Conversion Of A Tourist Visa To Retirement Extension.

I'm posting this on behalf of another forum member who's too shy to pose the question himself.

He's a 54-year-old Brit and wishes to retire to Thailand. He's been to the Thai consulate in Glasgow where he was informed that in order to qualify for such a visa he has to be 55. As far as both he and I are aware, the relevant age is 50, not 55, but he now has a single entry 60-day tourist visa. Can he go to the local immigration office in Thailand and apply in-country for his one-year retirement extension? He has his police report and medical report, and has recently shifted over the 800,000 baht to his Thai bank account.

Cheers,

Scouse.

OK, I will give this a try, and the more expert can confirm.

Yes, this man can retire in Thailand at 54 as the qualifying age is 50.

Yes, he can convert his tourist visa to a retirement extension in Thailand, but first he must convert his tourist visa to a non immigrant O visa, again possible in Thailand.

He can throw away his medical and police report. Not needed in Thailand.

I see an issue with the money. If qualifying on bank account, the money needs to be in the thai bank account for a full THREE MONTHS before applying for the extension. Also, over 800K has to still be in there at the date of extension application.

So, what to do?

Figure out a way to season the money for three months is what to do. This might involve the need to get another tourist visa in Malaysia, depending on the exact timing.

Or perhaps he can delay his trip to Thailand to make sure that the money will be in the account long enough when applying for the non O and extension. For example, stay out of Thailand 60 days, enter Thailand, stay 30 days on the 60 day tourist visa, then go to immigration to sort it out.

One detail I don't know about is whether he can enter Thailand on a 30 day stamp and convert to a non immigrant O in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

but first he must convert his tourist visa to a non immigrant O visa, again possible in Thailand.

I have a feeling, although not sure, that a Non Imm "O" has to be applied for at a Kingdom Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand?

In any event Good Luck,

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

but first he must convert his tourist visa to a non immigrant O visa, again possible in Thailand.

I have a feeling, although not sure, that a Non Imm "O" has to be applied for at a Kingdom Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand?

In any event Good Luck,

Moss

Read last part of this post:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1094006

These days most seem to just obtain what you have, a tourist visa, and make the change at Immigration at the 2,000 baht fee. And then go on to extend for retirement.
Edited by Jingthing

'An alien must apply for a non-immigrant visa "code O" at a Thai Embassy or Consulate abroad before entering the Kingdom. Duration of first permit: As warranted by this visa, permission is given for a period of 90 days. Duration of extension: The Immigration Office will grant him a maximum extension of one year at a time'.

I got this quote, straight from the TV front page, I have also also heard it from someone else who said this is what they did.

Having said that, this is a situation that is off my radar, so I would rather follow your advice than my attempt at trying to ensure all bases are covered.

I did say that I wasn't sure, but it is always best to check these things out.

In my opinion that is.

Good Luck

Moss

Front page, schmunt page.

Check this link about entering with a 30 day stamp and then getting both a Non Immigrant O visa and a retirement extension IN THAILAND. Certainly if it works with a 30 day stamp, it would also work with a tourist visa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...retirement+visa

Edited by Jingthing

1. The tourist visa can be changed without any 3 month rule. Once here he can convert the tourist visa to non immigrant O visa at immigration with payment of 2,000 baht and evidence of 800k in Thai bank account (old rules are used for conversion).

2. He should wait for about 30 days before doing this to allow his bank account to age a month as the extension of stay will require the three month period in bank.

3. After change of visa he will have 90 day non immigrant which he can they wait 2 more month - getting his account into the three month in bank - and then make application of extension of stay. Cost 1,900 baht.

4. As said medical and police reports are not required.

5. He could, if he has, use the 65k income/pension option with embassy letter/proof and avoid the 3 month rule for bank deposit.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll bring the thread to the member's attention, and it'll be a weight off his mind that he can enter on a tourist visa and then convert.

Cheers,

Scouse.

Thank you Scouse and all other members for your advice on this thread, it has been very helpful.

BT putting more than Big Toe in LOS ( I hope) :o

I kinda guessed it was you BT, the Shy Guy bit threw me for a while though :D

Glad to have helped with my unestimiable and unquestioning knowledge that is always to the pint :o and of course very factual.

Good Luck to yourself and to your better half.

Moss and Family and bump of course

2. He should wait for about 30 days before doing this to allow his bank account to age a month as the extension of stay will require the three month period in bank.

3. After change of visa he will have 90 day non immigrant which he can they wait 2 more month - getting his account into the three month in bank - and then make application of extension of stay.

Lopburi,

Say I enter Jan 1 on a tourist visa -- and thus get a 60-day 'permitted to stay' stamp. Then, on 1 Feb, I convert to a Non Imm O, as I meet all the requirements for a retirement extension. I am now (presumably, based on the quote above) allowed to stay 90 days from the date of conversion, essentially converting my original 60-days permitted to stay into 120-days permitted to stay. Yes, somewhere during that 120 days I'll apply for a year's extension based on retirement.....

But, question: Presuming I'll get a new 'permitted to stay' stamp on 1 Feb, the date I convert to a Non Imm O, will my subsequent 1 year extension begin on 1 Feb -- or on 1 Jan, the date I last entered Thailand?

If I may jump in on your question to lopburi3, I recently went through this process and my one year extention was back dated to commence on the day I entered Thailand on a tourist visa, so in essence I got a retirement extension of my non-imm O for about nine months the first time. Subsequent ones will be for the full 365 days.

I answered this one time but my circuit has been so bad today it must have been lost. You are extending your visa entry so the count starts from the day you entered Thailand. As PTE says following years will be the full 365 days.

Pardon me for asking (as I have looked but not found), as I am married to a thai citizen and over 50, am I still required to invest 800K baht to retire there?

Howard

Atlanta, GA

1. The tourist visa can be changed without any 3 month rule. Once here he can convert the tourist visa to non immigrant O visa at immigration with payment of 2,000 baht and evidence of 800k in Thai bank account (old rules are used for conversion).

3. After change of visa he will have 90 day non immigrant which he can they wait 2 more month - getting his account into the three month in bank - and then make application of extension of stay. Cost 1,900 baht.

4. As said medical and police reports are not required.

5. He could, if he has, use the 65k income/pension option with embassy letter/proof and avoid the 3 month rule for bank deposit.

Nobody is required to invest anything. Over 50 and married to a Thai you can use two methods of extension of stay.

1. Family income of 40k per month. Yearly extension of stay. Three month rule. Likely to be several months of under review period.

2. Retirement income of 65k per month or 800k in bank account or combination. Yearly extension of stay. Three month rule. Extension immediate.

Number one you do with spouse. Number two you do alone. You can use money in bank account after extension granted.