Requirements for green book

banagan

As far as I know, you don't. Just a need a letter from immigration that says you can buy or sell a vehicle (any visa is fine), cost 300b in Phuket - may vary slightly in other places. To get that letter you should have registered your place of residence and get a certificate of residence, that's free. I have done this in Phuket in 30min - having all the right documents, and smile all the time, and more ... lol

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Agusts said:

As far as I know, you don't. Just a need a letter from immigration that says you can buy or sell a vehicle (any visa is fine), cost 300b in Phuket - may vary slightly in other places. To get that letter you should have registered your place of residence and get a certificate of residence, that's free. I have done this in Phuket in 30min - having all the right documents, and smile all the time, and more ... lol

The Certificate Of Residence is the letter you spoke of in the beginning of your post and while it should be free, they like to charge 300 THB for it.

Just now, eisfeld said:

The Certificate Of Residence is the letter you spoke of in the beginning of your post and while it should be free, they like to charge 300 THB for it.

Not quite, in my case I went to one guy, fill the appropriate forms,  he did the certificate of residence, then he staples a receipt to the back of the passport (last page), this was free. Keep that receipt stapled as it is very useful to have.

Then you go to another kiosk (girl this time), fill up a form (3 options if I remember right, to buy or sell vehicle, apply for driving license, open bank account), she takes your photo and gives you a letter with your photo staple to it, it's in Thai with your address and say you can do what you requested (cost 300b).

I have got this letter twice, one for driving license (she was not sure, so gave me two letters, one for bike, another for car, 600b - at driving license office they only needed one and a copy for the other). Also another letter to buy a bike.

(Ah, nearly forgot, I had a 3rd letter to open bank account...lol)

Once you've done the first part and have that receipt on back of passport, you not need do that again - only get various letters as and when needed.

Edited by Agusts

3 hours ago, Agusts said:

Not quite, in my case I went to one guy, fill the appropriate forms,  he did the certificate of residence, then he staples a receipt to the back of the passport (last page), this was free. Keep that receipt stapled as it is very useful to have.

Then you go to another kiosk (girl this time), fill up a form (3 options if I remember right, to buy or sell vehicle, apply for driving license, open bank account), she takes your photo and gives you a letter with your photo staple to it, it's in Thai with your address and say you can do what you requested (cost 300b).

I have got this letter twice, one for driving license (she was not sure, so gave me two letters, one for bike, another for car, 600b - at driving license office they only needed one and a copy for the other). Also another letter to buy a bike.

(Ah, nearly forgot, I had a 3rd letter to open bank account...lol)

Once you've done the first part and have that receipt on back of passport, you not need do that again - only get various letters as and when needed.

You have it slightly confused. The first thing you described (the thing they staple into the end of your passport) is the receipt for notifying Immigration of your address. It's useful for a bunch of things at immigration. And yes this receipt is free and also correct that you only need to do it once *as long as you don't leave the country, move or stay in some hotel etc*.

The second letter you mentioned is the actual Certificate Of Residence. The one where they ask you what you want it for (bank acc, driving license etc). The reason is kinda pointless, you can use it for anything really and they have a "other" option iirc. It is *supposed* to be free. They have been charging 300THB for it for a long time and the issue has been features in a few newspaper articles and many threads on TV. You can refuse to pay and they will give it to you anyways (but might not like you in the future). You can also bargain and get multiple for 300THB which keeps them halfway happy.

The Certificate of Residence looks like this:

Residency-Certificate-Sample.jpg?resize=