Arsenal

MiG16

So, is Arsenal's current model due to Wenger alone or the entire management/stock holders ?

Its down to the chairman I think.....at least you are not in cloud cuckoo land like some other clubs. The North London clubs are on the most sound financial footing in the Premiership right now.

Its about the only thing to admire about your poxy club though. biggrin.png

So, is Arsenal's current model due to Wenger alone or the entire management/stock holders ?

Its down to the chairman I think.....at least you are not in cloud cuckoo land like some other clubs. The North London clubs are on the most sound financial footing in the Premiership right now.

Most people admire the Emirates as a wonderful modern facility too. I can't deny the Library accusations - that's yer coffee-set fans, not the ground, but I think the whole place is sensational.

WHL is a good example of the older style blood and thunder ground though - I was going to say better than Anfield as a whole, but that would be unfair since all my experiences are based on 2 visits to each in the 80s and I'd get eaten for breakfast by that sensitive lot on the Mersey! [The Kop of course was untouchable as a single stand]

Most people admire the Emirates as a wonderful modern facility too. I can't deny the Library accusations - that's yer coffee-set fans, not the ground, but I think the whole place is sensational.

WHL is a good example of the older style blood and thunder ground though - I was going to say better than Anfield as a whole, but that would be unfair since all my experiences are based on 2 visits to each in the 80s and I'd get eaten for breakfast by that sensitive lot on the Mersey! [The Kop of course was untouchable as a single stand]

The Kop can be very quiet at times too, unless they are singing that opera song that they all like to hold hands and sing along too.

atmosphere at anfield can be terrible these days. loads of arl <deleted> who have had season tickets for years who do nothing but moan and the kids who make all the noise are priced out of it now. that said on a big european night there's nowhere better.

"EXCLUSIVE: Arsenal hopeful captain Van Persie will do 'a Rooney' and stay

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz20bdTyezg"

Straws, clutching for the use of?

Coincidentally I did catch myself musing earlier today before seeing this that there is a curious absence of fervent reported bidding and that maybe vanP could be changing his his agent's mind if he doesnt get the love-assault from the market that he might have expected. Can't see him settling for anything less than England or Spain, which means it has to be somewhere notoriously rainy!

Edited by SantiSuk

• 2 weeks later...

"Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong charged over tweet

Frimpong is alleged to have posted a comment on his official Twitter account on 15 July which read "if you going church today Pray For me Giving today A Miss".

A Tottenham fan responded with "I prayed you break your arms and legs", which Frimpong retweeted and then allegedly replied with a derogatory term. Frimpong quickly removed the tweet, but it sparked a debate on the social networking site among supporters of both clubs and did not escape the FA's attention."

[bBC Sport]

When will managers put a no tweeting/blogging clause in players contracts. Look like Arsenal need it at least - last month it was another injured boy (Jack Wilshere) having too much time on his hands and joking about having a bet on an Arsenal game. Doooh!!

As predicted here, Jack Wilshere now cant start until October. Whats the betting that the next announcement (about September) says his career is finished.

Mr half empty

Kantharalak

The Arsenal rumour threads are insisting today that Wenger has confirmed that Chu-Young Park, Squillaci and Niklas Bendtner have deals to transfer them away from Arsenal. That's good news if true as it reduces the squad numbers and allows for the possibilities of a couple more signings. We desperately need to boost the midfield - Wilshere out until October and apparently Rosicky may take that long also. Rumour mill suggests that the following are close to fruition:

Santi Cazorla, a midfield star (so it says) from financially strapped Malaga for 18m euro. Malaga risk being thrown out of La Liga 1 and the CL if they don't come up with money they havn't got in the next week. Cazorla has reportedly already agreed terms.

M'Baye Niang, a 17 year old French striker from demoted Caen for 8m (pounds or euros? too lazy to hunt back for the report), said to be an exciting young talent. Hope he can play football too - can't quite figure why, but that one has the Wenger imprimatur feel about it! (that means the Wenger mark of approval for you Mancs). If we get him I hope he is French born and not another want-away for two months every January.

Wasn't Chu-Young Park another great hope this time last season, ex Korean captain and all that. Can't recall seeing him play, but I think he got a couple of subs in a Milk Cup or something like that! Oh well, another one that got away (or rather few million that got away - think it might have been only a couple of big ones presumably down the plug hole).

Rumour mill suggests that Wenger is thinking of giving the little Russian one last chance. I seem to recall us being in that same last chance saloon with him this time last year.

, I thought over the whole of the season, excluding rvp, Song was your stand out player

Losing him would be blow http://www.talksport...dfielder-177674

Yes it would be a blow Rijiit and I cant think Wenger would sell one of the best DFM players in the EPL for 12m. Midfield is where we are short and Rosicky is out until October so that Arteta will be needed further forward than normal. Frimpong is the only other genuine defensive midfielder and is not quite ready to step up to the starting 11.

Actually Song wasn't my quite my no 2 player last year (he got caught with the ball under his feet a bit last year and took a few too many cards) but he was my No 1 year before (equal with Fab). No 2 last year was Rosicky for me, No 3 Koscialny, no 4 Song. Song is a strong very likeable personality - part of the spirit of the current Arsenal set-up, so I hope Wenger can for once negotiate a contract extension without letting it run into 'Fabrepersie time'.

I see that the Arsenal Cazorla deal may fail at the last gasp because Malaga are being eyed up by a new owner - an Albanian oil magnate. Nice to see that the world football authorities apply fit and proper person rules so thoroughly. Next well be getting Columbian rural pharmaceutical farmer magnates!

I see that the Arsenal Cazorla deal may fail at the last gasp because Malaga are being eyed up by a new owner - an Albanian oil magnate. Nice to see that the world football authorities apply fit and proper person rules so thoroughly. Next well be getting Columbian rural pharmaceutical farmer magnates!

I think we already have them in the South American Leagues and a few Russians are well connected with them also....Chelsea are very fortunate. tongue.png

, I thought over the whole of the season, excluding rvp, Song was your stand out player

Losing him would be blow http://www.talksport...dfielder-177674

Yes it would be a blow Rijiit and I cant think Wenger would sell one of the best DFM players in the EPL for 12m. Midfield is where we are short and Rosicky is out until October so that Arteta will be needed further forward than normal. Frimpong is the only other genuine defensive midfielder and is not quite ready to step up to the starting 11.

Actually Song wasn't my quite my no 2 player last year (he got caught with the ball under his feet a bit last year and took a few too many cards) but he was my No 1 year before (equal with Fab). No 2 last year was Rosicky for me, No 3 Koscialny, no 4 Song. Song is a strong very likeable personality - part of the spirit of the current Arsenal set-up, so I hope Wenger can for once negotiate a contract extension without letting it run into 'Fabrepersie time'.

Yeah I know what you mean leg's 11 comes to mind a little with song but as for cards,ide almost be more concerned if a defensive middie wasnt getting them, but 12 assists Thats really really good going 4 a primarily defensive midfielder, as for rosisky, agreed he ended the season v v well and better than song, but for me song performed consistently for the whole of the season. But hey ho.

Reports are that the Cazorla deal will be completed after all at 18m quid ish. If I was a Manc id be waxing lyrical, but truth is I can't recall having seen him play, so I'll reserve judgement.

It will be a major plus if the other rumour is true - that Man U, Man C nor Juve are coming up with the personal or club cash, and that vanP has been impressed by Wenger's activities over the summer window so that he is liklely to be motivated if he stays (for at least) one season. 3 players at a combined 40 million ish - most unusual for Arsenal and the Cazorla deal would break our transfer record (though mention of the prior holder - Arshavin at 15m shows that big fees are not necessarily the path to glory).

I'm not counting any chickens in any of this, but fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Reports are that the Cazorla deal will be completed after all at 18m quid ish. If I was a Manc id be waxing lyrical, but truth is I can't recall having seen him play, so I'll reserve judgement.

It will be a major plus if the other rumour is true - that Man U, Man C nor Juve are coming up with the personal or club cash, and that vanP has been impressed by Wenger's activities over the summer window so that he is liklely to be motivated if he stays (for at least) one season. 3 players at a combined 40 million ish - most unusual for Arsenal and the Cazorla deal would break our transfer record (though mention of the prior holder - Arshavin at 15m shows that big fees are not necessarily the path to glory).

I'm not counting any chickens in any of this, but fingers crossed.

Today Cazorla confirmed, is travelling with the team to Cologne. Can't wait for the new-look Arsenal.

Oh and BTW I think that VP is regretting his decision, it has backfired massively and believe most of the fans would like him to leave.

Sad really.

Yermaneewai.gif

He flies to Germany for the friendly against Cologne (presumably playing). For now hes still a Gunner. I doubt he would do a volte face and issue an apology - he is Dutch after all! All he has to do to get back in with the fans is blame and sack his agent! Who knows what the real story is, but for now we seem to at least have the ingredients for making a decent fist of the EPL whatever happens.

Wenger still looking at Sahin (Real) as a replacement for Song, who again reportedly (Guardian now) has had his head turned by interest from Barca and others. I thought that one was just invented press speculation, but it seems to have legs. A bit of a merry-go-round at the Emirates with RvP's little pal, Walcott, still not commiting to the club.

It'll be a wonder if Wenger can put together a team that looks like it wants to play together for the first month of the season. Is Wenger still a master chef? All this continued insurrection in the ranks must be hugely distracting.

He flies to Germany for the friendly against Cologne (presumably playing). For now hes still a Gunner. I doubt he would do a volte face and issue an apology - he is Dutch after all! All he has to do to get back in with the fans is blame and sack his agent! Who knows what the real story is, but for now we seem to at least have the ingredients for making a decent fist of the EPL whatever happens.

Wenger still looking at Sahin (Real) as a replacement for Song, who again reportedly (Guardian now) has had his head turned by interest from Barca and others. I thought that one was just invented press speculation, but it seems to have legs. A bit of a merry-go-round at the Emirates with RvP's little pal, Walcott, still not commiting to the club.

It'll be a wonder if Wenger can put together a team that looks like it wants to play together for the first month of the season. Is Wenger still a master chef? All this continued insurrection in the ranks must be hugely distracting.

Its all looking rather good for Arsenal at the moment with some very good players coming in.

Down side is obviously the Wilshire injury situation and for yet another season Wenger has neglected his defense. This leads to the obvious conclusion that once again Arsenal will score freely, play some lovely football and win nothing.

How ironic that Spurs seem to be going into the new season with a well stocked defense and a pitiful lone striker in jermaine Defoe!

Agree with that analysis of Arsenal's prospects - Wenger seems to be incapable of putting a good defense together and then he expects us to watch his frustration antics and listen to his whining when they go giving goals and games away.

Sagna still out and Song maybe wants away - we cannot afford more than a couple of injuries at the rear (and when did an EPL front-running team not have a couple of injuries at the back within a couple of months of the season starting?). Mertesacker and Diaby doth not a solid back-up plan for injuries make.

Agree with that analysis of Arsenal's prospects - Wenger seems to be incapable of putting a good defense together and then he expects us to watch his frustration antics and listen to his whining when they go giving goals and games away.

Sagna still out and Song maybe wants away - we cannot afford more than a couple of injuries at the rear (and when did an EPL front-running team not have a couple of injuries at the back within a couple of months of the season starting?). Mertesacker and Diaby doth not a solid back-up plan for injuries make.

Sagna was exceptional last season. But yes, no cover again and it cannot be said he didn't have the money to spend because he has. He's just not interested in buying defenders.

Whilst i admire Wengers contribution to football i wonder how good his record would stand if he hadn't inherited such a superb back five to kick off his Arsenal career.

You could strike off one league title immediately because theres no way a Wenger created defense would concede so few goals as Seaman and that back four

Sagna was exceptional last season. But yes, no cover again and it cannot be said he didn't have the money to spend because he has. He's just not interested in buying defenders.

Whilst i admire Wengers contribution to football i wonder how good his record would stand if he hadn't inherited such a superb back five to kick off his Arsenal career.

You could strike off one league title immediately because theres no way a Wenger created defense would concede so few goals as Seaman and that back four

He's interested when they only cost 1 million (Jenkinson)! To be fair - he did spend out on defenders last summer - Jenkinson, Mertesacker (needs to prove his 10 million fee - no pace nor brains last season) and Santos (looks promising, but probably as a midfielder, which means elsewhere) for 6 million.

I agree Carmine - Wenger rode into fame on George Graham's massive contribution to the art of defending (but Viera, who extended the life of that defence, is down to AW). George Graham, now there's a manager who never got fully appreciated in the history books having later foundered at Elland Road and WHL.

Have any Gunners out there spotted who was on the plane to Cologne. Should give us a clue for the opening line-up next Saturday at home to Sunderland.

Edited by SantiSuk

Few pictures here santisuk:

http://www.arsenal.c...picture-special

Yes - thanks - I had just clocked those. A big squad has gone, so not much one can deduce about AWs likely starting 11.

Nearly all the pictures by Arsenal's official photographers are of midfielders and forwards. Only Djouro (hasn't he gone yet?), Gibbs and Santos from the back half attracted the camera lens amongst 25 close up snaps. Clearly the anti-defence theme runs deep at the Emirates! I can't identify one pic - black guy with a tash - might be Kyle Bartley, 21 yo central defender, newly promoted to squad, having played for the Gers last season on loan - one to look out for in the early stages of the Milk Cup

Good to see in training together - Song, vanP, Giroud, Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla, Diaby, AOC. No sign of Theo, Gervinho, Mertesacker, Arteta, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Czesney. probably there but not in close-up photos.

Too busy negotiating their packages (with who is a mystery) to fly to Cologne (but still officially in the squad) - Bendtner, Squlliaci, Park-Young

Shut the door behind you will yer? Chamakh and Arshavin are there on their fifth and final last chances! How is Wenger managing to keep within the EPL's sqaud limits (other than by having quite a few sub 22 yos.)? Denillson continues out on loan (yawn)

Curious quote by AW about Podolski's left-footed skills on the Arsenal web-site implies that he might play the German on the right (odd since Germany and FCC played him effectively as inside left). Maybe a Theo sale has been actively on the cards for some time. Think I'll trip over to the Anfield mob's thread and suggest a straight swop for Agger - that'll wind em up :-). It would suit me

Still a lot of news to break I suspect before kick-off next Saturday.