How strict are AirAsia on cabin bag size?

HamonRye

We are travelling light as going for a short trip/1 hr flight to LOS in a couple of days. Haven't flown in a long while.

Flying with AirAsia and have well under the 7kg per person cabin luggage but never paid for extra baggage charges, and noticed our main bags are just a couple of cms wider than the 36cm wide allowance for carry on bags ; 

• Maximum Dimensions of Carry-on Luggage: 22 in x 14 in x 9 in/56 cm X 36 cm X 23 cm (length x width x height)

Will they allow that as carry on luggage? If you have no luggage to check in, and only cabin luggage, are there separate check in desks, which means less ques? 

The ticket counter is usually where they check... not at the boarding gate... So keep any large bags out of sight - If they see them they may weigh them... have a companion watch them while you show passports to get boarding passes... or get boarding passes from their ATM kiosks for domestic flights..

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

OP. Where are you flying from ?

From Phnom Penh. 

We definitely wont go over on the weight but was just considering paying the $20 bucks online before we go, but seems abit daft just for a few cms.

Do you think they charge you something alot more at the airport if they pull you up on the bag size?

Those boarding pass machines look fantastic. Does it mean there's now ques nowadays then?

No recent problem with at-gate checking on domestic-flights, they're keen to get the plane loaded and away at that point, I've been using online-check-in & carry-on only (a daypack & a laptop-bag) for recent flights, thus bypassing the check-in desks.

If you're OK on weight, and only marginally over on size, I'd have thought you should be OK, even on an international-flight.

Nok-Air were however checking bags after  the boarding-gate at Chiang Mai 10-days ago,I was inbound on a Bangkok Airways flight, and they were partly-blocking the arrivals-corridor, for other flights !  :cool:

It's weight they care about. The official line is they don't want their attendants hurting themselves lifting heavy bags up high, or having them fall out and land on a passenger's head. But of course they do have to fit. They regularly weigh check-in bags but almost never measure them. You should definitely risk it given the low chance of being asked to pay (extra) at the counter. 

18 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

They may weigh them, as they are keen to get extra fees for baggage.  Unlikely to measure them if they look like cabin baggage.  But all the budget airlines are strict on baggage compared to normal airlines.

In the past 12 months, I notice AirAsia also weigh small backpacks and heavy looking handbags.  Total = 7kg or you pay lots more!!!

Careful what you pack.  I lost a small kit of nail trimmers, tweezers etc, as these were classified as 'weapons'.

2 hours ago, masuk said:

In the past 12 months, I notice AirAsia also weigh small backpacks and heavy looking handbags.  Total = 7kg or you pay lots more!!!

Careful what you pack.  I lost a small kit of nail trimmers, tweezers etc, as these were classified as 'weapons'.

"In the past 12 months, I notice AirAsia also weigh small backpacks and heavy looking handbags.  Total = 7kg or you pay lots more!!!"

AA check most bags (check-in bags and hand carry) for lots of flights, other flights they seem to relax a bit.

If your over the weight limit, even a small amount their staff have no hesitation to demand extra payment - that's their policy. 

Bottom line - it's a gamble, and it's driven by best possible revenue.

Nowadays I use Lion Air whenever possible, but they are also more strict than before about weight. They often ask you to show your cabin bags and many times I've seen them weigh some cabin bags and if over by a couple of kilos they have insisted that something be transferred to the check-in bags. or ask for extra money if overweight.

Also a couple of times I've seen Lion ask to see the cabin bags and another agent comes quickly in the passenger area and asks questions like 'what about all these plastic bags full of dried pig skin 'etc?

And a few times they have said 'no way too much weight and way too much volume for overhead lockers', and then a cardboard box is provided to pack some of the stuff and checked-in at a fee., all supervised by an agent.

I must admit the  times many times I've noticed that passengers were being pretty cheeky to expect they could hand carry such big amounts (weight and overall volume) into the cabin.

A couple of years back I saw the on-board cabin attendants on one budget airline query the weight on a trolley bag (by size could probably just fit in an overhead locker) that two Thai men were trying unsuccessfully to lift into the overhead locker.

The attendants then insisted that the bag be placed in the galley area and a ground agent came quickly with scales and the trolley bag was 40K. Another agent arrived quickly and said 'xxxBaht now please and we will put the bag in the hold, or we will return the bag to the airline lost and found office at same airport for a 500Baht fee, up to you'. 

The passengers paid for the bag to go into the hold but gave the AA staff quite some abuse.

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

"In the past 12 months, I notice AirAsia also weigh small backpacks and heavy looking handbags.  Total = 7kg or you pay lots more!!!"

AA check most bags (check-in bags and hand carry) for lots of flights, other flights they seem to relax a bit.

If your over the weight limit, even a small amount their staff have no hesitation to demand extra payment - that's their policy. 

Bottom line - it's a gamble, and it's driven by best possible revenue.

Nowadays I use Lion Air whenever possible, but they are also more strict than before about weight. They often ask you to show your cabin bags and many times I've seen them weigh some cabin bags and if over by a couple of kilos they have insisted that something be transferred to the check-in bags. or ask for extra money if overweight.

Also a couple of times I've seen Lion ask to see the cabin bags and another agent comes quickly in the passenger area and asks questions like 'what about all these plastic bags full of dried pig skin 'etc?

And a few times they have said 'no way too much weight and way too much volume for overhead lockers', and then a cardboard box is provided to pack some of the stuff and checked-in at a fee., all supervised by an agent.

I must admit the  times many times I've noticed that passengers were being pretty cheeky to expect they could hand carry such big amounts (weight and overall volume) into the cabin.

A couple of years back I saw the on-board cabin attendants on one budget airline query the weight on a trolley bag (by size could probably just fit in an overhead locker) that two Thai men were trying unsuccessfully to lift into the overhead locker.

The attendants then insisted that the bag be placed in the galley area and a ground agent came quickly with scales and the trolley bag was 40K. Another agent arrived quickly and said 'xxxBaht now please and we will put the bag in the hold, or we will return the bag to the airline lost and found office at same airport for a 500Baht fee, up to you'. 

The passengers paid for the bag to go into the hold but gave the AA staff quite some abuse.

air asia i generally avoid to travel on . if u see their safety record. i prefer thai lion. and nok..........

recently flew AA from DMK to Hong Kong. on the outbound used the well hidden automatic check in machines and nobody asked about my bag. But the return was a f'in nightmare since they don't have those machines in HK. They were pretty strict about weighing every bag and I had to do some shifting of stuff to make the limit. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion. They were also constantly "reminding" of the new on board baggage policy at the gate, but did not seem to be enforcing it (maybe because the flight was delayed 40 minutes). Oh and we didn't even get to use a gate at DMK, forced unto the stupid bus and dropped off at the ass end of the terminal.

All in all a pretty inept airline (aside for the pilots and cabin crew), they are now at the bottom of my list again. I just can't take all the drama before and after the flight.

I wish all airlines would strictly apply size restrictions on cabin baggage.  Nothing worse than some ignorant stinky back-packer barging up the aisle with a ruck-sack the size of a baby elephant and two hand-holds leaving no space for others - what's the big deal waiting a few minutes at a carousel?

Just now, Cranky said:

It would be much fairer if the fare was based on the total weight of the passenger and their luggage.

no it wouldn't because what if someone's luggage is larger than usual ,  taking up twice as much space as the standard bag size ... thereby the airline loses out on available luggage room.

Archived