Pepper (Piper) care

I have a single pepper plant (as in salt and "pepper") which has grown to approximately 2 meters up a rough brick wall at the back of the house. Unfortunately, it hasn't given us any pepper yet... and quite frankly I don't know what the problem could be. I've searched the internet for some answers, but as far as I can see, we have done almost everything right (except mulching. I haven't added mulch to the base of the plant but I'll do that tomorrow). The plant looks good, is growing steadily and the leaves look healthy... so why aren't we getting any pepper corns from our plant? 

The plant is approximately 3 years old now. I bought it at a nursery outside Korat city. It gets a fist full of cow manure once or twice a year (at the beginning and the end of the rainy season). 

My pepper plant took three years to bear fruit properly and then it died (water logged roots). I will buy a new one and make sure it has a raised area to grow. I did notice that it prefers shade, or avoids full sun. I haven't seen anyone growing peppers around here so I assume that the soil / climate doesn't suit it.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

My pepper plant took three years to bear fruit properly and then it died (water logged roots). I will buy a new one and make sure it has a raised area to grow. I did notice that it prefers shade, or avoids full sun. I haven't seen anyone growing peppers around here so I assume that the soil / climate doesn't suit it.

From what I can tell, ther pepper plant likes partial shade as too much direct sunlight can damage the plants. It should be grown in well drained soil (as you already found out the hard way). It's native to the southern part of India and South America and it also loves humidity, so I see no reason for it not to thrive here. 

My FIL has a plant and it bears some pepper corns from time to time. 

Archived