Michelin-starred street food stall Jay Fai criticized for blocking sidewalks

webfact

Michelin-starred street food stall Jay Fai criticized for blocking sidewalks

By Coconuts Bangkok 

jf.jpg

Photo: Pantip

Jay Fai’s street food stall has become a must-visit eatery for trying Thai food since she received a Michelin star in December, but not every Thai celebrates the restaurantier’s fame and her way of handling a long line of tourists.  

Photos of Jay Fai’s restaurant, now crowded with customers sitting at tables set up on the public sidewalk to accommodate the never-ending overflow of customers from her restaurant, have been picked up by local media after they were posted on Pantip, a forum equivalent to Reddit in Thailand. Netizens demand the 72-year-old chef, Supinya “Jay Fai” Jansuta properly deal with her Michelin-starred status — and the customers that status has brought.

“Jay Fai has set up the tables [on the sidewalks] with no consideration to the public, as if she thinks ‘So what? I’m a Michelin-starred chef. I am the person who brought fame to Thailand,” user PTKNC, who started the thread, wrote.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/michelin-starred-street-food-stall-jay-fai-criticized-blocking-sidewalks/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-02-19

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

The concept of public space and consideration of the public is often lost in Thailand. I remember getting a taxi down the back sois to a mate's house. We came across a load of people having a party in the middle of the road for Chinese New Year. Music was blasting and they were eating and drinking. Taxi driver was a bit confused and the people partying didn't even look at us. After a minute the taxi driver just said, "mai dai". I had to get out and walk 10 mins to my mate's house. Not a single person partying in the middle of the street could give a shiny s*** about anyone else. 

Go to Chinatown and it's always like that. Total mess and chaos everywhere, me me me.

14 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

And if you can't afford to hire a small place you should not have

a so called restaurant at all and how much tax does he pay? 

Probably more tax than before she got the Star... That's why there was another story about "the curse of the Michelin Star"

Come on, who actually pays tax in Thailand !!! :)

15 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Well, you can get the same SH****** for just 40-50 THB on every other Street Food facility  :cheesy::cheesy:

And they block the pavement too :)

It's just part of life in Thailand, even if it is sometimes annoying..

Edited by cornishcarlos

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Roads are for driving on. Pavements for walking on. It’s that simple really. What if someone else was trying to drive home that day? Someone in a wheelchair or elderly. 

Kids aren’t playing on the street in the West anymore? Maybe you could campaign for kids to be allowed to play on roads again. Sounds like a great idea. 

Growing up in the 50s-70s most countries (US excepted) would have children playing football and other games in the open space nearest their house (the road). They got exercise and there weren't so many obese children. The relatively small number of cars in those days drove slowly in those areas.

Now we see modern drivers racing around residential areas, with far more people using cars. Naturally, modern parents forbid their children to "play out", and so kids stay indoors and fiddle with their mobile telephones.

I don't believe that wealthy car owners have the right to speed down residential roads, at the expense of residents and communities. However, I can see that you feel differently.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, nkg said:

Growing up in the 50s-70s most countries (US excepted) would have children playing football and other games in the open space nearest their house (the road). They got exercise and there weren't so many obese children. The relatively small number of cars in those days drove slowly in those areas.

Now we see modern drivers racing around residential areas, with far more people using cars. Naturally, modern parents forbid their children to "play out", and so kids stay indoors and fiddle with their mobile telephones.

I don't believe that wealthy car owners have the right to speed down residential roads, at the expense of residents and communities. However, I can see that you feel differently.

You can’t compare 50-70s America with Bangkok 2018 gridlock. If parents want their kids to have room to run around, they have to move out of the city. This is true anywhere in the world. 

Anyhoo, I’m talking about people blocking tiny roads (sois) so they can have a party. If you’ve ever driven down the small sois, you’ll know what a pain they are to navigate. What they don’t need is anymore obstacles blocking them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

You can’t compare 50-70s America with Bangkok 2018 gridlock. If parents want their kids to have room to run around, they have to move out of the city. This is true anywhere in the world. 

Anyhoo, I’m talking about people blocking tiny roads (sois) so they can have a party. If you’ve ever driven down the small sois, you’ll know what a pain they are to navigate. What they don’t need is anymore obstacles blocking them. 

Yes, the tiny roads are what we in the West consider a residential area. You can use major roads to get to your destination - car drivers do not have a divine right to use residential areas as short-cuts. I do know what the traffic is like in the small sois. If the road is completely blocked, you can always turn around.

I am biased - I like street parties, and I don't currently own a car in Thailand. I think it is sad that we must instruct our children not to play - the rich kids with big gardens in leafy suburbs win, and the poor kids, as always, lose. Moving out of the city is not always an option.

I do take your point about Thais not caring about what impact their actions will have on other people, but I am broadly in favor of street parties. Thai people's fun-loving attitudes is one of the main reasons why I enjoy living in Thailand, although it can have unintended negative consequences.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nkg said:

Yes, the tiny roads are what we in the West consider a residential area. You can use major roads to get to your destination - car drivers do not have a divine right to use residential areas as short-cuts. I do know what the traffic is like in the small sois. If the road is completely blocked, you can always turn around.

I am biased - I like street parties, and I don't currently own a car in Thailand. I think it is sad that we must instruct our children not to play - the rich kids with big gardens in leafy suburbs win, and the poor kids, as always, lose. Moving out of the city is not always an option.

I do take your point about Thais not caring about what impact their actions will have on other people, but I am broadly in favor of street parties. Thai people's fun-loving attitudes is one of the main reasons why I enjoy living in Thailand, although it can have unintended negative consequences.

Roads are roads. They’re primarily for cars. Whether a main road of a street road. Again, it’s not easy just reversing and doing three-point turns on small sois. There is no other way round sometimes. Unless of course you feel people should turn around, get back on the main road so they can get stuck in traffic again, and then approach their ‘home’ from another soi. All because some people wanna put their tables and chairs in the middle of a road so they can party. 

You can like parties all you want. That doesn’t mean you have to inconvenience other people who just want to get on with their daily lives. I like listening to music loudly and with good quality. I bought some expensive headphones. It’s not black and white. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nkg said:

Yeah, it's thanks to this attitude that kids can't play out in the street any more in Western countries. You would have happily ended their street party that they were enjoying, in their own country, just to save yourself 10 minutes.

Why do cars dominate our "concept of public space" anyway? I have personally enjoyed numerous street parties in Thailand. The traffic found another route. Nobody died.

It’s still early.... but what the hell.... one must give recognition when it’s due.

B84A99BB-266A-444B-BE61-78D96D7410C3.png

• Like 1

In the UK the width of the road from building line to building line is the Queen’s highway and no one may obstruct it, your only right is to pass and repass. Even parking outside your house is not a right and may be prosecuted if the obstruction is unnecessary  or willful. 

In Selfland, such a simple concept is impossible to understand.

23 hours ago, rkidlad said:

The concept of public space and consideration of the public is often lost in Thailand. I remember getting a taxi down the back sois to a mate's house. We came across a load of people having a party in the middle of the road for Chinese New Year. Music was blasting and they were eating and drinking. Taxi driver was a bit confused and the people partying didn't even look at us. After a minute the taxi driver just said, "mai dai". I had to get out and walk 10 mins to my mate's house. Not a single person partying in the middle of the street could give a shiny s*** about anyone else. 

Yep. Brilliant.

Just another reason, one of many,  this place is a breath of fresh air compared to the stale, grey, nanny state West.

If it feels good - do it!

• Like 1

Take a look at the 'sidewalk' restaurants around Pattaya. The cafe on the corner of Pattaya 2nd road and soi Diana has  erected a wall along the kerb so as to give more seating  !!!