Arsenal

MiG16

<deleted> at no heart

Just won nil 4 against Malaysia. Yes it's a friendly

But remember last time arsenal were in Asia, we lost 2 nil against Thailand :P

I have full faith in the team. As ever.

Yes a few gaps here and there......

It'll be a hell of a gap in midfield without Fabregas and Nasri.

Villa reckon on buying Shay Given for £3.5 million. Sounds like the bargain of the transfer window unless he has completely lost it on Man City's bench.

Why on earth is Wenger not after him? Don't tell me Wenger still believes our inexperienced goalkeepers are approaching the level of class needed for a top 4 EPL side.

Villa reckon on buying Shay Given for £3.5 million. Sounds like the bargain of the transfer window unless he has completely lost it on Man City's bench.

Why on earth is Wenger not after him? Don't tell me Wenger still believes our inexperienced goalkeepers are approaching the level of class needed for a top 4 EPL side.

Looks like you're board prefer to spend it on themselves doesn't it?

What astounds me about WENKER and ARSAL,is that the team is completly void of heart,spirit,ethics,and to top all that no goalkeeper or defense,and u think he is a good manager ????

Btw Samba could be coming and Joey Barton heheheheheheheeh,a slight change of style heheheheheh

Edited by somtampet

he still thinks you can play a match without a goalkeeper if you keep possession of the ball. he's jumped the shark hugely wenger has. used to be a top manager.

Wenger has totally lost the plot in my view but even he knows that City won't sell to a top four rival. I'd be amazed if they did.

My theory is that Wenger is going through some sort of mid life crisis.

First of all you should not forget how successful he was at the beginning bringing 3 Premiership titles and 4 FA cups in his first 9 years and then absolutely nothing in the last 5 years. I call it a mid life crisis because this whole thing about youth development cohesion etc is relatively new.

When Wenger won the Premiership he did it with relatively old teams - aged between 27.1 and 28.1. To give you a feel his first title was won by a team aged 28.1 which is the second oldest team to win the Premiership. In fact all his three wins were achieved amongst the 7 oldest sides.

In contrast he now has a team with an average age of something like 24 while the youngest team to win the Premiership was aged just over 25. But his whole youth culture policy is an experiment that he decided to pursue 5 or 6 years ago and it isnt really bringing results.

It is when you hear some of the concepts that you think it might be going wrong. 'Many of Arsenal's key players joined the club as teenagers and their close relationship will in Wenger's words 'give us strength that other clubs will not have.' You tend to increasingly get the impression they are bored of the sight of one another, bored of not winning trophies and increasingly restless to explore other alternatives. As are some of the fans.

First of all you should not forget how successful he was at the beginning bringing 3 Premiership titles and 4 FA cups in his first 9 years and then absolutely nothing in the last 5 years. I call it a mid life crisis because this whole thing about youth development cohesion etc is relatively new.

When Wenger won the Premiership he did it with relatively old teams - aged between 27.1 and 28.1. To give you a feel his first title was won by a team aged 28.1 which is the second oldest team to win the Premiership. In fact all his three wins were achieved amongst the 7 oldest sides.

In contrast he now has a team with an average age of something like 24 while the youngest team to win the Premiership was aged just over 25. But his whole youth culture policy is an experiment that he decided to pursue 5 or 6 years ago and it isnt really bringing results.

It is when you hear some of the concepts that you think it might be going wrong. 'Many of Arsenal's key players joined the club as teenagers and their close relationship will in Wenger's words 'give us strength that other clubs will not have.' You tend to increasingly get the impression they are bored of the sight of one another, bored of not winning trophies and increasingly restless to explore other alternatives. As are some of the fans.

It pains me enough to admit...but the team he inherited had a beating heart. When that team dissipated he has failed to rediscover the same passion in his side....perhaps with the exception of Vieira at his peak I suppose. Certainly not in recent years I much happier to share with you all both.

It pains me enough to admit...but the team he inherited had a beating heart. When that team dissipated he has failed to rediscover the same passion in his side....perhaps with the exception of Vieira at his peak I suppose. Certainly not in recent years I much happier to share with you all both.

I don't think you'll find any of us Gooners disagreeing with the general tenor of the last few posts. [some of you gave me $hit half way through the season when I was calling for him to be replaced, but we'll just call that the usual interclub rivalry type of response; actually come to think of it, it was mostly the mysteriously disappeared Singh that roasted me].

It was an interesting experiment but if he cannot show by the season open that he gets it (a strong captain appointment, a strong defender and a goalkeeper) then the wolves will tear the flesh off him if we fail to qualify for the EPL - talking about the EPL 2011/12 that is. :annoyed:

I don't think you'll find any of us Gooners disagreeing with the general tenor of the last few posts. [some of you gave me $hit half way through the season when I was calling for him to be replaced, but we'll just call that the usual interclub rivalry type of response; actually come to think of it, it was mostly the mysteriously disappeared Singh that roasted me].

It was an interesting experiment but if he cannot show by the season open that he gets it (a strong captain appointment, a strong defender and a goalkeeper) then the wolves will tear the flesh off him if we fail to qualify for the EPL - talking about the EPL 2011/12 that is. :annoyed:

If we can forget about our club rivalry for a moment i really think its time Wenger fell on his sword.

I think that at this juncture most clubs in the premier league look at Arsenal as vulnerable. Totally agree with your points about capt, defender and keeper. Nasri and fabregas might stay or go but everyone knows they wanted to go either way. Clichy, quality player has gone, I think opposition coaches will be telling their sides to really go at you. All this i blame on his dogmatic personality.

Unless he really pulls the rabbit out of the hant its going to be a very bumpy ride and a very tough early fixture list.

Edited by carmine

Have you noticed he is always in a lousy mood.

Personally I think he should stick it out. He should have the full support of the Board because he has sacrificed cups for debt repayments. He does have the most economically efficient business model so he should be a huge beneficiary of FFP. And as soon as they start allocating costs away fron profits to trophies they will start winning a few. I think a lot of it is a personal intellectual crisis that his Barca 2 model is not working and going increasingly wrong.

Have you noticed he is always in a lousy mood.

Personally I think he should stick it out. He should have the full support of the Board because he has sacrificed cups for debt repayments. He does have the most economically efficient business model so he should be a huge beneficiary of FFP. And as soon as they start allocating costs away fron profits to trophies they will start winning a few. I think a lot of it is a personal intellectual crisis that his Barca 2 model is not working and going increasingly wrong.

I know what you mean but then please explain his failure to recognise the back five frailties and sort them out.

I remember well the magnificent back five he inherited that were the backbone of his early tenure. Look what he's let happen. Thats done to nothing else other than his blinkered mindset.

Regards our rivalry, frankly i'd almost be happy if he stays. He's gone mental.

I know what you mean but then please explain his failure to recognise the back five frailties and sort them out.

I will give you the only answer I can think of. Wenger is arranging team in theory that is supplied by the Academy and 'released from exposure to the transfer market.'

Presumably the youngsters are recruited with the intent of making it into the first team. The problem Wenger runs into if he 'fills the holes' in his squad is that he is potentially blocking the progress of a youngster down the line. And as his nodel is based on a smooth development from youngster to first team he is reluctant to block holes that might effectively end the young recruits career development.

I admit it is a fairly feeble excuse and quite possibly doesnt even reflect the reality of the situation. But aupplying an explanation when no explanation seems readily available sets the bar incredibly low for me making a post.

The owners will eventually do something about Wenger when they see the revenues starting to ebb away. This coming season's ticket sales will be one litmus test and then qualification for CL 2011/12, then qualification for CL 2012/13. If he can pull off all 3 then I think he will survive, even if he doesn't win a trophy again.

Yes in theory we should do well when fairplay comes in and I do think he has done a good job of keeping the spending down over the last 3 or 4 seasons while still remaining 'in contention'. However, I'm sanguine about how other teams will find ways around that.

The owners will eventually do something about Wenger when they see the revenues starting to ebb away. This coming season's ticket sales will be one litmus test and then qualification for CL 2011/12, then qualification for CL 2012/13. If he can pull off all 3 then I think he will survive, even if he doesn't win a trophy again.

Yes in theory we should do well when fairplay comes in and I do think he has done a good job of keeping the spending down over the last 3 or 4 seasons while still remaining 'in contention'. However, I'm sanguine about how other teams will find ways around that.

After his antics last season I just don't think players will buy into his vision any more. Better then to chase the money.....Its sad in footballing terms but I won't be complaining! biggrin.gif

Not too much anyway...

Edited by smokie36

Watch out for flying pigs, people. The EPL has actually made a sensible decision :rolleyes:

Premier League changes rules on 'weakened' teams

The Premier League has changed their rules on so-called 'weakened' teams.

Top-flight clubs will now be allowed to pick any player in their 25-man matchday squad without fear of sanction from the Premier League. _54086471_holloway_getty.jpg

...Personally I think he should stick it out. He should have the full support of the Board because he has sacrificed cups for debt repayments. He does have the most economically efficient business model so he should be a huge beneficiary of FFP. And as soon as they start allocating costs away fron profits to trophies they will start winning a few...

Agreed. I think that due to having to pay off the borrowed money on the new stadium, his hands have been tied somewhat in what he can spend. Although Arsenal have downplayed this because it's bad for the image of the club in terms of attracting new players etc.

A new manager would likely have the same budget and may end up finishing lower than Wenger.

Having said that, the team does need more grit (like Viera or Adams from teams past) to balance out the more creative players and the defence does need improving, so they're likely still a few players short.

Reinforcing the impression that Wenger would make a better youth team leader/scout than major CL team manager, comes the following rumour:

"It looks like Arsene Wenger has masterminded the arrival of yet another unknown talent at Arsenal after it was revealed by Joel Campbell’s team in Costa Rica that they have agreed to sell the youngster to the Gunners for a price of $1.5m

The 19 year-old has been extremely impressive for the Costa Rica U20 side this summer, as well as taking the step up to the senior national side, despite only playing a handful of league games for his club Deportivo Saprissa."

No bids for Bendtner, so he'll probably have to go out on loan. I'll bet his gobby Dad is not showing his face down the local anymore :rolleyes:. Nonetheelss I have to say I still think he'd be a good loan prospect for someone in the bottom half

Reinforcing the impression that Wenger would make a better youth team leader/scout than major CL team manager, comes the following rumour:

"It looks like Arsene Wenger has masterminded the arrival of yet another unknown talent at Arsenal after it was revealed by Joel Campbell's team in Costa Rica that they have agreed to sell the youngster to the Gunners for a price of $1.5m

The 19 year-old has been extremely impressive for the Costa Rica U20 side this summer, as well as taking the step up to the senior national side, despite only playing a handful of league games for his club Deportivo Saprissa."

No bids for Bendtner, so he'll probably have to go out on loan. I'll bet his gobby Dad is not showing his face down the local anymore :rolleyes:. Nonetheelss I have to say I still think he'd be a good loan prospect for someone in the bottom half

I saw the headline "Aesenal sign Campbell" and smiled....oh yes.....rolleyes.gif

Arsenal are reported (BBC) to have had a £10 million offer for Everton's Jagielka turned down - they want £20m. Curious that he set the opener so low, since it is rumoured that we bid £12 million for him last Summer and he is still young and has a new 4 year contract from Moyes. I guess he is just laying down a marker in case he doesn't get someone higher up on his target list.

So I guess in the next couple of weeks or so we will find out which of Cahill, Jagielka, Samba and/or Dann will move to Arsenal, Totttenham, Man City and or Chelsea (anyone else out there looking for a defender?). Cahill is obviously a cut above the other 3. Samba had one or two awesome games in the last part of the season, but he would be more of a gamble. One of Cahill or Samba would be my preference.

Wenger has said in China that Arsenal have one of the best defences in open play (I question that, but maybe Abrak has the stats!) but the problem is they have one of the worst defences against set plays. Maybe that is true if you include penalties - we seemed to give a few too many of those away in the back half - symptomatic of the panicky nature of our defence when under sustained pressure.

Arsenal are reported (BBC) to have had a £10 million offer for Everton's Jagielka turned down - they want £20m. Curious that he set the opener so low, since it is rumoured that we bid £12 million for him last Summer and he is still young and has a new 4 year contract from Moyes. I guess he is just laying down a marker in case he doesn't get someone higher up on his target list.

So I guess in the next couple of weeks or so we will find out which of Cahill, Jagielka, Samba and/or Dann will move to Arsenal, Totttenham, Man City and or Chelsea (anyone else out there looking for a defender?). Cahill is obviously a cut above the other 3. Samba had one or two awesome games in the last part of the season, but he would be more of a gamble. One of Cahill or Samba would be my preference.

Wenger has said in China that Arsenal have one of the best defences in open play (I question that, but maybe Abrak has the stats!) but the problem is they have one of the worst defences against set plays. Maybe that is true if you include penalties - we seemed to give a few too many of those away in the back half - symptomatic of the panicky nature of our defence when under sustained pressure.

As I may have mentioned before I believe the big problem with Cahill is his personal terms where he is looking for 120k+ per week. This certainly rules him out for many clubs and may well be disruptive for a club like Arsenal. Arsenal can at least afford to pay him this money.

I think it is way too early to start counting Arsenal out. I would be very surprised if they are not in the top 4.

I think that Wenger is his own worst enemy.

I would be happy with either of them Santi. We just need another central defender really....you could make the case for all three but we don't have the defensive frailties your side suffers so badly from. Its more a case of having enough who are able to play twice a week. These days you need four centre backs. All are expensive for what they are worth.

I would be happy with either of them Santi. We just need another central defender really....you could make the case for all three but we don't have the defensive frailties your side suffers so badly from. Its more a case of having enough who are able to play twice a week. These days you need four centre backs. All are expensive for what they are worth.

The problem we have Smokes, if we buy any of the 4 i don't think they would get into our first eleven thus it's a lot of money to pay for a squad player :o

The problem we have Smokes, if we buy any of the 4 i don't think they would get into our first eleven thus it's a lot of money to pay for a squad player :o

For the half dozem games King will play he's the first name on any team sheet. Gallas will be doubtful for a full season's worth. Bassong I'm still not convinced tbh. I'd forget Cahill's wage demands and bring in Samba as cover.