How to get my laptop sent to me from home (USA) without paying absurd 80% custom fees?

WRG34

Hi everyone.  I know this question has been posted before, but I can't find any information that isn't 2+ years old.

4 months ago, I ordered a new HP laptop.  My mother was coming to visit at that time, so she brought the computer as carry on.  Long, frustrating story short, the HP unit is defective and I need a new laptop. Luckily, HP is giving me a full refund.  Unluckily, I have no one coming to visit Thailand who can bring the laptop as carry on.

It seems the fees for bringing in a laptop range from 20% - 80% of the laptops value.  I will be using it for personal use only, and bringing it out with me when I leave Thailand in 3 months time, so I find it absolutely absurd that I might have to pay 80% of it's value when I could just have someone bring it as carry on.

Are the fees really that high?  Is there anything I can do to get around that?

I know what you're going to say - just buy one in Thailand.  I've looked at all the shops already (I'm in Chiang Mai), and they have nothing along the lines of what I need. 

Please help!

I thought import duty on laptops was 10% (+ VAT) but I could be mistaken. Where did you get your figures from? You can call customs & excise in Bangkok and they will tell you the applicable rate.

If your new laptop is a replacement for a defective unit, are you sending the old unit back? If you are, you can avoid import duty (legitimately) if you declare the reason for export/import as repairs. I am not sure of the documentation you would need to do this but it's definitely possible.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply!

this site says average duty is 20% but on another site, I think a thai gov site, that I can't find at the moment, had all kinds of numbers ranging from 20-80%.  

The new laptop was going to be a completely new one.  As in, I was going to return ship the broken HP, and order a Lenovo.  If I'm going to be robbed by customs, I'll definitely look into the replacement option - maybe HP knows how to do it.  

I've heard the 10% figure also, but some quick googling brings up a lot of stories of people getting charged more than 10%. I'm pretty worried about it!

What's the weight of the boxed package that you want to send?

Generally, you'll run into high import duties, even on replacements, when the robber barons who handle customs for the express courier services into Thailand like DHL and FedEx get their hands on your package.

You'd probably fare better shipping it by Airmail or USPS Priority Mail insured, and declare it as a replacement for a defective model.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What's the weight of the boxed package that you want to send?

Generally, you'll run into high import duties, even on replacements, when the robber barons who handle customs for the express courier services into Thailand like DHL and FedEx get their hands on your package.

You'd probably fare better shipping it by Airmail or USPS Priority Mail insured, and declare it as a replacement for a defective model.

DHL know how to sort the paperwork out for goods that are exported then imported for repair purposes but I think it would take a fair amount of effort. I started to do it for some antique straight razors I sent to the USA and back a few months ago but just took a chance in the end and didn't pay any duty. Straight razors are a lot smaller than laptops of course, so I would expect different results with those.

2 hours ago, WRG34 said:

Thanks for the reply!

this site says average duty is 20% but on another site, I think a thai gov site, that I can't find at the moment, had all kinds of numbers ranging from 20-80%.  

The new laptop was going to be a completely new one.  As in, I was going to return ship the broken HP, and order a Lenovo.  If I'm going to be robbed by customs, I'll definitely look into the replacement option - maybe HP knows how to do it.  

I've heard the 10% figure also, but some quick googling brings up a lot of stories of people getting charged more than 10%. I'm pretty worried about it!

If you can't find something suitable in Chiang Mai have you considered ordering online? Invade IT, Lazada, Banana IT, and IT City are a few retailers that come to mind.

Edited by Mark1066

2 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

No duties on laptops. You only pay 7% VAT on the goods + shipping + insurance. Anyone claiming otherwise is trying to sell you a laptop locally. 

IMG_6803.PNG

That's what it should be. But whether that's the way the customs duty actually gets calculated when something comes via DHL or FedEx is always an open question.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, miamiman123 said:

Laptops bought on eBay have a crazy import tax. Upwards of 50% of value even if used.

I wonder who is charging this, as stated Computers do not have any import duty payable in Thailand, only the 7% VAT is charged by Thai customs.

1 minute ago, Dario said:

I wish I could get this laptop sold at Amazon without much expense to Thailand.

imhm this can beat MacBook Air sold in Thailand. Am I wrong?

You can, place the order, pay for it and whatever the shipping costs are, pay the 7% VAT when it arrives here in Thailand.

I honestly do not understand why folks will not accept that there is no duty charged on computers being imported in to Thailand, only VAT.

I know of dozens of cases where this has been done and never once has import duty been charged by Thai customs, if duty is being charged by an overseas seller or shipper, then this is BS charge.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mattd said:

You can, place the order, pay for it and whatever the shipping costs are, pay the 7% VAT when it arrives here in Thailand.

I honestly do not understand why folks will not accept that there is no duty charged on computers being imported in to Thailand, only VAT.

I know of dozens of cases where this has been done and never once has import duty been charged by Thai customs, if duty is being charged by an overseas seller or shipper, then this is BS charge.

I try to find out how much shipping cost would be to Thailand, but I don't succeed.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Have your mother come visit you again.

Thanks for the tip, she's already in heaven, so is my dad. My only remaining sibling is my brother who lives in Switzerland.

5 minutes ago, Dario said:

Thanks for the tip, she's already in heaven, so is my dad. My only remaining sibling is my brother who lives in Switzerland.

Substitute brother for mother. Sorry for your loss; however, I was answering the OP,  not you.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

I wonder who is charging this, as stated Computers do not have any import duty payable in Thailand, only the 7% VAT is charged by Thai customs.

eBay is one outfit that is charging it, via it's ripoff Global Shipping Programme.  They charge import duty at a rate of their choosing (nothing to do with the rates charges by the countries that the items are going to) when in most cases deliveries using normal shipping methods come through with no Customs interference at all.  If you ask eBay who they pay the duty to, they won't tell you.

I got caught out 2 weeks ago with a used Montblanc pen from Japan being intercepted, 7 other similar packages over the last year had got through with no issues.

Only 7% VAT on computers. They made me go to Chaeng Wattana post office to pick it up though and pay the 7% there. So it'd be a good idea to combine it with an immigration extension so you can kill two birds with one stone. 

Edited by tumama

13 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

No duties on laptops. You only pay 7% VAT on the goods + shipping + insurance. Anyone claiming otherwise is trying to sell you a laptop locally. 

IMG_6803.PNG

Can you give the full web address of that site or a link to it please, igtf.customs.go.th does not exist according to my computer.

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Can you give the full web address of that site or a link to it please, igtf.customs.go.th does not exist according to my computer.

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

Go to 'search import tariff', then type in HS code for laptop (84713020) and hit search. On result page select all preferences and hit show. Then find heading 000 General rate for up to date duty. Or if item has country of origin (with accompanying proof of such) with which Thailand has a trade agreement, check the other applicable heading. 

Edited by Gulfsailor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1