Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

4 hours ago, Justfine said:

You use lots of words yet say nothing.

That's how Nigerian scams work.

Quite honestly I have no idea what you are referring to when you say Nigerian scam. Believe it or not my world is not based around scams, nor is my friends, family or close nit circles. I am not from Nigeria. As stated before I am from Oregon in the USA. I am not a young girl, I am middle aged. I am not saying a lot of words that mean nothing" I am bringing some light to your interesting (for lack of a better word) speculation. I am educated, with an amazing career family and life. I do nothing but decent proper and positive things, and I am not coming on here to lie and fuel fire. I am coming on here to open some eyes to the fact this is not a scam. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Scott said:

There are a huge number of scams in Thailand, including many perpetrated by foreigners.   There are also a huge number of local scams.   Many, if not most, people who live in Thailand have been a victim of some of these scams.   Most are not significant enough to warrant much publicity, but overcharging, altered taxi meters, police shakedowns are fairly common.

You do not have to justify your remarks, but be aware that a lot of people view many situations with a jaundiced eye.  

Oh I see. Thank you for the clarification. I understand now about the constant speculation because of this. It would be almost possible for this to be a gofundme scam here. However all will know soon enough it is not a scam.

1 minute ago, Makara said:

Oh I see. Thank you for the clarification. I understand now about the constant speculation because of this. It would be almost possible for this to be a gofundme scam here. However all will know soon enough it is not a scam.

*impossible 

"I am educated, with an amazing career family and life."

Relevance? Not a dating site. If I was trying to help someone I wouldn't talk about my sparkling eyes and amazing life.

People just want proof about the story.

Paperwork, photos etc.

4 hours ago, thadvert said:

I see you are emotionally invested in this story and I think that's fine. Anger, threats, censorship, these are not the paths of love or light, only darkness. 

We are not here to curse the darkness, but to light the candle that can guide us through that darkness. Maybe I am Don Juanig, maybe I am not. Maybe you are Danniel Paquette, maybe you are not. 

What seems right with this picture? Are these innocent women we are trying to keep off the street? Is this crime much worse than robbing someone? Do I care if these women are stuck in Thailand for 15 years? No, I don't know them. Does their family care? Yes, I believe so. They stole fake money from a Cambodian graveyard yet you don't bat an eye. I dislike any person who would take advantage of a token left for someone's deceased loved one, grave robbers are grave robbers, whether they are Nigerian, Westerners, or Greek Argonauts. 

The only strange thing going on in this case is the wool being over everyone's eye except those that are blinded by the light and love emanating from these innocent travelers.

Interesting

Seems easy enough to verify their  "story" that they found the money in Cambodia. The mud conveniently placed of the word copy would be easily proven to be from the same area of Cambodia they say they found it.  If it was local Thai mud that would show intent to deceive. Did they declare the money crossing the Cambodia / Thai border? Who know maybe they didn't find it but actually earned it. Would not be the first time a down on your luck tourist had to pick up an "odd" job to make ends meet. Then when paid with fake money tried to get some value out of the payment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another pair of farangs banged up in Thailand on false charges. Diplomats do nothing. Sackless bureaucrats who leech off the public tit. Odd that EVERY TVF member is ready to believe the worst about these women, when it's well-known how easy it is to be charged here.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Waterman1 said:

Seems easy enough to verify their  "story" that they found the money in Cambodia. The mud conveniently placed of the word copy would be easily proven to be from the same area of Cambodia they say they found it.  If it was local Thai mud that would show intent to deceive. Did they declare the money crossing the Cambodia / Thai border? Who know maybe they didn't find it but actually earned it. Would not be the first time a down on your luck tourist had to pick up an "odd" job to make ends meet. Then when paid with fake money tried to get some value out of the payment.

Good point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, amykat said:

This is a credibility attack also. That is how people who don't have any substance to argue with, try to win.

That is a type of scam itself ...maybe that is why you believe yourself so sensitive to them?

Interesting comment. People in genuine need show proof.

No proof shown thus far.

Twisting words around is not proof.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Let's see if proof emerges in the next 48 hours.

Should take no more than 24 hours to provide it.

It won't. The supporter of the pair along with the boyfriend and the gofundme accounts have had a wealth of opportunities to provide real details and updates with real information, but each opportunity is instead filled with vacuous waffle focussing on sympathy and donations.

This is a made up story.

Do boiler rooms still operate in Bangkok? These girls seem tailor made for that kind of work.

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

It won't. The supporter of the pair along with the boyfriend and the gofundme accounts have had a wealth of opportunities to provide real details and updates with real information, but each opportunity is instead filled with vacuous waffle focussing on sympathy and donations.

This is a made up story.

Do boiler rooms still operate in Bangkok? These girls seem tailor made for that kind of work.

Not sure. I went to boiler room seminars a few times. Walked away with freebies and got to see some disappointed looks on the salesperson faces.

They call it Timeshare.

Interesting story this for a Saturday morning read. I skipped a few pages but read the last 12. There is only one other reference to this story [not including Coconuts]:

https://www.mtdemocrat.com/news/two-area-women-held-in-thailand/

and it relies mainly on info from family, friends and the Gofund Me page.

Nothing in the BP or in the Chiang Mai on line papers and you'd assume that Foreigners getting arrested in Thailand  for passing fake American currency would be in the news.

Sorry, gotta have some doubts now.

8 minutes ago, norrska said:

Unfortunately, your statement is  a subjective observational and logical fallacy.  It's like saying, "I don't know anyone murdered in Chicago, therefore there are no murders in Chicago."  Next.

No it isn't.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, amykat said:

This is a credibility attack also. That is how people who don't have any substance to argue with, try to win.

That is a type of scam itself ...maybe that is why you believe yourself so sensitive to them?

But but.... Amy Kat... really?

we the people, don’t have any substance, because no matter how hard we look in regional news sources, there is no local record or information

all information comes from a begging fund... from the mouth of one man, who refuses to give detail (substance) on the case, due to a Californian lawyers advice to not speak further

a Californian lawyers advise means jack over here (about comments made in the USA).... but... a Californian lawyer, who may have to represent the originator of a fraudulent gofundme page in California, should be listened to.

• Like 1

Do you think some of you might have a mild obsession and maybe your dislike of Western women is also showing itself here ...I'm not sure but something strange is going on!!

But but Amy Kat... really?

until somewhere around page 40 of this thread, when makara said she was a woman..... everyone appeared to assume That she was a he

so..... absolutely nothing to do with disliking women.... but simply disliking people who are trying to defraud other trusting folk... protect the trusting folk amykat

and yes... lmao... something strange is going on

• Like 1

I can picture the two women discussing what they would tell cops if caught with all those counterfeit dollars.

"we found it in a bag on a bus?"   ....nah

"someone paid us a bunch of cash for our jewelry?"  ....nah

"we found it in a neat pile on the street?"   yea, ok, let's go with that story. ha ha ha ha ha.

• Like 1

Do you think some of you might have a mild obsession and maybe your dislike of Western women is also showing itself here ...I'm not sure but something strange is going on!!

If people are out of arguments and don't know how to help them self they like to claim that the other party is just against them because of gender, skin color, sexual orientation or whatever else makes them different from each other.

• Like 2

Interesting stuff one finds on the internet.... we here, who can find no news on Thai media, are unable to make reports to gofundme, when suspecting scams....,velly interesting 

Maybe they can’t afford the extra staff it would take to substantiate the truth of the matter... so.... open wide... come inside ?????

This would be the perfect opportunity for a police photo op, you know 20 BIB and the cleaning lady all pointing at the evil doers and yet they are surprisingly quiet on this one, not even 'watch me now Prawit' telling us how he is protecting Thais from foreign evil doers, it's a very deep rabbit hole.