Dash Cam onto Rear View Mirror

canthai55

Been in a number of Uber cars recently. Most have this type which fastens onto the inside mirror. Most have forward and rear facing camera, cost aprox 2000 baht. Has a large screen, toggle between front and back. Auto start and stop.

Anyone have one ? Like ? Brand recommendations ?

Yep ... ours is by DENGO ... be careful ...there are two qualities 1999 and 2999. A world of difference.

ALSO ... some have the 'screen' on the right ... of the mirror...very distracting.

Had ours now two years ... every time you stop the engin a file is locked so you have to format your chip every couple of weeks or so else there is no room left to save recordings ...

Only problem for me is gps is not available on them so no recording of speed ...

It saves A and B files ...front and rear ...

Edited by JAS21
Used my own personal dictionary ...
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. Uber driver this AM, on the way to pick my car from the shop, had one with a very nice picture. Screen on the left. Buttons on the bottom. Front and rear. Had it for over a year and never did anything to it he said. Always worked, displays a green square (could not see it well) when recording.

I tried one of the integrated mirror cams and found that the field its vision was very narrow and I could never get/keep the cam on the back pointed to the center of the road (Note your mirror is slanted towards the driver so you must point the lens on the back to center it on the road... but with road vibration the lens eventually moves off the center of the road)... And you really don't need the view the cam - its more of a distraction to see the screen on the mirror... What you want is a good clear recording of any accident after the fact that can be easily accessed and viewed!...

I ended up with this kind... I really like that it has a 165% field of view... High definition and you can view and set up everything from your smartphone or tablet...

https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-yi-car-dash-cam-1080p-camera-wifi-dvr-gray-action-cam-41605110.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.36.129f4a72XyuGuR

1 minute ago, sfokevin said:

I tried one of the integrated mirror cams and found that the field its vision was very narrow and I could never get/keep the cam on the back pointed to the center of the road (Note your mirror is slanted towards the driver so you must point the lens on the back to center it on the road... but with road vibration the lens eventually moves off the center of the road)... And you really don't need the view the cam - its more of a distraction to see the screen on the mirror... What you want is a good clear recording of any accident after the fact that can be easily accessed and viewed!...

I ended up with this kind... I really like that it has a 165% field of view... High definition and you can view and set up everything from your smartphone or tablet...

https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-yi-car-dash-cam-1080p-camera-wifi-dvr-gray-action-cam-41605110.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.36.129f4a72XyuGuR

Two questions Kevin:

Can you leave it in the car or do you have to take it out because of the heat during the day?

What is the power supply, does it need a lengthy unsightly cable to be routed?

^^^ We have had it in the car for over a year no problem... The cable it comes with was long enough to hide it around the door seal and under the dash to where I have a multi cigarette plug hidden (I have a GPS and USB adapter also plugged into the multi-plug under the dash)...

Its a great piece of kit... The only drawback it the cam itself is in Chinese (Most all of these are including your mirror types)... But the App you download from Apple or Google is all English so you never have to fool around with those tiny buttons on the device itself... Another nice feature is that you can view all the recording on your smartphone and download any videos to your phone

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

It would be ideal if it were not for the need to reformat every few weeks, is there a version that has loop recording?

Yes of course it loop records BUT every time you shut the engine off that 3 minute file (actually two of course) is saved and locked. So eventually your chip gets full of locked files ...depending on how often you stop the engine is how often you need to re-format the chip ...I do it when I remember ...

Edited by JAS21

Also most of these cams have a function that is a motion sensor so if it senses a jolt (like in an accident) it lock saves that video... But in use just about any jolt (like a pothole) will trigger it - this eventually fills the memory card - I just turned this function off - in the event of a real accident I would remove the card and keep it safe (I would not give it to anyone until I had made a copy)...

Also you mentioned the Uber driver had a popular rear facing camera... my bet is that is to record the passenger not any potential

traffic accident from behind ;-)

before you you buy any model search for it in YouTube to see examples of image quality and field of view

Edited by sfokevin

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

... my bet is that is to record the passenger not any potential

traffic accident from behind ;-)

Rear camera recorded behind vehicle. I watched while he toggled it.

Will check the recommendations as post above.

Thanks

I got one from tukom a couple of weeks ago for 1500 baht, you will find the prices seem to have come down a little, I looked at the same one for 2,000 + a couple of months ago. They now appear to have all the features, record back and front, battery, motion and vibration sensor, continuous recording (16gb card gives 2 days then over writes the oldest) impact sensor (serious g force and it keeps recording on battery while you are unconscious and locks the file so it cant be overwritten). 

I installed it myself, tuck the cables into the trim, power to cig lighter or fuse box, cable to rear with camera sitting on rear parcel shelf, also a wire to connect to rear of reversing lights so it switches to rear camera when reversing.

The only problem is the rear camera is not as good as the front camera at night, mine is in the car and looking through the window tint, so very dark at night. More money would probably get a better rear camera.

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Yes of course it loop records BUT every time you shut the engine off that 3 minute file (actually two of course) is saved and locked. So eventually your chip gets full of locked files ...depending on how often you stop the engine is how often you need to re-format the chip ...I do it when I remember ...

Have you checked the options, camera sounds similar to mine and there is an option for auto/manual lock. Also the motion sensor, if on, generates lots of 20 sec locked files every-time a cat walks in front of the car.

19 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Maybe try using a razor knife, cut a small square from the tint, reinstall camera.

Yes, I thought about that. Have ordered a replacement rear number plate light that has a camera mount, so will move it outside.

Image result for nissan march rear camera

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The only problem is the rear camera is not as good as the front camera at night, mine is in the car and looking through the window tint, so very dark at night. More money would probably get a better rear camera.

The camera should have a "Brightness" seting that would comensate for window tint.

:smile:

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, I thought about that. Have ordered a replacement rear number plate light that has a camera mount, so will move it outside.

Image result for nissan march rear camera

Is that a proper "Dash Cam" that records video or just a normal reversing camera?

If it is a "Dash Cam" mounted so low seems it would need regular lens cleaning and probbably pretty useless in the wet with all the spray being thrown up.

Edited by Daffy D

Was out and about today. Saw some from 1800 to 2800 baht

Best buy was one with touch screen, 5"display. Front full HD, rear 720P, 1800 baht

They all made in China so probably not much difference.

Edited by canthai55

8 hours ago, Daffy D said:

The camera should have a "Brightness" seting that would comensate for window tint.

:smile:

Front camera has brightness/ low light etc and works really well in the dark (also looks through tint) but the rear is not as good with no low light options. 

8 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Is that a proper "Dash Cam" that records video or just a normal reversing camera?

If it is a "Dash Cam" mounted so low seems it would need regular lens cleaning and probbably pretty useless in the wet with all the spray being thrown up.

I suppose its both, it records rear and switches on when reversing, the rear camera that came with the dash cam is the same. The number plate light mount is pretty common if you get a shop to fit, or they pop the camera out next to number plate. If you look at the rear of a car (hatch back) there isn't a lot of easy protected places (without drilling holes) to mount the rear camera, a little protection from rain as the light is usually under an overhang.

Edited by Peterw42