Man whose book about life in Thai jail is now a film to miss premiere - because he is in prison

rooster59

On 2/25/2018 at 2:04 AM, sanemax said:

I do find that angle to be annoying :

What they should say is : He thoroughly enjoyed his years taking *whatever he was taking* and that was all he cared about , took the drugs because he selfishly enjoyed being stoned 

i have to disagree with you on this one mate. and i'm not being argumentative. my old man did 23 years in the army with exemplary service and left as a colour sergeant. what he told me about, would refuse to tell anyone else about when he was a kid being brought up in children homes around lancashire and stuff in the army would shock most people. my Dad was loved and respected by all that knew him but alcohol a few years after he left the army and couldn't get used to civilian life sent him to an early death at sixty. when i used to visit him i heard the nightmares and screaming and i won't have anyone tell me he was selfish because he was not. he became a serious addict. we tried everything. he wouldn't say a word to anyone but me and made me promise to keep my mouth shut. i feel guilty everyday. but anyway. i don't think addiction is always selfish is my point.

*when i say addiction, he was president of his local british legion and would down ten pints there from the morning and a couple of bottles of large whiskey sometimes 3 and hardly ate once he got home until his body just gave up. and i'm not looking for sympathy just telling you one my experiences of addiction

Edited by Happy enough
*add a point

On 2/25/2018 at 9:04 AM, sanemax said:

I do find that angle to be annoying :

What they should say is : He thoroughly enjoyed his years taking *whatever he was taking* and that was all he cared about , took the drugs because he selfishly enjoyed being stoned 

Your post displays your complete ignorance about addiction.

Just now, sanemax said:

I just feel that people who are addicted to something, should stop doing it and then they will not be addicted anymore

if only it was that simple mate. i think it's mental health issues really. people can get help but many refuse for whatever reason. i don't believe for example after a year on heroin, a heroin addict actually wants to be on it anymore. and there's kind of scientific addiction where the body craves it like nicotine. i don't know, i'm no doctor. but yeah if they stopped doing it they may stopped being addicted however there is an argument that you are only ever an ex smoker but inside the addiction remains. same with those that give up alcohol and go on the wagon. lot's would after many years off the booze still refer to themselves as recovering alcoholics

• Like 2

I understand the op's dilemma. I have been struggling with issues relating to alcohol for over 30 years in Thailand.

Wherever I go, I just can't seem to find a good beer at a reasonable price.

Old timers might remember Kloster beer. It was sold in an attractive dark green bottle and tasted pretty good.

11 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

You enjoy chuckling at tired old stereotypes , I prefer more subtle forms of wit , each to their own eh .

The problem is perhaps you have become too subtle and nobody knows you are being witty eh.

On 2/27/2018 at 1:02 PM, sanemax said:

I just feel that people who are addicted to something, should stop doing it and then they will not be addicted anymore

Addiction is defined as a chronic, relapsing brain disease that is characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use, despite harmful consequences. † It is considered a brain disease because drugs change the brain—they change its structure and how it works

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drug-abuse-addiction