Two American women held in Thailand after allegedly caught with fake US dollars

webfact

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

They may have though that Thais are simplistic and wouldnt have noticed fake money. And they proabably thought that the money changer would just refuse to change the money and nothing more would come of it

And they probably thought that they could just say "We found it and didnt know that it was fake" and that would be the end of it .

Maybe so. Like I said I cannot speak for them specifically, and a lot of people have questions as to the how and why, but, I needed to come here to state that it is not a scam and people need to let that rest. Really the whole situation is sad. Any which way you look at it. It is very messed up and I give no excuses for it... but it is very sticky, weird, confusing situation. Literally on ALL ends. But I do have a lot of questions on how all of these things are handled in Thailand. Questions that I am sure will be answered soon enough, it just is very scary, the unknowing.  

• Like 1

I live in Oregon. I have not donated to the gofundme. I do know one of the women. I am best friends with her close friends, and have spent time with her on several different levels. But I am not her close friend. I do care about this. I do care about her. I do have ties... but I come here as a worried person for the entirety of the situation. I have a lot of unanswered questions, a lot of concerns, a lot of things don't add up for so many reasons. But it is the truth and this is happening. it is not a scam.

2 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

Yes, if by 48 hours you mean 84 days, then I'm with you.

No, the Police can hold you for 48 hours , then they have to put you before a Judge to make a ruling on what to do (Which could be further interrogation , if they feel that its neccessary)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Makara said:

It’s not up to us to weigh out the morality of their decisions. It is up to us to find out facts.

Lot's of moral indignation in your post, but it was the above comment in light of all your others that made me take notice.

You seem to know a lot of the facts we are questioning.  How?  For example, how do you know that the girls had no criminal background?  How do you know that the events in california are unrelated to the events in Thailand (e.g. that the girls are unrelated to the accused fellow from CA)?  How do you know that they found the money in cambodia? 

You'd get a lot of people on board with your position if you could establish some basis of how you know of all these facts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Makara said:

Maybe so. Like I said I cannot speak for them specifically, and a lot of people have questions as to the how and why, but, I needed to come here to state that it is not a scam and people need to let that rest.

Why are they trying to raise US$150 000 ?

What is that money for ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It seems that there is an attempt to paint these two as a couple of innocents abroad, babes in the woods. Perhaps you can tell us what their travel itinerary has been, because the whole business of finding $1000 lying on the side of the road in Cambodia, then waiting to try and pass it off as real in Thailand, when it clearly was not, which would have been more than obvious, especially for an American, just smells more than a little fishy. It may be the old story of friends and relatives refusing to believe that the sweet, butter wouldn't melt in their mouths duo, are capable of doing something criminal.

All I know is that they were traveling to Thailand for a month on vacation and the woman I know has traveled to other countries. I do not know more but can easily find out details. I understand everyones speculation and why. I am not saying that they are innocent or guilty to what is happening. Only they can prove their defense. I feel that painting a picture of them being some deer in the woods duo is unfair however. And speculating about them because of their appearance is also not fair. What is fact is it is not a scam and they are truly in trouble for what they did. Like I said before I don't agree with what they did, and how they handled it, but I do care about the outcome. I can say for certain is the woman I know is not a criminal minded person. she does not have a criminal mentality in my opinion. I am sure the answer to why they took the money from Cambodia to Thailand will be answered in a hearing, one hopes. I don't have that answer for you right now.

19 minutes ago, Makara said:

I live in Oregon. I have not donated to the gofundme. I do know one of the women. I am best friends with her close friends, and have spent time with her on several different levels. But I am not her close friend. I do care about this. I do care about her. I do have ties... but I come here as a worried person for the entirety of the situation. I have a lot of unanswered questions, a lot of concerns, a lot of things don't add up for so many reasons. But it is the truth and this is happening. it is not a scam.

I am starting to change my mind and it might be well possible that the complete story is a matter naivity, ignorance paired with stupidity from two young girls, enjoying a holiday and not thinking too much about possible consequences. It is / was the sheer panic which made me suspicious from the beginning, the amounts mentioned for bail or lawyer fees, the total lack of reports in local newspapers, the request not to contact the embassy, the requests for donations ....well, how should those guys in the US know about the local procedures in handling such cases. Finally too many Cooks involved which could spoil the dish - let the local People with assistance of the embassy handle it and it will go away.

• Like 2

Just now, Prince77 said:

I am starting to change my mind and it might be well possible that the complete story is a matter naivity, ignorance paired with stupidity from two young girls, enjoying a holiday and not thinking too much about possible consequences. It is / was the sheer panic which made me suspicious from the beginning, the amounts mentioned for bail or lawyer fees, the total lack of reports in local newspapers, the request not to contact the embassy, the requests for donations ....well, how should those guys in the US know about the local procedures in handling such cases. Finally too many Cooks involved which could spoil the dish - let the local People with assistance of the embassy handle it and it will go away.

See my point to coming on here is exactly what you just said. Personally I feel the situation on loved ones end was based on fear and emotion and handled the wrong way. That is because of lack of maturity and understanding. I see why people were getting so confused and claiming to be a scam because of the way it has been handled. I think loved ones are starting to understand this now. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why are they trying to raise US$150 000 ?

What is that money for ?

I think what happened is out of fear based emotion, a lack of understanding as well as misinterpretation of how much money was needed to raise to have lawyer fees and bail. They have since changed it to 15,000 USD probably because of a better understanding. The person who set it up is also quite young...and i feel he was misguided by unknowing people.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I wonder if the gofundme admin. staff ever monitor such activity (many negative comments quickly removed by brandon etc etc) and ask the likes of brandon to explain and if there is doubt then block and further donations being received?

Further, I wonder if gofundme have the mechanisms to return donations if it's clearly proven it's a scam? 

Further, I wonder whether the donations are quickly passed to the organizer (brandon) or is there a waiting period?

Brandon stated that he has already been drawing on the funds.

10 minutes ago, Makara said:

I do not know more but can easily find out details.

OK. I am also in Chiang Mai .

I would happily go and meet them today , they can show me their charge sheet and their bail papers and I can then confirm whether they really did get arrested

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

How much has been raise already?

10, 208 I believe and it was changed to 15,000 cap. There is an update that Brandon just put up from Misty a few moments ago about what has happened currently fyi

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

OK. I am also in Chiang Mai .

I would happily go and meet them today , they can show me their charge sheet and their bail papers and I can then confirm whether they really did get arrested

I can pass the message but she is with people who live there through connections of friends, that has also helped with this process. Read the update on gofundme. I would hope that showing arrest record would be important and will happen in this process.

14 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Brandon stated that he has already been drawing on the funds.

I am almost positive that gofundme would return money if proven a scam. of course. Just to be clear the majority of donors are family, friends, acquaintances, friends of friends etc. There are some strangers but we are all somehow tied to the story and why the strangers donated.  These people do not feel scammed. They are hoping to help with legal fees. With that being said, I am here to tell you that this is not a scam.

16 minutes ago, Justfine said:

How much has been raise already?

10,208 out of the 15,000. They changed the cap after more understanding of how much they may need. It's all a misunderstanding due to misinterpretation of what was needed in the beginning. 

1 hour ago, Makara said:

Well I gotta say I am quite saddened to see some of this conversation, and in the same breath I understand some of the concerns and why there’s such broad speculation happening.

Let me clear a few things up, and reiterate that I too have a lot of legitimate questions, some unanswered as of now, and some answered.

Let’s start with the clearing up that his is not a scam. I can see why so many people think so. To be honest I was so concerned by the discrepancies from one article to another, from one update to the next, from one fb post (statement) to the next post, from one group funding to the next, and I was starting to fear in the beginning stages that they were kidnapped. Luckily my worst nightmare was not the case, at least 95% sure now.

These women are real people.

What happened really happened.

Their significant others are real people and not trying to scam the public. With that being said a lot of this was done (such as gofundme pages) out of emotional response of their young significant others, and how the ladies may be in danger/trouble, as well as what was being told to them as far as how much money they were going to need for everything. There is no plan to take peoples money. And most of the donors are friends, know them, family, or friends of friends. The last thing people are going to do so publicly, is rip people off. I mean do you even understand what would happen to them if this was a scam? This story is extremely public (on our end--US) and they would be in a lot of trouble if this was a scam. So please understand this is not a scam. Put that thought to rest.

The Citrus Heights incident in California and their incident are completely separate issues, and have absolutely no connection. Very strange, seems somewhat coincidental, yeah? I know. But it isn't connected.

These two women have no criminal background whatsoever. None. Zelch.

Were they extremely naive and wrong? Yes. Did they know it was counterfeit--I would hope the f*** not, but only they know, and as it stands I feel like they did not. Would that’ve been how I would have handled the situation? No. Which leads me to the next point  clear up...

They did not find the money in a bag, in an envelope, on the side of a street, or took it out of graves. They found the money in a small town in Cambodia, in a remote area where no other people were, in a mud puddle and the money was strewn out down a back road. They assumed it had flew out of someone's pocket that was on a bike. One thing's for certain it was a really dumb move to keep the money, and they did not take the right steps at all in returning the money; I agree with this. I cannot speak for them on the why they did what they did. I can only focus on the now. It is purely up to them to place their defense in Thailand and speak their truth and hope for the best. Are they lowlifes? Seriously!? One can be so judgemental to consider them lowlifes. That’s so incredibly sad that people would truly wish the worse on someone, when this is in no way any type of caliber to murder, or assault, or other horrific crimes on this planet.

It’s not up to us to weigh out the morality of their decisions. It is up to us to find out facts. Again, I am not in agreement to what they did and I would have done it differently if I found $1000 USD. But I am not heartless.

Reality is, it was fake money, most likely dropped there on purpose (speculation) to stoop someone. I personally wonder if it was spirit money or really good counterfeit money. That question is still unanswered.

Before you cast so much hatred and spread so much speculation, perhaps open your heart a little. We are not speaking of a heinous crime involving hurting someone physically. They have to live with this mistake and possible prison time in a country they are not from and do not live in; isn't that enough for the people spitting so much volatile comments.

I truly have concerns, I have questions. Some things aren't adding up on how this is being handle on EVERY angle; but instead of going to the worse, saying it is a scam, and claiming they have no moral standards, casting judgement on them, wanting to throw the book at them, maybe we should remember that no matter how undeniably dumb it all sounds, people make mistakes.

The people in their corner are not scamming thousands of people in the states. Let that rest.

There is a lot to say after all I have seen on this thread, but I will leave at that for now.

It is Brandon who has claimed it was Cambodian spirit money, so why are you now speculating that it might not be? Do you know more than he about the matter?

If it was spirit money, they knew it was fake. No doubt.

Either way, they are still thieves. 

On the other hand, it is fortunate that they have support from friends, family and fellow Americans.

8 minutes ago, Makara said:

I am almost positive that gofundme would return money if proven a scam. of course. Just to be clear the majority of donors are family, friends, acquaintances, friends of friends etc. There are some strangers but we are all somehow tied to the story and why the strangers donated.  These people do not feel scammed. They are hoping to help with legal fees. With that being said, I am here to tell you that this is not a scam.

Myself and I guess many other don't believe you, totally don't believe you and for good reasons. Many disbelievers are resident full-time here in Thailand and know absolutely that this 'story' has more holes than swiss cheese.

As I sign of good faith please share totally specifically what brandon has used the funds for (the cash he's already received from gofundme). 

No reply and you just reconfirm it's a scam.

Edited by scorecard

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

It is Brandon who has claimed it was Cambodian spirit money, so why are you now speculating that it might not be? Do you know more than he about the matter?

If it was spirit money, they knew it was fake. No doubt.

Either way, they are still thieves. 

On the other hand, it is fortunate that they have support from friends, family and fellow Americans.

Yes Brandon said it was spirit money. I am wondering and asking if it was spirit money or counterfeit they found. No I don't know more than him as he is one of the girls boyfriends. I also feel if it was spirit money you would know, right? I mean I understand it was wet and in the mud and then dried but that was one of my original questions i had. I think thieves is a harsher statement than what I would use. They didn't steal it, they found it on a remote road. However they didn't do due diligence in returning whatever they found properly. I can agree with that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Myself and I guess many other don't believe you, totally don't believe you and for good reasons. MAny disbelievers are resident full-time here in Thailand and know absolutely that this 'story' has more holes than swiss cheese.

As I sign of good faith please share totally specifically what brandon has used the funds for (the cash he's already received from gofundme). 

No reply and you just reconfirm it's a scam.

I do not know Brandon but I will ask, no problem, and there is an update on gofundme so please read it. 

46 minutes ago, Makara said:

All I know is that they were traveling to Thailand for a month on vacation and the woman I know has traveled to other countries. I do not know more but can easily find out details. I understand everyones speculation and why. I am not saying that they are innocent or guilty to what is happening. Only they can prove their defense. I feel that painting a picture of them being some deer in the woods duo is unfair however. And speculating about them because of their appearance is also not fair. What is fact is it is not a scam and they are truly in trouble for what they did. Like I said before I don't agree with what they did, and how they handled it, but I do care about the outcome. I can say for certain is the woman I know is not a criminal minded person. she does not have a criminal mentality in my opinion. I am sure the answer to why they took the money from Cambodia to Thailand will be answered in a hearing, one hopes. I don't have that answer for you right now.

"and they are truly in trouble for what they did. "

How's that? local enquiries indicate that this matter has never been reported to the Thai police and they are not being held by any Thai authority.

So:

- Why do they need all this money for legal fees?

- Why don't they just quickly get a flight out while they are free?

- Do they already have flight tickets to exit Thailand?

Or is this another case of tourists going to another country with very little funds which run out quickly so just follow the current 'trend' and ask innocent naive people for money.

I want to be clear, nobody from this situation asked me to come on here. I did this on my own, after much concern on reading this thread. I came here to talk to all of you from my understanding. I still also have questions. I did not come on here to talk for them. I want to be a bridge however anyway I can though. 

5 minutes ago, Makara said:

Yes Brandon said it was spirit money. I am wondering and asking if it was spirit money or counterfeit they found. No I don't know more than him as he is one of the girls boyfriends. I also feel if it was spirit money you would know, right? I mean I understand it was wet and in the mud and then dried but that was one of my original questions i had. I think thieves is a harsher statement than what I would use. They didn't steal it, they found it on a remote road. However they didn't do due diligence in returning whatever they found properly. I can agree with that. 

Spirit money IS counterfeit money .

Cambodians put money onto deceased peoples graves and instead of using real money they put fake money there to stop people from stealing it .

People would steal any real money , but they wouldnt bother to steal fake money , because they know that is illegal and they will get in trouble if they try to spend it .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"and they are truly in trouble for what they did. "

How's that? local enquiries indicate that this matter has never been reported to the Thai police and they are not being held by any Thai authority.

So:

- Why do they need all this money for legal fees?

- Why don't they just quickly get a flight out while they are free?

- Do they already have flight tickets to exit Thailand?

Or is this another case of tourists going to another country with very little funds which run out quickly so just follow the current 'trend' and ask innocent naive people for money.

Is there proof that they have not been arrested? I am curious if this can be public knowledge. They can't leave Thailand is my understanding, and their passports have been held. 

3 minutes ago, Makara said:

Does it matter where they found it? What are you thinking? Remote road is worse as more likely it came from a poorer person "on a bike" as you suggested.

They stole it! That's if it's counterfeit.

If spirit money, they are definitely criminals.

If you do have a line to them, perhaps you can let them know that a local SIM card costs between US$0.60 and US$1.55. No need to depend on "limited WiFi".

12 hours ago, yogavnture said:

who would they return it too?  

Hey, all these questions you ask, the debate, it's all been gone over and over and over in the comments. Take some time to at least skim thru them. You'll find answers to all your questions. It's all there.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Makara said:

'...will be answered in a hearing...'

What hearing?

Many comments indicate clearly that this matter has never been reported to the police or the US embassy.

So please share what you know about the 'hearing'; where, when, what Thai or US govt., agencies involved. Perhaps the very very polite man brandon can provide this information.

• Like 1