Hua Hin police to apply to search suspected abortion clinic

webfact

Hua Hin police to apply to search suspected abortion clinic

By Apichat Hongsakul 
The Nation

2fd4172a8bce1542e239623b8ba38574.jpeg

Prachuap Khiri Khan police are gathering evidence to apply for a court’s permission to search a clinic suspected of providing illegal abortion services in Muang Hua Hin municipality, following the Tuesday discovery of four foetuses in garbage bins near a convenience store in Soi Hua Hin 68.

Hua Hin superintendent Pol Colonel Sitthichai Srisopacharoenrat said police were tracking a male suspect riding a motorcycle while carrying black plastic bags similar to those that held the previously discovered foetuses. The motorcyclist was tracked from the Huan Hin-Nong Plab road to the soi in the early hours of Tuesday.

Sitthichai made the comments following a two-hour meeting of case investigators and provincial police deputy chief Pol Colonel Damrongsak Thong-ngamtrakul on Thursday.

Police continued to trace CCTV camera footage to determine the suspect’s location and were gathering evidence needed to apply for a search warrant for a clinic located within a one-kilometre radius from where the foetuses were found, Sitthichai said.

The foetuses, with reported ages from eight weeks old to eight months old, were sent early Thursday to the Institute of Forensic Science to confirm whether they had been aborted, he added.

Abortion is illegal in Thailand except under three conditions – if a woman is raped, if the pregnancy affects her health or if the foetus is “abnormal”.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30338927

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-15

1 hour ago, huainnews said:

The police raided the clinic,  next to a 7/11 about 1km out of town on the Pala U road, last night. The doctor would appear to have tried to hide in the store as there was a large crowd of onlookers around the entrance ,no doubt wanting to lynch him!

The doctor is a woman....And this is the clinic...clearly they have forgotten to update their website...no mention of abortions.

http://www.srisamaiclinic.com/

Hua Hin police raid suspected abortion clinic 

By Thai PBS

huahin2.jpg

Hua Hin police raided a clinic in Hua Hin town on Thursday (Feb 15) after suspecting it might be involved in the dumping of four aborted fetuses in a dust bin in front of  a 7-Eleven convenience store early this week.

The search came after police examined footage from CCTV cameras and found a young man carried a garbage bag out of the clinic and rode a motorcycle from the clinic to an unknown destination shortly before the fetuses were found by a garbage collector on Feb 13.

The clinic owner who was a former director of Sam Roi Yot hospital in Prachuap Khiri Khan province,  and now an obstetrician attached to Hua Hin hospital, gave good cooperation to the police in conducting searches on her clinic, police said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hua-hin-police-raid-suspected-abortion-clinic/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-16

The Nation is more than a decade behind the times when it comes to the legality of abortion in Thailand. 

From;

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/03/03/abortion-thailand-safe-legal-may-thought/

“It’s better today. There have been attempts to fix the law itself,” said Montri, who’s worked for Planned Parenthood since 1986.

As a result, the exceptions were expanded in 2005 to broadly include possible physical or mental harm, which has been widely interpreted to mean women who are emotionally distressed at the prospect of having children they cannot raise, Montri said.

In December 2014, two drugs known as the “abortion pill” – Mifepristone and Misoprostol – which had long been in clandestine use, were approved for ending pregnancies in a hospital setting."

1 hour ago, Gulfsailor said:

The Nation is more than a decade behind the times when it comes to the legality of abortion in Thailand. 

From;

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2017/03/03/abortion-thailand-safe-legal-may-thought/

“It’s better today. There have been attempts to fix the law itself,” said Montri, who’s worked for Planned Parenthood since 1986.

As a result, the exceptions were expanded in 2005 to broadly include possible physical or mental harm, which has been widely interpreted to mean women who are emotionally distressed at the prospect of having children they cannot raise, Montri said.

In December 2014, two drugs known as the “abortion pill” – Mifepristone and Misoprostol – which had long been in clandestine use, were approved for ending pregnancies in a hospital setting."

Quite - they have also mis-stated one of the exceptions to abortion being illegal. According to everything I've read (including parts of the 1956 law) foetal abnormality alone is not one of the exceptions (unless it threatens the health of the mother).

20 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

From;

Thankyou for your post and for including the link.

This  link  provides  no  more  clarity   for  me  than   any  previous commentary. From my  brief   check on the  current conditions  accepted  for  abortion  foetal deformity/abnormality  was  no  included  but  mental stress  for the  pregnant  mother  has  long been  accepted.  Perhaps  there  is   some  finer  definition  for   medical  practioners  that  allows  that  if  such a  condition  is deemed  to be  threat  to  the   mother.

Personally  i  can find  no agreement  for  abortion  on  demand. 

But  in  proven and  indisputable  cases  of   victims  of  genuine  rape or severe  deformity  of an unborn infant I  can accept.

I spent  20  years in the  health arena  of  support  and  assistance  to the  latter  such people  from  infancy  to lifetime  outcome. In  the  majority  of cases there  was  minimal  parental responsibility,  little  life  quality, and a huge social  service cost and  huge  profit  to  suppliers  to  it!. 

If  in the  question  of  abortion  it was guaranteed  to be in  the  genuine  best  interests  of  the  unborn  infant  rather  than  the   selfish  interests  of both parental  responsibility and  less  in  industry  profit perhaps  it  would  be  less  controversial.

"Morals and Ethics"  are  too often  unthinkingly quoted as  the  blanket justification as  applied  to  everybody  regardless. Not  considered  are  the  huge  number  of  infants and  mothers  who  survive  pregnancy and birth due  to  medical intervention  that  otherwise  would  die but  go  on to live  normal  lives. Also ignored  are  the  "natural" spontaneous   miscarriages  which  not so  rarely  occur at  late stage  of  pregnancy  that  leave  the  mother  permanently  damaged  and/or  result  in  death of one  and/or  other.

Too  often  it  is  the  unthinking  moralists who   want  to  play  god  yet accuse   doctors who  try  to  accord  to   practical  intervention  of  behalf of  justifiable medical and social  outcome.

By any means those  that  abuse from any  perspective should  be  stopped. 

But  callous  disregard of actual  circumstances which  occurs  from the uninvolved from any perspective I find  objectionable. And  for  those  that  may suggest  I include  myself....I say  no.  I  have been  there.

On 18-2-2018 at 4:41 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

This  link  provides  no  more  clarity   for  me  than   any  previous commentary. From my  brief   check on the  current conditions  accepted  for  abortion  foetal deformity/abnormality  was  no  included  but  mental stress  for the  pregnant  mother  has  long been  accepted.  Perhaps  there  is   some  finer  definition  for   medical  practioners  that  allows  that  if  such a  condition  is deemed  to be  threat  to  the   mother.

Personally  i  can find  no agreement  for  abortion  on  demand. 

But  in  proven and  indisputable  cases  of   victims  of  genuine  rape or severe  deformity  of an unborn infant I  can accept.

I spent  20  years in the  health arena  of  support  and  assistance  to the  latter  such people  from  infancy  to lifetime  outcome. In  the  majority  of cases there  was  minimal  parental responsibility,  little  life  quality, and a huge social  service cost and  huge  profit  to  suppliers  to  it!. 

If  in the  question  of  abortion  it was guaranteed  to be in  the  genuine  best  interests  of  the  unborn  infant  rather  than  the   selfish  interests  of both parental  responsibility and  less  in  industry  profit perhaps  it  would  be  less  controversial.

"Morals and Ethics"  are  too often  unthinkingly quoted as  the  blanket justification as  applied  to  everybody  regardless. Not  considered  are  the  huge  number  of  infants and  mothers  who  survive  pregnancy and birth due  to  medical intervention  that  otherwise  would  die but  go  on to live  normal  lives. Also ignored  are  the  "natural" spontaneous   miscarriages  which  not so  rarely  occur at  late stage  of  pregnancy  that  leave  the  mother  permanently  damaged  and/or  result  in  death of one  and/or  other.

Too  often  it  is  the  unthinking  moralists who   want  to  play  god  yet accuse   doctors who  try  to  accord  to   practical  intervention  of  behalf of  justifiable medical and social  outcome.

By any means those  that  abuse from any  perspective should  be  stopped. 

But  callous  disregard of actual  circumstances which  occurs  from the uninvolved from any perspective I find  objectionable. And  for  those  that  may suggest  I include  myself....I say  no.  I  have been  there.

I feel that abortion is a human right up until a certain time (time frame is debate-able). I feel its wrong to have children if you don't want them or are not able to take care of them. Better to have abortion then.

Archived