Easiest Bangkok Bank (in BKK) to open an account?

I need to open an account with Bangkok Bank, and was told that they will require a residency certificate from my Embassy (British).    It turns out however, that the British embassy have no available appointments until late March (!!!!!) and I need the certificate and bank account this week.

Does anyone know of a Bangkok Bank branch here in Bangkok where I might be able to open an account without an embassy affirmed address proof? 

Thanks!

Apologies for answering a question with a question,but what is your immigration status ? If you are working and have a Work Permit, I think most would do it. Ditto if you are seeking a marriage or retirement visa, and looking for a place to deposit the necessary funds.

To answer your question we need to know what visa/extension of stay you have, are you working? Most Bangkok Bank branches will accept a work permit or yellow house registration book. If you have made 90 reports Immigration can provide a certificate of residence. 

4 hours ago, allane said:

Apologies for answering a question with a question,but what is your immigration status ? If you are working and have a Work Permit, I think most would do it. Ditto if you are seeking a marriage or retirement visa, and looking for a place to deposit the necessary funds.

Currently I'm on a visa exempt, usually I am on either a tourist visa or a non B.  I'm setting up a Thai company so later this year I'll be on a work permit.

I already bank with Kasikorn but there are advantages to having a Bangkok Bank account as well.

8 minutes ago, bosun said:

Bangkok bank next to Emporium Suites, access from BTS Phrom Phong and/or Emporium shopping Mall. Very familiar with foreigners.

Banks are like immigration offices. Different branches all make up their own rules.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, thrilled said:

I opened A bank account back in 2009 with Kasikorn.I was just in Thailand for 30 days.I just showed them my passport.My address and Thai phone number.

I’ve been told if one will turn you down go and try another one.

Yes that was what I did in 2008 with Kasikorn and again last year when I opened another account with them.

I had just heard that Bangkok Bank require this document and because the UK Consulate is so useless I can't get it until late March at the earliest.

Go to the main Bangkok bank branch/office on Silom.

I was just there last month updating info our our joint account. I asked the lady what I needed to open an account for myself. She flipped through some documents and showed me, just a simple affidavit on a photocopy of my passport from the CDN embassy saying yes, that's me.

For stuff like this always go to the main branch/hq

2 hours ago, Mmushroom said:

Go to the main Bangkok bank branch/office on Silom.

I was just there last month updating info our our joint account. I asked the lady what I needed to open an account for myself. She flipped through some documents and showed me, just a simple affidavit on a photocopy of my passport from the CDN embassy saying yes, that's me.

For stuff like this always go to the main branch/hq

The problem is I can't get and appointment at the UK consulate to affirm my address until the end of March.   

Why the bank don't trust an original passport and lease agreement is beyond me.

Last week we tried to open a joint account with Kassikorn.

We both have private accounts with them for 6 years  +. and have very healthy balances.

They said that the Gov have changed the rules for foreigners and they cannot open new accounts easily.

We tried another branch (who also spoke English), we got the same story.

6 years ago, I opened 2 savings accounts, one with ATM card, with Kassikorn in Chiang Mai.

I was on a 30 day waiver......

Things have changed from those days folks.

5 years ago in Samut Sakhon, I had a retirement ext and it was a struggle even then to open new accounts, and even for holding the 800,000b

Does anyone have any solid info about Government changes to banking for foreigners?

I found this:-

https://www.bot.or.th/Thai/PressandSpeeches/Press/News2560/n2760e.pdf

and

https://www.export.gov/article?id=Thailand-Openess-to-Investment

Neither of which seem of little use to us retirees!

EDIT:

However, on another website I found this:-

1. Kasikorn Bank (K-Bank)

Requirements:

Individuals who have base in foreign countries:

• Passport
  • Work permit or education-based visa (seems these are not required at every branch, though)

Reader Experiences:

Reader update (2016): Steve opened an account at Central World branch with a passport and a Non-Immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai. No condo ownership and no Work Permit required.

Reader update (2017): Simon opened an account with an education visa copy of his passport. He was issued a debit card on the spot.

2. UOB Bank

Requirements:

Individual Non-Resident Account:

• A copy of passport
  • A copy of work permit (seems this is not always required, depends on the branch)
  • 50,000 Baht deposit
  • Phone number

Reader Experiences:

Reader update (2017): Dany opened an account with a passport, phone number, proof of address and 50 000 baht. He got a bank card on the spot.

3. CitiBank

Requirements:

• Passport and Work Permit
  • Or a minimum 1-year apartment contract

4. SCB

Requirements:

• As of 2017, it seems a work permit is required to open an account. would be good to hear from anyone who has a more recent experience.

Non-Resident accounts are for:

• Branches or representative offices of Thai corporations established in countries outside Thailand.
  • Tourists and other overseas visitors.
  • Foreigners temporarily working in Thailand.
  • Foreign government agencies, including embassies, consulates, or specialized UN agencies such as ESCAP, FAO, UNICEF, etc.
  • International organizations or institutions located in Thailand, but established by the government of the country to which such organizations belong.

Note: The implication is that any non-resident can open an account.

Reader Experiences:

Reader update (2016): Scott opened a savings account at the Tesco Lotus Fortune Town branch, with nothing but a passport and money to open the account. He had previously tried at the Central Rama 9 branch and failed.

5. Bangkok Bank

Requirements:

• Passport and one other official identification document: for example, a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank.
  • You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.
  • UPDATE: Bangkok Bank is now asking for a certified letter from your Embassy. This letter must state that you have presented your passport to the Embassy, and that it is indeed your passport. Depending on the Embassy cost will be between 1150-1750 Baht)

If you have a work permit, are a permanent resident, or hold a long-stay visa, you can apply for a wider range of services such as a cheque account, internet banking and online international funds transfer services.

I opened my account with my passport, Non Immigrant O visa and my driver's licence. This got me internet banking too. This was done at the Exchange Tower branch in Asoke, Bangkok. The rule regarding a letter from the embassy was not in place when I opened my account.

Reader Experiences:

Reader update (2017): Tim opened a deposit account with an ATM card, with only his passport and UK drivers licence. No Visa.  He went to a branch in Khon Kaen.

Reader update (2017): James opened an account at the Paragon branch. He took a copy of their requirements web page as evidence, showed his passport, and a letter proving his pension earnings. His Thai partner vouched for him with her ID card, which showed the address they live at.

Reader update (2017): Robin went to Jungceylon branch at Patong. He got an account with a passport, and a notorised letter from his Embassy and address details.

Reader update (2017):  Zero opened a Be1st bank account at the central branch in Silom with his passport and a letter from his embassy – on a 60-day tourist visa.

6. Bank of Ayudhya (Krungsri)

Requirements:

At least one or more of the following:

• Work permit
  • Condominium Lease Agreement (at least 1 year)
  • Thai Driver’s License
  • House Registration Documents (proving you live in a particular house)
  • A Thai wife’s ID card and Marriage Certificate

Reader Experiences:

Reader update (2017): Joe opened a bank account with just his passport on Sukhumvit Road (near Robinsons, between Nana and Asoke BTS stations). He showed his Non-Immigrant O-A visa (retirement visa). He got a debit card. He used his girlfriend's address, but they did not require evidence of this. The visa card cost him 350 Baht.

7. CIMB

Requirements:

1. Citizen ID card or passport (for foreigner)
  2. Savings account book or Current account number

Applicant Qualification:

1. The applicant must be aged 15 or over.
  2. The applicant must own an individual savings and/or current account or a joint account that authorizes either owner to withdraw cash or a merchant account with single account owner.
  3. Other terms and conditions are as specified by the Bank.

Reader Experiences:

Reader update (2016): Theo opened an account using his friend as guarantor. Only his passport was needed and his friend's contact details, address, etc.

8. KrungThai

Requirements:

• For foreigners: Passport, alien certificate, work permit issued or endorsed by any credible organization or visa which is valid for at least 3 months.
  • For international students: Passport and student certificate issued by school/college.

Reader Experiences:

Reader update (2016): John was able to open a savings passbook account in Chumphon. He used his passport and Non-Immigrant O visa.

Reader update (2017): JP opened a savings account at Krung Thai on his Non O marriage visa, and also one at the SCB branch in Kalasin, which only required his passport and a deposit.

Edited by laislica
To add to the post

8 minutes ago, laislica said:

Last week we tried to open a joint account with Kassikorn.

We both have private accounts with them for 6 years  +. and have very healthy balances.

They said that the Gov have changed the rules for foreigners and they cannot open new accounts easily.

I opened a Kasikorn account 6 months ago with only my passport.   I already had an account with them so I was at my branch and it was all very easy. 

Thanks for the other info, although it is what I had already been told unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laislica said:

Typical excuse given by a bank branch when they don't want to open an account for someone...try to blame govt....say the govt changed the law/rule when the govt has not changed a thing.   It's always easy to blame someone or something else versus your own organization.  Largely depends on the personnel at each branch.

The Bank of Thailand or other govt agency has not changed any rules/passed any new laws regarding what is required for a non-Thai to open a bank account; it's just individual bank policy although they all flow the same general guidance established over the years.  

Are Thai banks tightening-up on requirements for foreigners to open bank accounts?   Maybe....maybe not.  Wouldn't surprise me with all the bank scams that occur....identity theft....pressure from other world govts for Thailand banks to get serious about anti-money laundering...etc.  

• Like 1

there was a report within the last two months of someone opening an account at bangkok bank's siam paragon branch.  he/she did not have the embassy letter but had a tourist visa (versus visa exempt).  maybe try that one if the main branch of silom doesn't work out.  i opened mine at silom but had the embassy letter (saying my passport was real) and my rental contract (with cover letter from landlord saying it was real).

• Like 1

here is the thread i referenced above (see post 44 for the commentary on siam paragon).  the OP of the thread was in a similar situation, had to wait to get the embassy appt for the letter.  but opened the acct w/o it after all.

• Like 1

Emporium Bangkok Bank Branch, seven months ago, I was in ans out in 20minutes, just my pspt, home address (A hotel at that time) a phone number,,  copy of my visa and departure card..........just told them I needed an account to transfer 3 million baht into to purchase a condo.......never bought the condo but still have the account with regular deposits from Social Scty into it.  Gave me a Visa Debit card a well.

6 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Emporium Bangkok Bank Branch, seven months ago, I was in ans out in 20minutes, just my pspt, home address (A hotel at that time) a phone number,,  copy of my visa and departure card..........just told them I needed an account to transfer 3 million baht into to purchase a condo.......never bought the condo but still have the account with regular deposits from Social Scty into it.  Gave me a Visa Debit card a well.

Thanks Tunnel Rat.   That is where I'm heading later today.   Fingers crossed!

Update to my topic.   

I went to the Bangkok Bank branch at Emporium.   I was told that I needed either a work permit, the aforementioned letter from the British Embassy, or a letter showing I intend to buy a condo. 

As I have none of those things I left without an account.

I'm going to see if I can get someone to give me the document that I'm buying a condo, get the account and then 'change my mind' about the condo purchase.

Update to my topic.   

I went to the Bangkok Bank branch at Emporium.   I was told that I needed either a work permit, the aforementioned letter from the British Embassy, or a letter showing I intend to buy a condo. 

As I have none of those things I left without an account.

I'm going to see if I can get someone to give me the document that I'm buying a condo, get the account and then 'change my mind' about the condo purchase.

Have you been at UOB bank? They not asked me for work permit last month.

Just needed a utility bill like phone invoice+passport and i gave them a certificate of residence from immigration.

CIMB bank also not need work permit but wanted confirmation letter from embassy for your home adress.

This experience is ~1 month old.

ALL other THAI banks refused in BKK and Patong. Tried many branches and same bank. Nada.

Even bangkok bank where i already have an old savings accout not wanted to open a fixed deposit account without work permit.

• 2 weeks later...

But Bangkok Bank does now issue their new, super, fantastic UnionPay debit card that can be used for purchases throughout Thailand. 

It's true the UnionPay card is accepted throughout Thailand but the accompanying real world truth/fine print is "only at the few merchants which currently accept UnionPay."   But there are a few merchants across Thailand that accept UnionPay so they can say it's accepted across Thailand...no mistruth told.  However, merchants like Lotus, Big C, and most merchants still don't accept UnionPay in Thailand for purchases; probably will in the future sometime....just not now.

• Like 1