Etiquette Training For Immigration Officers At Suvarnabhumi Airport

george

Etiquette training for immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi Airport

BANGKOK: -- Some 1,200 immigration officers at Bangkok's Suvanarbhumi International Airport will take a training course on personality development following complaints from foreign visitors to the Immigration Bureau that they were always frowning and unfriendly, according to a senior Immigration Bureau official.

National Airport Immigration Division Commissioner, Pol. Maj-Gen. Chakthip Chaijinda Monday signed a cooperation agreement with Suan Dusit Rajabhat University on a behavioural modification training course.

Under the terms of the agreement, Gen. Chakthip said, Suan Dusit Rajabhat University will prepare a personality development training course for immigration officers called the "Sawasdee Project."

The project was initiated after about 30 per cent of visitors at Suvarnabhumi complained that immigration officers at the airport did their duty without smiling and looked unfriendly. Moreover, both arriving and departing passengers complained about the slow immigration documentation procedures, Gen. Chakthip said.

With the cooperation with Suan Dusit Rajabhat University, immigration officers will be trained to use Thai traditional culture to treat visitors, including the Thai traditional ways of greetings -- the wai, greeting visitors with the word "Sawasdee" and saying thank you after the procedure is completed.

After the training, he hoped, the visitors would be impressed with the new look of the officials and it can eventually create a good image and positive attitudes among foreign visitors.

However, Gen. Chakthip, stressed that the officers would strictly carry out their duties in immigration procedure.

He added the the Immigration Bureau planned to expand the "Sawasdee Project" to include Thailand's international airports in Chiang Mai, Phuket, Koh Samui, and Surat Thani province, as well as Hat Yai in Songkhla province, and expected the project would satisfy the visitors.

--TNA 2007-01-22

One useful tip on etiquette might be for Immigration officers when having finished processing the documents of outgoing or incoming foreigners not to toss the passport rudely back while looking sideways at nothing in particular.It's a variation on the old British Rail booking clerk attitude, now thankfully gone.Basis is as follows, "I'm basically a rather poorly educated minor functionary but I have the capacity to make life awkward for you for the next few minutes."What's the Thai for "jobsworth", I wonder?

At Suvanabhumpi I have been through customs staff twice (in and out) and I have to say departing staff were cold and efficient, whereas arrival staff were positively welcoming.....

QUOTE: Arrival: Female: 'Enjoy your stay in Thailand'.

QUOTE: Arrival: 10 days ago approx: Male: ' You have three months there (he meant stamped in my passport), enjoy your stay'.

I suppose it is luck of the draw: However I have mentioned in an earlier post, that I discovered an unused arrival customs point, hidden away, just a bit further along, which has now been signposted 'immigration'.

Most people follow one another like sheep and arrive at the first set of immigration queues, whilst I walk an extra 50 yards and arrive at a deserted immigration point hidden from view.

Moreover, both arriving and departing passengers complained about the slow immigration documentation procedures, Gen. Chakthip said.

and from airport opening post:

“Immigration procedures at Suvarnabhumi are very fast. It takes only 20 seconds for the average passenger. It will be even faster when we finish installing the fingerprint identification units,” said Police Lieutenant General Suwat Tumrongsriskul, Immigration Bureau Commissioner, who inspected the new airport Thursday during its first day of full commercial service.

taking a smidgen longer than 20 seconds per passenger, are we? :D

btw... from that September 28th thread:

The Immigration Bureau plans to install fingerprint identification equipment at Suvarnabhumi Airport within the next two months.

Those fingerprint scanners have been operational since November 28, right? :o

I have found it slower at the new airport than Don Muang - both ways in and out.

Not much to complain about though but I will say this - why can I not get a multilple entry business visa as quite a senior guy covering the region in a close by country but if I want to bend the rules I can get a non-imm O in my home country.

I do not think this comes as a surprise to a huge amount of us. What is being said is a good step in the right direction and hopefully someone senior within the Thai Immigration Bureau will soon realise that the reported problems and unfriendliness do not just stop at Bangkok airport but have been experienced by huge numbers of Visa seekers reporting to MANY different Immigration Offices in Thailand. You only need to look at the large number of negative comments on the ThaiVisa Forum and other Thai Visitor/Expat Forums regarding this subject. Hopefully the course will be extended country wide AND outside airports.

Immigration (be it at Airports or borders or in Offices are the FIRST contacts most visitors have with Thailand and its people. It is extremely important that Thailand shows in its "First Contact' it is a country of courteous and friendly people (as is Thailand's reputation LOL). The same applies for visitors to Thailand's internal Immigration Offices.

Courtesy, friendliness, a smile and respect cost NOTHING but they help a lot.

Of course Immigration need to be strict and thorough, but that does NOT mean basic courtesy, friendliness and helpfulness need to “go out the window”. We all know the immigration Officers are very busy, BUT how many of us have worked with the public under pressure TOO, but STILL have shown a friendly face when dealing with the public in our jobs. How many of our bosses (present or past) would allow us to do anything else and keep out jobs (especially in the private sector)

I see no excuse for rudeness or abruptness by ANYONE (that does not just apply to Immigration Officers but to everybody as well), unless first confronted with it (then maybe there is some justification).

In case you feel I am being unfair I will give an example. Last September my Thai wife and I visited an Immigration Bureau Office to change/extent my Visa to a Retirement Visa. We were told to take a number and we would be dealt with in turn.

The person before us left the Interview room and my wife and I entered. We both said "sawadee Kap/Ka" and sat down in front of the Immigration officer. He looked up and in a cold unsmiling and abrupt voice said and I quote EXACTLY

"I did not invite you to come in, GET OUT(raised voice) and sit outside until I call you".

We apologised for our error and "crawled" out of his office.

The waiting queue outside heard all this and were open mouthed and sympathetic to us as we emerged from his office. We were informed by some of them that others have experienced similar in the past at that office, especially from that officer.

There is NO EXCUSE. If ANYBODY thinks ANY human being deserves to be treated and spoken to like that then I hope I never meet them. A person would have to have the insensitively of a brick wall, not to feel intimidated, humiliated and like a piece of shit being addressed in that manner.

Thankfully, I find the VAST majority of Thai people very pleasant and friendly.

Regards, Dave

Edited by gdhm

My Thai wife gets hassled every time we leave LOS. Last time the said they were not going to let her leave until I explained to them that she no longer lived in thailand.

She came home and got her U.S. citizenship just so she could get a U.S. passport . She really wants to tell the Thai immagration to kiss her Arse! on her way out of course. :o

side story

I was in immagration line on the way out, when this Brit in front of me finished. He bent over to pick up his breif case and farted right at the Immagration officer. (I had to bite my tongue so I did not laugh in front of him.) He yelled something in thai which I did not understand. Once we got through the line I asked my wife what did the guy say. She said "God dam farang farted in my face, don't come back to Thailand." :D:D

PKG

We may see a few crack in the face of some of the immigration officer in the next few months, some of them did not smile for a long time so ..... :D

Maybe they can also refrain them to take tea money when we go for a extension, last time I was there the guy said to me "it's 1920 Baht" while giving me the receipt saying 1900 Baht. For those of you who may ask what I do at this moment, I shut my mouth and paid 1920 Baht to avoid problem. :D

I must give the first prize to the US immigration officer for the most rude I encounter in all my trip over the world. I can not beleve how much crap I have to swallow just to get a connecting flight in US and I don't even stay there. :o

I was once on my way back from Singapore to bangkok .. the immigration area at Singapore Airport wasn't particularly crowded that evening; the immigration officer stamped my passport .. asked me a couple of questions and then started discussing politics with me .. this was around the time of the coup in bangkok.. he started asking me my opinion on taksin's govt etc... The normal tendency of speeding away from the Immigration almost took me a couple of steps away when he started the discussion..

Though discussing politics does not appeal to a lot of us, it definitely made me more comfortable and relaxed.. ... As compared to that , the "tossing" of the passport here in Thailand (and many more countries..) is the most unwelcoming sign you can get .. Someone should remind them that they are the first locals that a foreigner interacts with and their actions are not forgotten soon...

NAMKHAENG - you will like this on JFK Airport , http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Air...forum/jfk-2.htm

In any case, its a good step to teach them etiquette (I hope they don't include the word "Etiquette" in title the Training session ... You will get to hear a few arai-naas then .. :o )

Edited by psychosid10

amazing thailand

Remember the good old days at DM

I hardly can remember a single unpleasant moment with the old immigration lot. quite often a laugh and a joke (at my awful thai), and always seemed efficient, sometimes overloaded when too many planes arrived at once, but nothing upsetting

oh dear whatever happened to the likely lads

amazing thailand

I hardly can remember a single unpleasant moment with the old immigration lot. quite often a laugh and a joke (at my awful thai), and always seemed efficient, sometimes overloaded when too many planes arrived at once, but nothing upsetting

They all got farted on by old brits

amazing thailand

TV Punchline of the Day

:o

:D :D

yer killin' me, Tony.... :D

:D

I was once on my way back from Singapore to bangkok .. the immigration area at Singapore Airport wasn't particularly crowded that evening; the immigration officer stamped my passport .. asked me a couple of questions and then started discussing politics with me .. this was around the time of the coup in bangkok.. he started asking me my opinion on taksin's govt etc... The normal tendency of speeding away from the Immigration almost took me a couple of steps away when he started the discussion..

Though discussing politics does not appeal to a lot of us, it definitely made me more comfortable and relaxed.. ... As compared to that , the "tossing" of the passport here in Thailand (and many more countries..) is the most unwelcoming sign you can get .. Someone should remind them that they are the first locals that a foreigner interacts with and their actions are not forgotten soon...

NAMKHAENG - you will like this on JFK Airport , http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Air...forum/jfk-2.htm

In any case, its a good step to teach them etiquette (I hope they don't include the word "Etiquette" in title the Training session ... You will get to hear a few arai-naas then .. :o )

You should have asked the immigration officer what was his thought about Temasek investment in Thailand and watch his face ...

I do think the US immigration officers need this training more than the Thais.

Maybe someday in Thailand, when we are stamped in, our hearts will be warmed as the fine officer who cares about our total well being, asks us: YOU WANT MASSAGE?

Followed by the Canadian immigration !!! :o

I think it is a good step, but the rudeness is by no means limited to Thailand...ask anyone who has been through the aliens line in Heathrow or other UK airports, or arriving passengers in Sydney, or as someone mentioned, the USA. Immigration officials are often bad tempered or at least arrogant and rude. Thailand is no exception. I have also seen this at Hong Kong and Macau, and best not to even mention China borders.

Edited by Greer

amazing thailand

TV Punchline of the Day

:D

:D :D

yer killin' me, Tony.... :D

:bah:

The Devil made me do it!!!!!! fairdinkum :o

My (thai)GF got also harrased by them on our way for weekend in Singapore. "Are you with that farang, are you sure you should go with him..?"

I have almost no complaints about immigration personally. Actually they are the only people in common service jobs here I can ever remember hearing saying "Sorry" for their mistakes. It seems admittance of once fault is very problematic in this culture in general.

Interesting reading about the Thai gf's being questioned upon leaving the country. I've left the US plenty of times and have never once been questioned about it. I don't understand why Thailand would care if their own nationals left Thailand. My Thai gf and I went to Malaysia a couple months ago and they actually stamped her passport as departing Thailand. I wondered why. One should never have a stamp from their own country in their passport. It makes no sense.

Can anybody explain why the Thai immigration cares why these Thai girls leave the country or why they bother stamping their passports for departing?

Thanks

Interesting reading about the Thai gf's being questioned upon leaving the country. I've left the US plenty of times and have never once been questioned about it. I don't understand why Thailand would care if their own nationals left Thailand. My Thai gf and I went to Malaysia a couple months ago and they actually stamped her passport as departing Thailand. I wondered why. One should never have a stamp from their own country in their passport. It makes no sense.

Can anybody explain why the Thai immigration cares why these Thai girls leave the country or why they bother stamping their passports for departing?

Thanks

Dunno about Thai's leaving Thailand but in Australia it seems to be a bit hit and miss - sometimes I get a 'departed australia' stamp in my passport (I have an aussie passport), other times none. So it seems that it depends on the individual immigration officer that 'stamps' you out of the country.... :o

One useful tip on etiquette might be for Immigration officers when having finished processing the documents of outgoing or incoming foreigners not to toss the passport rudely back while looking sideways at nothing in particular.It's a variation on the old British Rail booking clerk attitude, now thankfully gone.Basis is as follows, "I'm basically a rather poorly educated minor functionary but I have the capacity to make life awkward for you for the next few minutes."What's the Thai for "jobsworth", I wonder?
Dont take this behaviour personal,

it's just selfdefence, you have no idea what it means to deal with fellowbeings day- to- day by thousands... :o

Wai-ing like a Lotus- cashier?? Please, exempt me from this!

Thanks

Come again?? what is the problem?