Arsenal

MiG16

Something to smile about in a joyless evening - a Lewandowski-like goal from Ollie and off goes Lewandowski!

1-1 at Olympiacos

Still 1-1 in the 89th minute. Hope we can forget being hammered!

Ah sheet! 2-1. Bad night. Aim for 4th - can't see us qualifying with a 4 goal differential against us.

Edited by SantiSuk

So - since Olympiakos have beaten us once we can only get through on the basis of goal differential between us and them (with GD in the group being important if we are equal on GD between the two of us). GD between us and Olypiacos is currently a differential of only 1 in their favour - they won 3-2 at the Emirates. So if we are to qualify we must:

1. Hope that Bayern beat Olympiacos (and preferably handsomely*), and
  2. Beat Dynamo at home (and preferably handsomely if Munich don't pan Olympiacos*), and
  3. Beat Olympiacos in Piraeus - by 2 will do it, but 1 will do if we have established inroads into our current group-wide GD of 4 (in their favour); the fact that every goal doubles up in GD terms when when playing your direct competitor might ultimately help ease that pain

* the handsomely bit is in case we beat Olympiacos but only by 1 goal.

I guess the strategy has to be to go for it in the home game with Zagreb, hoping to rack up at least a GD of 2. Same night we will know whether the last game is worth playing hard. If Olympiacos pick up a point in Munich (or is it home to Munich - have not looked) then it's good night Irene for us.

If we beat Zagreb by 2 and Olympiacos only narrowly lose by 1 to Munich, then we only have to win by 1 goal in Piraeus. If we cannot beat Olympiacos at home by 2 then we don't deserve it anyway.

Still a distinct possibiity that we can do this, provided Munich don't take the foot off the gas. I put the odds at about 40%. Given that Munich seem unlikely to throw any game the rest is within our own hands, but that Piraeus game would be one hell of a night. Hopefully a better defence and midfield will be available to us by then.

Unfortunately going for it against Dynamo means we are potentially doomed to third place and the Eurodribble Spursday Cup. No way of rescuing that with a thrown last game unless a conquering BM decide to throw their last game against Zagreb.

Last night reflected back on Wenger's appalling summer. Coq is knackered and it's criminal no support was bought in Summer for DMF - yes I know Cazorla can beef that area when there are enough midfielders available and injured Jack can play there too - but a really big team does not rely on having only a few injuries, a couple of has-beens or others stepping up out of position!

We can't complain too much about injuries - we essentially only have 3 of the first 11 injured (3.5 counting Theo's rotational contribution). Normal at this time of season for a top Prem club. Pity that 2 of them were from the back 4 when playing Bayern away though!

Edited by SantiSuk

So - since Olympiakos have beaten us once we can only get through on the basis of goal differential between us and them (with GD in the group being important if we are equal on GD between the two of us). GD between us and Olypiacos is currently a differential of only 1 in their favour - they won 3-2 at the Emirates. So if we are to qualify we must:

1. Hope that Bayern beat Olympiacos (and preferably handsomely*), and
  2. Beat Dynamo at home (and preferably handsomely if Munich don't pan Olympiacos*), and
  3. Beat Olympiacos in Piraeus - by 2 will do it, but 1 will do if we have established inroads into our current group-wide GD of 4 (in their favour); the fact that every goal doubles up in GD terms when when playing your direct competitor might ultimately help ease that pain

* the handsomely bit is in case we beat Olympiacos but only by 1 goal.

I guess the strategy has to be to go for it in the home game with Zagreb, hoping to rack up at least a GD of 2. Same night we will know whether the last game is worth playing hard. If Olympiacos pick up a point in Munich (or is it home to Munich - have not looked) then it's good night Irene for us.

If we beat Zagreb by 2 and Olympiacos only narrowly lose by 1 to Munich, then we only have to win by 1 goal in Piraeus. If we cannot beat Olympiacos at home by 2 then we don't deserve it anyway.

Still a distinct possibiity that we can do this, provided Munich don't take the foot off the gas. I put the odds at about 40%. Given that Munich seem unlikely to throw any game the rest is within our own hands, but that Piraeus game would be one hell of a night. Hopefully a better defence and midfield will be available to us by then.

Unfortunately going for it against Dynamo means we are potentially doomed to third place and the Eurodribble Spursday Cup. No way of rescuing that with a thrown last game unless a conquering BM decide to throw their last game against Zagreb.

Last night reflected back on Wenger's appalling summer. Coq is knackered and it's criminal no support was bought in Summer for DMF - yes I know Cazorla can beef that area when there are enough midfielders available and injured Jack can play there too - but a really big team does not rely on having only a few injuries, a couple of has-beens or others stepping up out of position!

We can't complain too much about injuries - we essentially only have 3 of the first 11 injured (3.5 counting Theo's rotational contribution). Normal at this time of season for a top Prem club. Pity that 2 of them were from the back 4 when playing Bayern away though!

I think you are a bit confused with the rules mate.

Head to heads take priorities. Therefore to simplify it............. you have to beat Zagreb by 1-0 or by 2 goals AND you have to beat Olympiakos (AT Olympiakos not at home) by 2 clear goals or 4-3.

And obviously hope that Bayern win their games.

Bookies make it 7/2 that you go through. Only the foolish would take those odds.

• Like 1

There's also the chance that Bayern v Olympiacos could conveniently play for a draw in their

next upcoming match and conveniently put both themselves through, just saying. biggrin.png

Then we should conveniently field the same youngsters that played against Sheffield Wednesday.

wink.png

Don't know why your so concerned about going through facepalm.gif if you did get through you'd only go out at the last 16 like always anyhow gigglem.gif

Question of pride mate, but then I guess you guys wouldn't know much about running with a long history in the CLsmile.png

[Actually to be honest:

'Do I look bothered'? Apparently yes, but in truth I'd be quite happy to see us out and the other 3 Prem competitors (eventually in the case of Chelsea) wrapped up in further games]

Don't know why your so concerned about going through facepalm.gif if you did get through you'd only go out at the last 16 like always anyhow gigglem.gif

Question of pride mate, but then I guess you guys wouldn't know much about running with a long history in the CLsmile.png

[Actually to be honest:

'Do I look bothered'? Apparently yes, but in truth I'd be quite happy to see us out and the other 3 Prem competitors (eventually in the case of Chelsea) wrapped up in further games]

Yes we wouldn't know about that being the last London side to make the QF's.

Jog on ya chumps!

• Like 1

[Actually to be honest:

Yes we wouldn't know about that being the last London side to make the QF's.

Jog on ya chumps!

Hold on. Is this you talking about your clubs Champions League record?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Alfie's not much good at footballing tactics or business deals if he thinks BM is going to agree to draw their next match.

Hint, Alfie: BM and Olympiacos are on the same points presently. Think that the German’s are gonna trust Greeks in a gentleman’s agreement over who gets first spot?

• Like 1

Alfie's not much good at footballing tactics or business deals if he thinks BM is going to agree to draw their next match.

Hint, Alfie: BM and Olympiacos are on the same points presently. Think that the German’s are gonna trust Greeks in a gentleman’s agreement over who gets first spot?

I'd no idea Angela Merkel is a football fan!

Where have i mentioned about anyone drawing a match facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I presume after that slack jawed limp waisted outing earlier in the week you'll be playing for the draw tomorrow?

Awww getting all excited because you eased past one of the best teams in, er, Belgium in the Spursday Vase?

You of all people should know that we don't know how to play for a draw.

biggrin.png

I presume after that slack jawed limp waisted outing earlier in the week you'll be playing for the draw tomorrow?

Awww getting all excited because you eased past one of the best teams in, er, Belgium in the Spursday Vase?

biggrin.png

Do you know if Kochelney is playing?

biggrin.png

Do you know if Kochelney is playing?

Fitness test today apparently.

sorry.gif Sorry Alfie - mistaken identity. T'was Sotsira that floated the German/Greek conspiracy theory.

sorry.gif Sorry J&D - yes I realised myself the mistaken interpretation of the "who-goes-thru" (on a points tie) as soon as I had posted it, which is why the edited thread does not read the same as the version you commented on. Actually makes it marginally easier for us to qualify on a head-to-head. Balance of odds still against us but certainly not out of the question. Thirteen years of progressing thru to the head-to-heads will stick as a UK record for at least another decade nonetheless, even if we don't make it 14.

Might as well offer congrats to Spurs now. All over us and nothing left in the Arsenal tank!

Edit: my God, an equaliser. Hang on of for a face-saving draw?

Edited by SantiSuk