Boarding now for a flight from Tokyo to Paris that never takes off

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"We have lots of elderly customers, who want to go overseas but are not able to easily, given their physical limitations", Abe said, explaining that the majority of First Airlines' visitors are older Japanese from around the country.

This is one of those ideas, which first sounds so very silly. Then again, if a person has never flown before and wonder how it feels to be in the airplane.. why not. That's an experience for some.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

"A real trip is a hassle to prepare for, and expensive, and takes time. So I think it is good that we can enjoy all this hassle-free", said Takashi Sakano, 39, who was on his first VR trip, adding that he wanted to 'travel' to Rome next time.

Yeah, who needs the hassle of real life experiences that might enrich your life...much better to pretend you have had such experiences. 

• Sad 1

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, oilinki said:

This is one of those ideas, which first sounds so very silly. Then again, if a person has never flown before and wonder how it feels to be in the airplane.. why not. That's an experience for some.

I didn't read this thread till now as I thought it would be some stupid thing, but this is a brilliant idea. If someone has the vision to seize this and patent it they'll make a killing. Franchise similar set ups in every country with a population that like to travel, and it'll be a very big thing. 

It's not the pretend flight thing that is the hook ( my version wouldn't even pretend to be in a plane, just comfy seats for a few hours while watching a travel doco on those VR headsets ), but the chance to see a place without having to go through all the hassle of flying, security etc at a fraction of the price of actually doing it in person. I never thought there would be a proper reason to use those VR headsets, but this is it. Don't even have to be watching the same destination on every headset, just pick where one wants to go, have a nice 1st class type meal, settle back in a first class type seat, relax and enjoy the destination. Amazing, and all without having to sit in a plane for 12 hours, and q to go through immigration, spend an hour getting to an hotel with a hard bed etc etc etc. No danger of getting food poisoning, mugged or conned.

I'm telling ya, the person that picks this up and develops it is going to become very, very rich.

They could even convert little used cinemas to do this in, without the first class seating or meals- just the travel doco in VR.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, who needs the hassle of real life experiences that might enrich your life...much better to pretend you have had such experiences. 

Did you not read the OP? Not everyone is physically able to travel, but why should they be denied the pleasure of seeing different places.

Not everyone can afford to do so, but this makes it possible for most to experience far away places.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you not read the OP? Not everyone is physically able to travel, but why should they be denied the pleasure of seeing different places.

Not everyone can afford to do so, but this makes it possible for most to experience far away places.

Did you read the guy I quoted?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Did you read the guy I quoted?

This is a brilliant way for those that can't travel, or are afraid to, or in wheelchairs etc to do so. I'm all for it and I hope it becomes available everywhere so I can still travel after I can't do it physically any more. Be great to be able to keep up with changes in Pattaya from a different country. It's just not the same looking at a screen with a CCTV picture.

They finally came up with a proper reason to wear those VR headsets.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Coming soon.

Too true.  I was reading an article in the news recently that they are releasing a 3d holographic printer.  The answer to every old man's fantasy.  But on a more serious note, if you think about it for a moment, it could also reduce a lot of sex crimes.:cheesy:

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This is a brilliant way for those that can't travel, or are afraid to, or in wheelchairs etc to do so. I'm all for it and I hope it becomes available everywhere so I can still travel after I can't do it physically any more. Be great to be able to keep up with changes in Pattaya from a different country. It's just not the same looking at a screen with a CCTV picture.

They finally came up with a proper reason to wear those VR headsets.

I can see that

However...

The guy I quoted was just worried about the hassle of a holiday.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1