FBI admits failure to act on Florida school gunman, draws anger

rooster59

23 minutes ago, Credo said:

The FBI investigates crimes.   Until a crime is committed, they are not the best agency to charge with 'looking into things.'   If they are given the responsibility, then they must have the manpower to do it.   

And which would be the best agency to contact if one suspects someone is about to commit mass murder?

I've known a few FBI agents, and met a few more in the course of getting background checks and investigations into others having nothing to do with me. In my experience they are uniformally idiots. Most of them have accounting degrees.

Edited by lannarebirth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

And which would be the best agency to contact if one suspects someone is about to commit mass murder?

I've known a few FBI agents, and met a few more in the course of getting background checks and investigations into others having nothing to do with me. In my experience they are uniformally idiots. Most of them have accounting degrees.

The local police usually have a better pulse on the community than the FBI.   The local police had been called to the house many times, I think it was 39 times.   They are in a MUCH better position to assess the danger.  Local police have access to local services, whether it's juvenile detention, mental health professionals and diversion programs.   

The FBI are best suited to investigate federal crimes after they have been committed.  They don't have easy access to local resources.   I am not sure that anything would have happened had the FBI investigated.   He committed no FEDERAL crime.  Even when the FBI is involved, they usually have to rely on the local police in many areas of an investigation.    

I've known many FBI agents as well, from both sides of the fence.   I can tell you they are well-trained and professional and I would sooner be on the right side of the fence than the wrong side.   I don't know what degree you want them to have.  There are many federal crimes that require accounting knowledge.   They all do go through extensive training before they become a full-fledged agent.

Edited by Credo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Credo said:

The local police usually have a better pulse on the community than the FBI.   The local police had been called to the house many times, I think it was 39 times.   They are in a MUCH better position to assess the danger.  Local police have access to local services, whether it's juvenile detention, mental health professionals and diversion programs.   

The FBI are best suited to investigate federal crimes after they have been committed.  They don't have easy access to local resources.   I am not sure that anything would have happened had the FBI investigated.   He committed no FEDERAL crime.  Even when the FBI is involved, they usually have to rely on the local police in many areas of an investigation.    

I've known many FBI agents as well, from both sides of the fence.   I can tell you they are well-trained and professional and I would sooner be on the right side of the fence than the wrong side.   I don't know what degree you want them to have.  There are many federal crimes that require accounting knowledge.   They all do go through extensive training before they become a full-fledged agent.

I'm not sure what you mean by "both sides of the fence" or the "right side ofthe fence" but what I know of how the FBI operates, is that they mainy commandeer local agencies. They run roughshod over operations.  That said, they are the appropriate agencyto contact as a clearinghouse for major crimes. They are responsible to get local agencies to act as they see fit. 

By both sides of the fence, I mean that I once had someone who stayed at my place who was being sought by the FBI.   I didn't know it, but they eventually showed up and I was questioned and you can rest assured when they finished they had wrung every bit of information I had out of me.   They were very good at figuring things out, like what time he left.   I didn't know.   They ascertained it very closely with, was it light out?   When did you get up?   How long had he been gone?   What was on TV when you turned it on?   Did he go out the back door or front door.   

The other side of the fence is more mundane.   

But what you have sited is primarily why the local police are in better position to assess a potential danger, not the FBI.   

That said, it's really not worth arguing about.   They were tasked with it and should have in place what they need to do their jobs.   

18 hours ago, mogandave said:

There were 24 mass shootings French schools

Follow French crime news closely. Can't recall a single mass shooting in French school past two years. Couple of cases of high school kids being apprehended for terrorism related activities, multiple stabbings, street gang activity, etc. Please cite source of your statement.

Edit: Wikipedia appears to be confirming above observation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting:

Only two French incident reports in worldwide tabulation of school shootings were a terrorism related shooting at a Jewish school on 3/19/12 in Toulouse leaving 5 dead. The shooter used a .45 caliber weapon. A second non-terrorism related shooting involved a 17 year old student armed with a rifle, hand guns and two grenades in Grasse, France which left 4 injured, but zero deaths on 3/16/17.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1

FBI are "Federal" ...It wasn't their case then.

The local police were fully aware of Cruz's behaviour and they couldn't PREVENT it.

This is purely a campaign by NRA and republicans to divert the blame.

It is also obstructing a proper analysis of the incident.....but that is what th NRA and thsir allies want.

Mental health? OK.  How come mental health results in so few shootings in countries with strict gun laws.

The NRA are in a panic, looking round for anything to divert from the obvious.

The first thing they should do is look at school shootings in other countries and ask why USA is so far ahead of the rest.

They seriously daren't look at other countries bbecause then it becomes obvious that they are to blame.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mogandave said:

There were 24 mass shootings French schools

No there weren't!!! 

Retract that comment and admit you were dying to misread it.

Are you an NRA member supporter, because like them you are clutching at straws?....and giving completely incorrect information on the matter. Even your terminology is wrong, the U.S. stats are about SCHOOL shootings....If you included other "mass" shootings in the USA, you'd probably get an even higher number.

let's face it the truth never got in the way of preventing the gun lobby trying to justify themselves and their deadly habit

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Follow French crime news closely. Can't recall a single mass shooting in French school past two years. Couple of cases of high school kids being apprehended for terrorism related activities, multiple stabbings, street gang activity, etc. Please cite source of your statement.

Edit: Wikipedia appears to be confirming above observation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting:

Only two French incident reports in worldwide tabulation of school shootings were a terrorism related shooting at a Jewish school on 3/19/12 in Toulouse leaving 5 dead. The shooter used a .45 caliber weapon. A second non-terrorism related shooting involved a 17 year old student armed with a rifle, hand guns and two grenades in Grasse, France which left 4 injured, but zero deaths on 3/16/17.

The guys completely wrong...total rubbish...he can't read.France 24 is a news outlet....but he wouldn't know that, he's just too keen to justify his guns.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "both sides of the fence" or the "right side ofthe fence" but what I know of how the FBI operates, is that they mainy commandeer local agencies. They run roughshod over operations.  That said, they are the appropriate agencyto contact as a clearinghouse for major crimes. They are responsible to get local agencies to act as they see fit. 

Yes! I watched that TV show too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

FBI are "Federal" ...It wasn't their case then.

The local police were fully aware of Cruz's behaviour and they couldn't PREVENT it.

This is purely a campaign by NRA and republicans to divert the blame.

It is also obstructing a proper analysis of the incident.....but that is what th NRA and thsir allies want.

Mental health? OK.  How come mental health results in so few shootings in countries with strict gun laws.

The NRA are in a panic, looking round for anything to divert from the obvious.

The first thing they should do is look at school shootings in other countries and ask why USA is so far ahead of the rest.

They seriously daren't look at other countries bbecause then it becomes obvious that they are to blame.

Here we go again with these sorry diatribes about non pro active law enforcement: the police could not stop it, the FBI is federal , bla bla bla - ad nauseam. The  police and FBI are to blame and must be held accountable. They failed to act. 

Edited by morrobay