Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

us.jpg

Danniel Paquette (L), Misty Eichholz (R)

Two American women have been arrested and are being held in Thailand after allegedly trying to exchange fake US dollars.

Misty Eichholz and Danniel Paquette, both from California, arrived in Thailand on 16th February for a one month holiday.

They were arrested one week into their trip,  Penne Usher from Mountain Democrat reported.

A GoFundMe page has been set up by friends and family of the two women.

Few details regarding the arrest of the women have been reported.

However, according to the GoFundMe page, the women found some US currency in the street in Chiang Mai and attempted to exchange it, which is when they were arrested.

“They came across U.S. currency in the street and believed it to be pure luck,” the post states.

“Luck turned to terror, however, when attempting to exchange the currency, they were counterfeit.”

The GoFundMe page hopes to raise $50,000 for an attorney.

“To anyone who has met these two beautiful girls (you) know what kind of people they are. Each of them embody light,” reads the the Gofund me page.

“They are the most sweet, kindhearted and soulful individuals that I have ever met.”

The two women are now believed to have been released from a women’s jail in Chiang Mai after posting bail.

However, after having their passports confiscated by police they are staying in a local hostel until their case goes to trial next month.

According to the post the pair face up to 12 years in jail if found guilty.

Source: Penne Usher, Mountain Democrat

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-27

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, webfact said:

To anyone who has met these two beautiful girls (you) know what kind of people they are. Each of them embody light,” reads the the Gofund me page.

Their attempt to cash in money found on the street, suggests they aren't very honest.

Odd huh. 

American women find fake American money on the street in Thailand. Just happened to be American cash not Thai, Russian, Chinese etc.

I  quess american's find American money on the street other countries probably only find their countries fake money on the street also.

Appears some people have no pride will ask for money for anything. And apparently way more than they even need. Make cash from a crime seems to be the standard now

56 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If they're both such goody two shoes why didn't they hand it in?

Just askin'

That's the 2nd part of the cock n bull story.

After finding it, they were changing it to Thai baht, to make it easier for the police.

They found a bundle of fake US dollars in the street... a likely story. 

Someone in the UK recently tried to buy my old iPhone with 250 quid worth of fake 20s and one real 10.  I would have been devastated to have been scammed like that. 

Think about the Thai people that would have been left out of pocket had these been put into circulation.

Frankly, I have no sympathy for people trying to use fake money and prison is a suitable option for them. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A GoFundMe page has been set up by friends and family of the two women.

Are they kidding,  they are raising money for something that these girls allegedly did that was highly illegal    !!!    absolutely absurd    !!  

no money for wrong doers  !!  imo:shock1:

12 minutes ago, DLang said:

That's the 2nd part of the cock n bull story.

After finding it, they were changing it to Thai baht, to make it easier for the police.

Yep.

Because they are so 'smart' they believe that eveyone outside their own border will be easy to 'outsmart' Goes for many western nations.

Big problem when they find out they are the ones being 'outsmarted'

My idea. They got conned buying the money from someone, at a very good rate, who was leaving the next day and thought they could make a bit extra for the holiday. 

I might be way off but!!

well if they had a few that they brought with them then they likely have a lot more so a search of their residence should reveal that, also if they claim to have found the money there could be cctv to prove that. Also were they travelling alone, do they have a previous form in the US

On the face of it I personally don't believe their story 

12 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

I dont think the BIB would arrest them if they found a fake note and tried to exchange it, but having 5 or 10 thats a different story. More like they already had them and probably good fakes and thought the Thai's wouldn't notice more like.

But hey Im not Columbo so what do I know.

It was $1000. Probably fake $100s.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

$50,000 for an attorney? Seriously? That is about 1.6 Million baht.

A decent lawyer should cost no more than 2-300,000 for the pair of them.

What is the rest for? A fat luxurious holiday while they wait for the court case?

You are clueless! A good lawyer charges much, much more. A friend was in a serious legal situation a few years ago and his legal fees were well over one million Baht. There were about 3-4 lawyers working on the case and many appearances required. A potential 12 year prison term is not the same as a real estate deal!

That makes sense. Germans, some Irish, Greeks etc,,will find Euros in Thailand? Would Thais abroad find fake Thai baht somewhere on the road?>

Some things just don't add up. Found money and no clue that it could be fake? Why didn't they ask at a bank if the money was fake? maybe because...aeeh, no speculations.

Why do they have two fund raising begs? 

Interesting is their GoFundMe goal: https://www.gofundme.com/release-misty-and-dannielle-fund  $9,363 of $50,000 goal

https://www.youcaring.com/mistyeichholzanddannielpaquette-1111013    $ 235 of wanted $100,000.  No comment why they're using two web pages, not known by everybody. At least. they're not asking for peanuts. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Their attempt to cash in money found on the street, suggests they aren't very honest.

Good point, but they believed they were special, fate put the money on the ground just for them.

God gave them special good luck, just for them. 

Hope they get shamed at home, and get punished.

Ho

3 minutes ago, elektrified said:

You are clueless! A good lawyer charges much, much more. A friend was in a serious legal situation a few years ago and his legal fees were well over one million Baht. There were about 3-4 lawyers working on the case and many appearances required. A potential 12 year prison term is not the same as a real estate deal!

30-4k USD..must of been some serious doodah for anybody to pay that and even them it will be padded to the hilt. 

6 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Ho

30-4k USD..must of been some serious doodah for anybody to pay that and even them it will be padded to the hilt. 

I wonder if many people snap to the correlation between getting a cheap lawyer, and the results we often read about in horrific detail.  Our corporate Thai guy charges $500 an hour and has saved us many multiples of that.  And he steers us to a cheaper firm when we don't need that kind of service.

Archived