Video: Tourist has just two words (repeatedly) for cabby who won't turn on the meter

webfact

23 hours ago, Essecola said:

It looks like somewhere on Sukhumvit. Actually it is normal many of them don't use the meter there. If the guy had waited for a moving taxi maybe this doesn't happen. Maybe not nice but in some areas in fact taxis insist on getting a set fare for a trip.

Yes...rarely had a problem in 20 years from a moving taxi. I never ask about the meter...just jump in the back and give clear directions. It's better to direct in Thai language...just learn a few simple words. Stationary taxis are stationary for a reason...they want an agreed fare to compensate them for hanging around waiting for a customer, and they calculate that overall they make more money for driving less distance. If you've no choice but to use them, then either confirm use of the meter before getting in and simply shut the door if they say no, or if already inside then simply get out...he'll need to wait longer for a fare, so it's his loss...again a few simple words in Thai helps. Blame people who just pay, because if nobody did, then the practice would stop fairly rapidly I would say.

Starting to wonder about Thais. Are they really that stupid and like doing stuff like this. The equation is simple He drives a cab that is his job  He has a meter installed in his cab why wont he use it god knows? If he dont like using the meter dont drive a cab Then again you can see why i guess it is not as simple as that The law states you must wear a helmet when riding a motor bike but many Thais dont  Any reason why  they wont wear a helmet? Would love to hear from Thais why they wont wear a helmet? Takes 5 seconds to put one on. Might save there life. Can see why Pm kisses and talks to frogs. They probably have more sense than some of his fellow countrymen

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I am writing from 16 years experience of living in Bangkok.

There is nothing anecdotal about my comments. 

I travel normal routes, if the bts is operating I use that. 

I never said meters were an issue with me. They won’t use, I don’t get in. 

I don’t care if a taxi refuses the meter or not, it’s their choice. 

Just as it is mine to refuse to use those who will not. 

And I am writing from 16 years experience of living in Bangkok.  There is indeed something anecdotal about your comments (as with anyone's comments on this board), unless you've done a survey of expats to compare experiences and based your comments on such a survey.

I travel normal routes as well in central BKK and never have a problem with meters.  I never said you said meters were an issue with you, my point was that asking them beforehand if they will use a meter is generally a waste of time unless you are getting one in a tourist area.

On 2/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, Get Real said:

That man should recieve a gold medal! Just another "bad ass" - childish taxi driver that just don´t care about the rules.

How was it, where is the "BIG WIG"? Didn´t he say that all taxi drivers should follow the rules, turn on the meter and stop jerking off while having a female customer?

He did the onlöy sensible and right thing. Just walk away everytime something is wrong? That´s what a person without backbone does. You are just stating that all of of just should bend over and get F#@ked over and over again.

I cannot help but wonder what you would say to the guy who has had the crap kicked out of him several times and has learned the hard way to just walk away.  Not everyone is Bruce Lee or Connor McGregor.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

And I am writing from 16 years experience of living in Bangkok.  There is indeed something anecdotal about your comments (as with anyone's comments on this board), unless you've done a survey of expats to compare experiences and based your comments on such a survey.

I travel normal routes as well in central BKK and never have a problem with meters.  I never said you said meters were an issue with you, my point was that asking them beforehand if they will use a meter is generally a waste of time unless you are getting one in a tourist area.

That was your point...didn't see that at all.

I am simply pointing out that there are times and places where drivers will not use the meter.

Based on experience.

Not anecdotes...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I am simply pointing out that there are times and places where drivers will not use the meter.

This is true, and if caught in one of those times or places it's completely pointless to get angry about it. So many posts in this thread blame the individual taxi, but it's more likely that he had no choice if operating in that particular location. It's down to which particular mafia controls the turf in those lucrative tourist spots. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That was your point...didn't see that at all.

Based on experience.

Not anecdotes...

Yes, that was my point - clearly stated.

As for your point, it most certainly was not "pointing out that there are times and places where drivers will not use the meter."  To quote your post #5 "Always make clear you want the meter used before you get in a taxi, if they won’t, don’t get in."  

And finally, basing these observations on experience is a textbook (or dictionary) definition of the anecdotal.   As defined in the Oxford:  "(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research."   

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kimber said:

I planned to relocate over the last year or so,  have a lovely Thai girl waiting but refuse to live there after considering how much endemic graft and outright criminal intent is focused against we farangs nowadays.

I lived in Thailand in the mid 80's,  sadly it's a drowning cess pit now.

Same here, nearly thirty years now, but it's not the place it was, neither are the people......... not all....just too many in action men uniforms.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSiamHand said:

Yes, very cheap (by that I mean a very good value for the amount paid)

It is very cheap, too cheap for the taxi drivers to live a life that does not often involve sleeping in their cab and working unsafe numbers of hours.  Before berating the minority of taxi drivers who do not follow the rules and use their meter, I would consider just what it is like for them to work with the metered rate and then perhaps you will arrive at the conclusion that your anger would be more positive if focused on the authorities who refuse to lift the rates to a level that both provides the drivers a living wage and also reduces the number of cars on the road by pushing more people into using mass public transport.

40 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

Yes, that was my point - clearly stated.

As for your point, it most certainly was not "pointing out that there are times and places where drivers will not use the meter."  To quote your post #5 "Always make clear you want the meter used before you get in a taxi, if they won’t, don’t get in."  

And finally, basing these observations on experience is a textbook (or dictionary) definition of the anecdotal.   As defined in the Oxford:  "(of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research."   

That is my approach to dealing with taxis.

The point I am arguing with you is that taxis will refuse in certain places and circumstances refuse to use the meter, it is based on experience..

And is correct.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That was a point.

The point I am arguing with you is valid as well as based on experience..

And is correct.

That was a point?  Yes, that was a point, but not your point ("always" versus "times and places").  I'm sure your point (or points) are valid to you based on your experience, which is anecdotal. 

Now this is the "point" where you admit you've muddled your argument or, second best, move on to something more interesting. 

19 hours ago, CharlesSwann said:

TJW  (Tourist Justice Warrior). Unfortunately it generally equates with LCA (Lack of Cultural Awareness) and SOT (Sense of Entitlement). People who actually live here know it's not worth the ill-will to argue. However, good luck to the occasional guy trying to change things. This cabbie might be a bit less likely to try this again, and if it happens to him often enough he might just come to think it's not worth the trouble.

Can you get a little more arrogant, please?!

Tourists come here from all over the world and they might not have your kind of expertise in dealing with Taxis.

Some might actually come from a country, where taxi- drivers simply follow the law!

Why the wish to be treated like this, also in Thailand, is SOT or LCA is really beyond me!

"Who are you TJW, coming to this heavenly place and expecting some kind of law and order?! You must truely be an idiot! Let me, the great Charles Swann teach you a lesson or two about life!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Starting to wonder about Thais. Are they really that stupid and like doing stuff like this. The equation is simple He drives a cab that is his job  He has a meter installed in his cab why wont he use it god knows? If he dont like using the meter dont drive a cab Then again you can see why i guess it is not as simple as that The law states you must wear a helmet when riding a motor bike but many Thais dont  Any reason why  they wont wear a helmet? Would love to hear from Thais why they wont wear a helmet? Takes 5 seconds to put one on. Might save there life. Can see why Pm kisses and talks to frogs. They probably have more sense than some of his fellow countrymen

and as a result of behaviour like this, they have one of the most dangerous roads in teh world or the highest road toll

ignore the rules, people suffer the consequences,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lamyai3 said:

This is true, and if caught in one of those times or places it's completely pointless to get angry about it. So many posts in this thread blame the individual taxi, but it's more likely that he had no choice if operating in that particular location. It's down to which particular mafia controls the turf in those lucrative tourist spots. 

wait a minute

so this driver is going to get in trouble by abiding by the rules/laws and turning his meter on, especially when asked???

give me a break........

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It is very cheap, too cheap for the taxi drivers to live a life that does not often involve sleeping in their cab and working unsafe numbers of hours.  Before berating the minority of taxi drivers who do not follow the rules and use their meter, I would consider just what it is like for them to work with the metered rate and then perhaps you will arrive at the conclusion that your anger would be more positive if focused on the authorities who refuse to lift the rates to a level that both provides the drivers a living wage and also reduces the number of cars on the road by pushing more people into using mass public transport.

well, if the rates were unsustainable and that normal drivers couldnt make a living, theyd probably stop being a taxi driver, and the country would be have a massive shortage of taxi drivers, its then up to the governemnt or authroity to make changes ,

being lowly paid is not an excuse to break the rules/laws and behave like an idiot

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

That was a point?  Yes, that was a point, but not your point ("always" versus "times and places").  I'm sure your point (or points) are valid to you based on your experience, which is anecdotal. 

Now this is the "point" where you admit you've muddled your argument or, second best, move on to something more interesting. 

I've not muddled anything, been quite clear and consistent with you.

No anecdotes either.

Edited by Bluespunk

5 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

wait a minute

so this driver is going to get in trouble by abiding by the rules/laws and turning his meter on, especially when asked???

give me a break........

You think these guys operate freely outside the big hotels etc? At the very least he'd be kicked off operating on that particular patch by his peers. 

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You think these guys operate freely outside the big hotels etc? At the very least he'd be kicked off operating on that particular patch by his peers. 

so if a driver accepts a customer and says "no meter, meter broken , 300 baht" hes going to get a thumbs up from his fellow drivers or the local mafia boss

and if he says "yes meter is fine" hes going to get his knee caps broken..

geez, funniest thing ive read all day, thank you

6 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

so if a driver accepts a customer and says "no meter, meter broken , 300 baht" hes going to get a thumbs up from his fellow drivers or the local mafia boss

and if he says "yes meter is fine" hes going to get his knee caps broken..

geez, funniest thing ive read all day, thank you

You sound like you have no actual experience here at all. Try getting a meter cab outside Siam Paragon or lower Sukhumvit at busy times and see how many reject using the meter, one after the other. Meanwhile a few blocks up the road the cabs will flick on the meter automatically. 

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

You sound like you have no actual experience here at all. Try getting a meter cab outside Siam Paragon or lower Sukhumvit at busy times and see how many reject using the meter, one after the other. Meanwhile a few blocks up the road the cabs will flick on the meter automatically. 

Was there a few weeks ago, and yes I experienced what you are referring to,

simply went to the end of the soi, and found a metered taxi on the second go,

he was perfectly content to take me whereever I wanted to go on the meter,

tipped him well to and thanked him.

doubt the drivers 50meters down the road were too scared to turn the meter on,

they were simply too greedy or more opporuntunitsc

Years ago had just toured the Grand Palace with my Thai girlfriend of 2 years, who had oddly never seen it.

Upon leaving we went to the taxi ramp to get a return journey to our hotel, none of the drivers would turn on their meters and demanded 400-500 bht for the journey (it cost 200 bht in the opposite direction an hour earlier).

Finial on the 3rd cab in the rank my girlfriend started to argue with the driver in Thai, she told me later he has said to her "he's a farang he can afford it, why you take his side, your thai!".

She was so embarrassed that I had been treated this way....I said 'welcome to the life of a farang in Thailand"

A year later I took her on holiday to New Zealand and she noticed she was charged the same as me everywhere we went....except in Waitangi where the Treaty House Museum is free for Kiwis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hellohello123 said:

Its even worse when its raining, they know they have a desperate clientele

13 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Your first paragraph is quite right, the driver at the end of the soi is outside the controlled zone, for want of a better expression. But the fact that every driver that hangs around outside the locations that produce high yield customers refuses to use the meter should make it obvious that some sort of protectionism is at work.

It's not just a tourist problem either, they're equally unwilling to switch on the meter for Thais in these places. You don't see the Thais losing their cool when the driver refuses the meter, like the idiot in the video. 

Edited by lamyai3

25 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Your first paragraph is quite right, the driver at the end of the soi is outside the controlled zone, for want of a better expression. But the fact that every driver that hangs around outside the locations that produce high yield customers refuses to use the meter should make it obvious that some sort of protectionism is at work.

It's not just a tourist problem either, they're equally unwilling to switch on the meter for Thais in these places. You don't see the Thais losing their cool when the driver refuses the meter, like the idiot in the video. 

...and by idiot, you are surely referring to the taxi- driver, who did not abide the law!?

:saai: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I've not muddled anything, been quite clear and consistent with you.

No anecdotes either.

dig in them heels!  you've not refuted your muddling of your argument from "always" to "times and places", and I guess you have a better definition of anecdote than the Oxford dictionary (still waiting on that one too).

• Haha 1