Broadband Connection

NanLaew

I am renting a home off Soi Potisan (Naklua Road end) and seeking TV forum members assistance on what would be my best option for high-speed internet? The house has a land line already but not sure yet if ToT or TT&T (but I suspect the former). All options considered including IPSTAR so let me know what works for you... or maybe more importantly what doesn't work!

Many thanks!

My suggestion is if it is a TOT line, go down to the TOT office and try out the 1000 baht a month package. If they can install on your phone exchange, its hard to beat the price for what you get. The speed won't impress you if you had broadband in the west, but it beats dialup anyway.

Be patient during the installation process as there will be communication issues if you don't have a Thai speaker with you. Keep calm, keep smiling, and keep calling until they get sick of you calling and get you up and running ASAP. Be sure to bring a copy of your passport and visa page. I don't know if they require a Non O visa to proceed.

You will hear your share of horror stories about TOT service but I can honestly say I am very satisfied with it.

Edited by Jingthing

My condo has the TT&T Maxnet ADSL 512 plan. Cost is 845 baht a Month and the service is reasonable. It rarely went down but as Jingthing says it's not like farangland broadband but definitely better than dialup.

Thanks Jingthing and bmanly for those 2 recommendations... I assume that the other 71 readers of the OP use regular steam-powered dialup ?

My condo has the TT&T Maxnet ADSL 512 plan. Cost is 845 baht a Month and the service is reasonable. It rarely went down but as Jingthing says it's not like farangland broadband but definitely better than dialup.

Thanks Jingthing and bmanly for those 2 recommendations... I assume that the other 71 readers of the OP use regular steam-powered dialup ?

This reader uses TT&T and would recommend it. It doesn't matter if your line is TOT or TT&T. I have the TT&T Maxnet 1024 plan which runs at 1000 per month.

To connect, go to the 2nd level of Carrefour and right in the middle of the floor next to a coffee shop you'll see the office that is open until 10pm each night.

Present a photocopy of your passport ID page and your arrival stamp or visa. Fill out the application form for either a 6 month contract or 12 month contract. With the 12 month contract last June I got one month free and a free modem...I'm sure they still have some type of promotional deal going.

They told me it would be ready to go in about 10 days, but 2 days later I was online. No money is handed over and I didn't get my first bill for 6 weeks.

The service has been as reliable as can be expected here in Thailand.

I am renting a home off Soi Potisan (Naklua Road end) and seeking TV forum members assistance on what would be my best option for high-speed internet? The house has a land line already but not sure yet if ToT or TT&T (but I suspect the former). All options considered including IPSTAR so let me know what works for you... or maybe more importantly what doesn't work!

Many thanks!

Quiet satisfied with the 512 kbps, suscribe at TT&T Carrefour for 790.00 +taxes57.14 montly,for 24 h a day internet.

First see what phone provider you have:

All numbers 038 7xx xxx and 038 3xx xxx are TT&T owned.

All numbers 038 2xx xxx and 038 4xx xxx are TOT owned.

The billing of both TT&T and TOT is handled by TOT alone, so don't assume that you have a TOT line because you get a TOT bill !

Both telephone providers have their own internet offers, for TT&T this is called maxnet (different speeds and service levels available) and for TOT it's called the cyber packages (silvercyber, goldcyber etc...)

These are not interchangeable, you can't get a maxnet package on a TOT line or a goldcyber package on a TT&T line.

You can also opt for different ISP's (Ji-net, Csloxinfo etc). Easy with TT&T lines, since their office handles the complete subscription, just tell them you want to use Csloxinfo and they will give you the relevant forms to fill out and explain how to pay.

If on a TOT line, my understanding is that if you wish to subscribe to sloxinfo for example, then you will have to go to the Csloxino office yourself (on 3th road, just behind the corner from the big tot office on central Pattaya).

The billing of both TT&T and TOT is handled by TOT alone, so don't assume that you have a TOT line because you get a TOT bill !

Both telephone providers have their own internet offers, for TT&T this is called maxnet (different speeds and service levels available) and for TOT it's called the cyber packages (silvercyber, goldcyber etc...)

These are not interchangeable, you can't get a maxnet package on a TOT line or a goldcyber package on a TT&T line.

You can also opt for different ISP's (Ji-net, Csloxinfo etc). Easy with TT&T lines, since their office handles the complete subscription, just tell them you want to use Csloxinfo and they will give you the relevant forms to fill out and explain how to pay.

If on a TOT line, my understanding is that if you wish to subscribe to sloxinfo for example, then you will have to go to the Csloxino office yourself (on 3th road, just behind the corner from the big tot office on central Pattaya).

Good Advice monty :o

Good Advice monty :D

I have just had TTT&T Indy ADSL 1024/512 service supplied. My connection was due to be available on the 20th Jan. They have been having a problem with their server here in Pattaya. It took a lot off effort on my part to convince them that it was a problem with them not me that they insisted. The problem know seems to be fixed as I have had a steady connection all day today 24th Wed.The pricing is at the moment 1070 baht/month and if you sign up for 12 months they supply the moden/router. :o

• 1 month later...

Many thanks!

Quiet satisfied with the 512 kbps, suscribe at TT&T Carrefour for 790.00 +taxes57.14 montly,for 24 h a day internet.

I'll second that. I have the same. Most of the time I get 430kps download.

Barry

I have 1024 Maxnet from TT&T with no problems, it got a bit slow after those cables were damaged but now very good.

Just done a speed test with Thaivisa and download transfer rate 102 kps and upload 21 kps. (06.45 hours)

Very interesting... I have the cheapest package from ToT 500Baht per month 256K and have been considering upgrading as I always feel the pages are slow to load. I have just done a TV Speedtest 10.40 am and come up with speeds of 214Kps (Down) and 64kps (up), so I guess if you're happy with the speeds from your Maxnet package I must be expecting too much. :o I've only used dial up before so I've not been tainted by decent Broadband connections in the UK!

gmac

When I compare my actual download speeds on large files with those speeds I get on the test sites, the actual download speeds are much higher--about 100Kbs for my 1024 connection (which is about what it should be), even though the test only gives maybe half or a third of that.

It may be of interest to some that I have *both* ttt and tot connections and I run both through a single router (called a load-balanced router) so I get a 2048 connection for 2000 baht a month.

When I compare my actual download speeds on large files with those speeds I get on the test sites, the actual download speeds are much higher--about 100Kbs for my 1024 connection (which is about what it should be), even though the test only gives maybe half or a third of that.

It may be of interest to some that I have *both* ttt and tot connections and I run both through a single router (called a load-balanced router) so I get a 2048 connection for 2000 baht a month.

Surely for a 1024 connection it should be 1024kbps not 100kbps ?

Surely for a 1024 connection it should be 1024kbps not 100kbps ?

A 1024 connection is in Kbs (Kilo *bits* per second) which translates to about 128 KBs (Kilo *Bytes* per second), but ADSL has about a 20% loss as I understand (this varies), so about 100 KBs is fairly good. I wrote 100 Kbs in my original post (I'm looking back now) but I meant 100 KBs.

Yeah, I agree it's all confusing. Here's where I did my conversion:

http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/?input_amou...notation=legacy

Edited by Jimmyd

Have TOT 500bt month deal but sometimes very dodgy, since connecting via wireless router probs not so bad, except when Taiwan earthquake made mediocre service even worse or non-existent. If you ring TOT many times within 2 days,as my hubbie did, they will soon send out "technician" and prob solved!

I live out in the boonies. There are no land lines available here. That leaves GPRS through my phone or the Ipstar broadband satellite dish. The GPRS is agonizingly slow and the Ipstar SUCKS! I originally had Loxinfo Ipstar and it SUPER sucked. Now I have TOT Ipstar and it goes down several times a day. Sometimes it works great but usually it is pretty slow. I know of no other option for my location.