British dad jailed in Thailand for 'abducting' son who 'asked to be taken away'

rooster59

11 hours ago, Sonhia said:

I feel for this guy. I have both a son and daughter, unfortunately born in Thailand, and know full well from bitter experiences, the feeling of being held back as a father, the anxiety, frustration, the not knowing, dealing with the carefree attitude of the Thai mother, who normally pushes the children onto the grandparents, in most cases, and using the father as a friend with benefits to  simply extort money from, so they can wear gold, or have the latest smart phone with the fake accessories, trying to be high so. You cannot make a silk purse from a pigs ear, but they try!

I've been there. .!

I personally would never take either my son or daughter from their respective mother, not unless the welfare of the child was/is at risk.

However, more assistance should be made available to foreigne fathers. As in my case, the British Embassy did very little to assist me and in fact, my Sons British passport was registered in my family name, but the Embassy allowed his British name, as stated on my sons Thai birth certificate, to be changed to his Thai name, even after I refused to allow his name to be changed! The British Embassy should pull its tongue out and focus more on its own citizens!

Those many fathers, out there, will know what I'm taking about.

As for taking the matter to a Thai court, I've been there too. A waste of time, money, frustration etc. I'm a farang. Lowest of the low!

I fully appreciate the fathers actions, but feel that placing him in jail, is yet another slap in the face for foreigners. Ok, it is  abduction, but it's his own flesh and blood, and he probably was doing it for a very good reason?! Let's face it, Education in Thailand is sub standard, future outlook is bleak etc and although the U.K, is not a perfect place,  it is, however, a much better place compared to here. FACT!

Some may ask, "Why do you stay?" Because of my children, and for no other reasons at all. I could run, but I man up, unlike the locals, and try to be a part of my children's life, although much restricted! 

I wish the father, in this report, plus all all those other caring fathers the best, but it is a struggle. 

You, sir, deserve a medal.

Your observations here have more merit than any other.

I'd love to see this end well. 

And I hope your situation ends well for you and your children.

I hope you have peace .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

This was not just another Farang saying he's had bad experiences with lawyers. This is a senior judge (the one who presided over our case) saying to me in private (a few days after the case was over) that we should never trust lawyers.

He said some other very interesting things too, but I don't want to go off topic.

Regarding your comment: "you were not ripped off because you were a farang.. you were ripped off because they could."

You got that sentence mixed up. It should  have read: "you were ripped off because they could because you are a foreigner"

Although I have no doubt Thai lawyers rip off their fellow citizens too, the extent of our rip-off was because we are foreigners.

It was like taking candy from a baby.

1. We don't understand the Thai justice system and cannot read any of the court documents. Even the lawyer's translations were in unintelligible English.

2. The lawyer submitted key evidence that formed the backbone of our case late and was therefore deemed inadmissible by the court. He never mentioned this to us at the time and I didn't find out until 6 months later when a countersuit was made against us.
3. He used our predicament in an attempt to extract more money from us. Fortunately, we found a good lawyer to save us, but it cost a pretty penny.
4. As foreigners, we have more incentive NOT to pursue cases in court as we would be kicked out of the country after serving time and/or paying a fine. We have much more to lose.
5. We pay more for our defence than Thai people pay. We don't get the benefit of fee negotiation. We are usually more desperate and they take advantage of this.

I can go on, but suffice it to say: We were ripped off because we were foreigners (my wife is not Farang, but also non-Thai).

What say you about my 40kg wife being attacked by 2 bigger women in the interview room at the police station. One tried to punch her in the head, but she managed to deflect it and hit her on the shoulder. There were 3 police officers who witnessed this. Of course, it would have been visible to a number of CCTV cameras. The officers didn't want to know about it. They said it was her fault indicating that she asked for it. How would you feel if that was your foreign wife? What could I do? Get into an altercation with 2 crazy Thai women to protect my wife?

This was a bunch of Thai people in a police station treating us like dirt. People in a position of authority.

Yea yea Tropo, just something we totally disagree on..

So a judge (Thai) told you this, so it seems not all Thais are against you.. and that is the point I am trying to make. The point you are missing. Your other lawyer saved you.. also Thai... I thought you could not trust any Thai lawyer ?.

You were ripped of because you met a crooked lawyer, you other lawyer did not rip you off if ALL Thais are against you then this one would do the same. 

My point is that not all Thais are the same. Making it out to be is doing injustice to those who are not. Most of them don't have no opinion about us what so ever. 

As for you wife it sucks, it would be pretty bad to witness. Did anything else then a blow on the shoulder happen ? If nothing else then that happened I would not have done a thing it would make things worse. A sustained attack.. i would have intervened.

But the police not wanting to do anything is not new.. people get off with 500 baht for going at others with bat and swords. What would they do for a blow on the shoulder ? (if that was it).

Anyway I am going to stop posting here in this topic because it is off topic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fish Head Soup said:

How exactly do you know this?

Well I am putting it together from the story and the charges for one thing. I suppose the family have some connections or they would not have gotten so far, so fast as they did.  They would not have even gotten this ridiculous trespass charge.  If they could have gotten something more, I guess they would have ...but anyway the story says the father had NO contact with the mother, therefore she could not have denied him entry at any time and she was not there.  She could not have told him "don't take my child" she could not have in fact have told him "don't take my child out of Thailand" EITHER!!

If you have shared custody and then full custody of the child and are married to the woman, I guess you would say are family with her and you are welcome into any dwelling areas that she has chosen for him and then left him unattended.  Certainly for the purposes of just gathering his necessary property.  If the place was on fire and he went in to get him would he be guilty too?  If he needed his insulin  ..what about then??

Did someone else try to deny him entry for purposes of keeping the passport? Then I suppose the boy would have gone in and asked for it and it was not given.  Probably the other child and so the Father had to do it, and the 10 year old child would give it to him?  Are you aware of such facts and trying to say that was robbery? I would say that was an adult showing up on scene and enforcing his rights.  IF the 9 year old boy cannot invite his father IN legally, then the 10 year old cannot legally deny the father entry either!!!  And if one happened, the other happened also. His son asked him to take back him to the UK and he needed that passport and certainly his son would have gotten it himself if he was able to. So he asked him to come into the house and get it for him.  Voila ..figured out!!

Police often charge people with things that are not correct and I think this is not correct.  However it is a minor issue.

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Anyway I am going to stop posting here in this topic because it is off topic. 

That's fine by me. Cheers! You're jumping to the conclusion that I'm saying all Thais are bad, but you won't find such a comment. What is true is you can easily fall foul of them. You have too. I remember the neighbour brought police around to your house to take care of a noise complaint. Couldn't even do the courtesy of talking to you about it. Another good example of how much respect they have for you.

Edited by tropo

20 minutes ago, amykat said:

Well I am putting it together from the story and the charges for one thing.

So basically you are guessing what may or may not have happened, and what may or may not have been said after reading a one sided article in a UK based newspaper that is well known for it's xenophobia and demonization of foreigners, and which is written by a 'reporter' who has probably never even set foot inside the Kingdom of Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

So basically you are guessing what may or may not have happened, and what may or may not have been said after reading a one sided article in a UK based newspaper that is well known for it's xenophobia and demonization of foreigners, and which is written by a 'reporter' who has probably never even set foot inside the Kingdom of Thailand.

Well you have been throwing around a lot of antagonistic words/comments that make you sound like a Thai who is xenophobic and who is demonizing foreigners, but who speaks English like a native ...so what is the deal??

Have you got something more to go on? Is this even reported in Thai news and what would that quality be? Those high standards they have here when they aren't being censored to death. Do you think they had access to the wife to speak to in Thailand?  What do you think she would say, tell us? What is the reason she kidnapped her kid back to here and that Thailand should keep him forever??  As far as we know, she never told anyone in the UK her reasons or that she was doing it.  Why wasn't he in a good private or international school with all that money she made after a decade in the UK?? Who is she with now, what is she doing, OH, maybe you are her boyfriend here???

Is that it??  You are taking an odd path on this thread that I can't figure out, let us in on it.

12 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I wonder if the child was just travelling on an emergency travel document. I would imagine the son was not holding his passport when he was playing in the street where his dad found him. This may have put airport officials on alert.

There is no reason to wonder about that for those who read the article linked: "As soon as Joleon saw his dad he asked to go home as he didn’t want to stay there. So they entered the house just to get Joleon’s passport."

13 hours ago, Sonhia said:

I feel for this guy. I have both a son and daughter, unfortunately born in Thailand, and know full well from bitter experiences, the feeling of being held back as a father, the anxiety, frustration, the not knowing, dealing with the carefree attitude of the Thai mother, who normally pushes the children onto the grandparents, in most cases, and using the father as a friend with benefits to  simply extort money from, so they can wear gold, or have the latest smart phone with the fake accessories, trying to be high so. You cannot make a silk purse from a pigs ear, but they try!

I've been there. .!

I personally would never take either my son or daughter from their respective mother, not unless the welfare of the child was/is at risk.

However, more assistance should be made available to foreigne fathers. As in my case, the British Embassy did very little to assist me and in fact, my Sons British passport was registered in my family name, but the Embassy allowed his British name, as stated on my sons Thai birth certificate, to be changed to his Thai name, even after I refused to allow his name to be changed! The British Embassy should pull its tongue out and focus more on its own citizens!

As for taking the matter to a Thai court, I've been there too. A waste of time, money, frustration etc. I'm a farang. Lowest of the low!

I fully appreciate the fathers actions, but feel that placing him in jail, is yet another slap in the face for foreigners. Ok, it is  abduction, but it's his own flesh and blood, and he probably was doing it for a very good reason?! Let's face it, Education in Thailand is sub standard, future outlook is bleak etc and although the U.K, is not a perfect place,  it is, however, a much better place compared to here. FACT!

Some may ask, "Why do you stay?" Because of my children, and for no other reasons at all. I could run, but I man up, unlike the locals, and try to be a part of my children's life, although much restricted! 

I wish the father, in this report, plus all all those other caring fathers the best, but it is a struggle. 

sums up the way im feeling right now, i also have 2 sons in Thailand to different mothers, the oldest one i havent seen in 2 and a half years , psycho mother dragged my boy away when i was in europe working for 3 months, and ive no idea where she is or where my son is.. no contact details nothing..I have another son in Sisaket, he was taken away against my wishes by his mother, and because of work, money , visa problems i had to go back home to try and get sorted again..My ex has now left to go live in new zealand with someone she met in a bar and my son is with grandparents and i hardly ever get to see him,  only when a member of the family passes by and i can messenger call.. none of the family speak half decent english so communication not easy.. i now have no contact with my ex, i want to take him back to the UK , but i cant do nothing without her signature or giving the ok..i also had the same thoughts as this guy, going back to Thailand, get my son a  thai and uk passport and taking him back, to the uk..frustrating as you say, we have basically no rights and only money talks... 

14 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Hang the bastard. I know a Thai woman who had that happen, her French ex abducted her 8 year old daughter back to France rather than try to get custody of the kid in a Thai court. It absolutely devastated the mother, and since Thailand isn't a signatory of the Hague Treaty On Child Abduction, once the Frenchman got the kid outside of Thailand there was no legal avenue open to her to get the kid back.

Nonsense.  Here is a list of the countries who have signed the Hague convention regarding child abduction: 

https://www.ag.gov.au/FamiliesAndMarriage/Families/InternationalFamilyLaw/Pages/HagueConventionOnTheCivilAspectsOfInternationalChildAbduction.aspx

Yes.  Thailand is on the list.

48 minutes ago, Awk said:

Nonsense.  Here is a list of the countries who have signed the Hague convention regarding child abduction: 

https://www.ag.gov.au/FamiliesAndMarriage/Families/InternationalFamilyLaw/Pages/HagueConventionOnTheCivilAspectsOfInternationalChildAbduction.aspx

Yes.  Thailand is on the list.

Thailand only signed up in April 2016. So the story the poster recounted that you rubbished was probably correct especially considering that an order cannot be made retrospectively in Thailand.

Edited by Fish Head Soup

2 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Thailand only signed up in April 2016. So the story the poster recounted that you rubbished was probably correct.

According to who?

This article from 2012 references Thailand as a signatory to the convention:

http://www.thailawforum.com/blog/girl-returned-to-mother-after-thailand-abduction

This says Thailand signed in 2002: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Convention_on_the_Civil_Aspects_of_International_Child_Abduction

1 hour ago, Awk said:

According to who?

http://www.thailawforum.com/blog/girl-returned-to-mother-after-thailand-abduction

This says Thailand signed in 2002: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Convention_on_the_Civil_Aspects_of_International_Child_Abduction

Okay, corrected. I should have written domestic legal procedures for acting upon the convention were only codified into Thai law in 2016.

15 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Hang the bastard. I know a Thai woman who had that happen, her French ex abducted her 8 year old daughter back to France rather than try to get custody of the kid in a Thai court. It absolutely devastated the mother, and since Thailand isn't a signatory of the Hague Treaty On Child Abduction, once the Frenchman got the kid outside of Thailand there was no legal avenue open to her to get the kid back.

I haven`t read anywhere that the Thai woman in the OP had already gone to court, either in the UK or in Thailand and been granted legal custody of the child.

I guess you are a woman with your feminist attitude that all men are bastards and women are always the victims. As for your Thai woman story ex taking their child back to France rather than try to gain custody in a Thai court, then why did this Thai woman in the OP take the child to Thailand and not try to obtain legal custody in a UK court? Should work both ways my dear.

The fact is, in western societies it is the accepted norm that women should demand equality in the public sphere, while expecting special privileges in the private sphere. It is women like you with your attitudes that is making men become forever more cautious about forming long term relationships with any women because if the relationship doesn`t work out, it can end in catastrophic disaster for the male partner. 

19 hours ago, Sonhia said:

I've been there. .!

Whether or not it is a better place is purely your OPINION not fact.

7 hours ago, amykat said:

Well I am putting it together from the story and the charges for one thing. I suppose the family have some connections or they would not have gotten so far, so fast as they did. 

7 hours ago, amykat said:

Well that would also presume that Mr. Felton's involvement in the matter is incidental.

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes i feel for him, but at the same time, what he did was crazy.

He honestly thinks Thai officials would be on his side, no way, Thai mother wins every time.

I'm going to have to disagree with you for once, Colin. He did break the law so the why should the Thai officials be on his side? I've heard the "Thai wins every time" sentiment repeated a lot on this site, but I've only got first hand knowledge of ONE guy who went through the courts when he divorced his wife: He got custody of his daughter and 50% of everything they bought since they got married (as per Thai law).  The fact that he was British and she Thai did not seem to disadvantage him in any way. 

4 hours ago, Awk said:

According to who?

BBC says NO, (August 2011) ..... who to believe?

"British authorities have no jurisdiction in Thailand, which is not a signatory of the Hague Convention, and abduction is not considered a crime in the Thai Kingdom."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-14737210

•  
Edited by MaeJoMTB

21 hours ago, Sonhia said:

I've been there. .!

I can understand your feelings. However, living in Thailand you have to follow Thai law. And with sufficient means you can give your children an adequate education according international standards. It's easy to father a woman but you have always to consider the very high costs of education later 

10 hours ago, tropo said:

That's fine by me. Cheers! You're jumping to the conclusion that I'm saying all Thais are bad, but you won't find such a comment. What is true is you can easily fall foul of them. You have too. I remember the neighbour brought police around to your house to take care of a noise complaint. Couldn't even do the courtesy of talking to you about it. Another good example of how much respect they have for you.

Tropo if your not saying that then I have absolutely no problem with you. I am only having problems with people saying ALL EVERY or Thais (meaning everyone) that kind of statements. Plenty of bad shit happens no denying that. 

My neighbor is a idiot, and he has problems with the other neighbors too who are Thai. Thing is you got a chip on your shoulder thinking that all the problems that happend to you are Thai farang related. Especially if you think that my neighbor had no respect for me because I was a farang. He has trouble with all neighbors and put his car in front of theirs blocking them. So its just a case of a dick neighbor not Thai farang related. But that is what happens with people who feel persecuted they think everything is because they are a foreigner. In your case you got a crap lawyer who ripped you of... my friend who was Thai got a unfair shake of the justice system too. So you can try to make everything Us vs Them but that is often not the case.

You sound a lot like the black (ex)gf of my brother she saw racism everywhere. While I am sure its there in her case and your case its not as huge as you think it is.

On 2/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, colinneil said:

Yes i feel for him, but at the same time, what he did was crazy.

He honestly thinks Thai officials would be on his side, no way, Thai mother wins every time.

"Thai mother wins every time"... He knew it well and that's why he tried to solve the matter by himself. That's the action of a desperate father. Unfortunately he's in the wrong and because of this he'll probably never see his son again. If he tried to cross the border overland into Laos I would have had more chances of success...

2 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

I can understand your feelings. However, living in Thailand you have to follow Thai law. And with sufficient means you can give your children an adequate education according international standards. It's easy to father a woman but you have always to consider the very high costs of education later 

Nothing like stating the obvious. This threads not about educating kids. 

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, Tradewind777 said:

Thailand is a signatory of The Hague Convention and as such once the processes are completed, Thailand would have to send the child back to UK. However, lengthy legal challenges are possible and it can drag out indefinitely and if she can argue the case effectively (sometimes perps get away with falsehoods), she can get away with it.

Jodie was however in the wrong to take the law into his own hands and bypass the processes for which he is in hot water.

It’s a dreadful case of possession being nine tenths of the law.

"The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction or Hague Abduction Convention is a multilateraltreaty developed by the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) that provides an expeditious method to return a child internationally abducted by a parent from one member country to another."

The child has not been "internationally abducted" by the mother and as such the Hague Convention is probably powerless.

Interestingly, I'm going through a similar situation where I'm divorced and we have a divorce contract that states that I WILL take the kids every year on vacation in the USA. I've done so every year since our divorce in 2010 and have always returned. 

This past 9 months, my son and daughter have been pushing to go study in the USA and move away from their emotionally and sometimes physically abusive mom. We've been in talks about them going to study and she said it was okay then changed her mind. So we've had a huge blow up about it. 

I had also booked the flight for me and my kids' annual trip to the USA and she told me that she won't let them go because I am trying to kidnap them. I reminded her that I have no intention as I'm not too keen on trading my freedom for doing time in a Thai prison. 

So now I'll be heading to family court here. 

THey should have reported this to local police and then to Interpol. Thailand is a sigantory to the Hague Child Abduction treaty (can't remember the full name and too lazy to look it up), but the point is that it would have gone to local law enforcement in Thailand.. And instead of spending his money trying to take her back, he should have hired a good lawyer in Thailand to resolve it.