangkok will not transfer your stamps unless you have gotten an extension.

You can use both passports on departure form the country. The will transfer the entry stamp from the old one to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration in Bangkok will not transfer your stamps unless you have gotten an extension.

You can use both passports on departure form the country. The will transfer the entry stamp from the old one to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

Joe, thanks.

I have a visa + extension stamp in the old passport.

So in that case, do I have to transfer those at immigration in Bangkok?  Or can I skip that and just bring both passports to the airport on my way out?

What if we did a border hop + 30 days extention for the last time witn old passport and will leave the country with new passport by land border for another border hop (maybe Ban Laem)? 

When I was at Changwattana for the lastest extension, I asked an officer that do we need to come here for stamp transferring after we get new PP? She said as long as it's just an exemption + extension we don't have to come. They will do it for us at the airport when we leave. 

Although, when we got a new PP, The US embassy gave us a letter which attention to Immigration Office at Changwattana, says that please help transfer the stamp to the new book.

Please advice.

Edited by Paduppa

12 minutes ago, Paduppa said:

What if we did a border run + 30 days extention for the last time witn old passport and will leave the country with new passport by land border (maybe Ban Laem)? 

When I was their for an extension, I asked an officer at Changwattana Immigration that do we need to come here for stamp transferring? She said as long as it's just exemption + extension you don't have to come. They will do it for you at the airport. 

Although, when we got a new PP, The US embassy gave us a letter which attention to Immigration Office at Changwattana, says that please help transfer the stamp to the new book.

You could use both passports at a border crossing but some will send you to a nearby immigration office.

I have read reports that at Ban Laem they charge a fee to do the stamp transfer. A visa run company that goes there want you to inform them if you need to do a stamp transfer on their website.

Chaeng Wattana did say at the airport.

The US embassy gives that letter to everybody that gets a new passport. They don't look to see what stamps you might need to have transferred.