Arsenal

MiG16

A couple of tricky games tonight and next week. If we are top 4 material then we should be taking 4 points from Newcastle tonight and Everton away next Wednesday. If we are top 3 material we should be taking 6 points. Any team should be happy to be in the position to have 6 pointers at home to their nearest 2 challengers from below. A win over Newcastle tonight would bury them and a win over Chelsea in 3 weeks would make it tough for them

Newcastle are a bit of a bogey team for us since they got back into the EPL. They famously sank our season last year with that 4 goal comeback (which many Gooners seem to remember wrongly, but unsurprisingly, as an Arsenal loss!) and we haven't beaten them, except we tonked then in some lesser Cup I care not for.

Arteta should be back. He and Song will be key to stopping the Magpies serving ball to their two strongish front men by controlling the back of midfield and keeping a high line. Ramsey also is back from injury, but I hope Arsene picks Rosicky to start. Arsene also has the luxury of being able to pick the same back 4 for three games running, though there is now only one back-up (Jenkinson) and one coming next week (Santos).

Let's hope the positive Arsenal turn up. If so 3-1.

I read the injury news - looks like Mertesacker, Wilshere and Frimpong will do well to be back playing at the start of next season at the earliest.

Ryo Miyaichi (19 year old Japanese inside left - boy doesn't that phrase date me) has been looking pretty useful for Bolton in the last few games. Did you know we have 8 guys out on loan, albeit 4 are just failed sales - Bendtner, Arshavin, DeNilson and Vela.

Someone woke me up half am hour too early. At least it wasn't half hour too late :P

No complaints though :D

FT

Arsenal 2:1 Newcastle

Theo and rosicky get my approval today

Bit of a frustrating second half and that last 90 seconds when Newcastle had the ball in front of out goal had me holding my breath.

Good game. But what was all the final minutes scuffling between RvP and the geordie keeper

Newcastle just about deserved a point for stout resistance and I would have put good money on them nicking all the points had this been the Arsenal of last half last season/first half this. But it was not.

Rosicky, Vermaelen, Sagna (world's best left back since he stormed back from injury) and Walcott excellent. Gervinho still ruined by the ACON and Gibbs flaky.

Time for bed. Ten day break now - I need it with these night games.

Edit: <deleted> was all that Dutch aggro between Khrul and RvP about? Not like the Spaniards, who always seem to have a warm camaraderie (am I allowed to racially stereotype with praise?).

Edited by SantiSuk

Nice to the Arsenal showing there class in the second half of the season all those numpty spurs followers must be very upset with Arry now?

Still they should be happy that he will go to England and ..........he will not have to embarrass them in Europe with his tictacs.

That is of course if they qualify for the Chumpions League ...imagine after all the waffle if they don't??

Nice to the Arsenal showing there class in the second half of the season all those numpty spurs followers must be very upset with Arry now?

Still they should be happy that he will go to England and ..........he will not have to embarrass them in Europe with his tictacs.

That is of course if they qualify for the Chumpions League ...imagine after all the waffle if they don't??

mrboj was right....fekk off! biggrin.png

excuse moi

where should I

....fekk off!
to? Im too much of a sport to go gloat on YOUR thread wink.pngwhistling.gif

you are on MY turf! biggrin.png

PS. and Im too much of a lady to even repeat the word...hence the weird quote

some media coverage:

from BBC Sport

Arsene Wenger praises Arsenal's 'relentless belief'

Arsene Wenger praises Arsenal's "relentless effort, belief and quality" following their dramatic 2-1 victory over Newcastle thanks to Thomas Vermaelen's goal in the last minute of stoppage time.

Wenger says the Gunners "needed something special" to beat their opponents which saw them become the first team ever to come from behind to win four games in a row in the Premier League.

The Gunners are now within a point of third place, currently occupied by arch-rivals Tottenham.

and from the Standard

Arsenal were 10 points behind rivals Tottenham in the race for third place before their meeting last month, but the Gunners are now only a point behind after extending their run of victories and look favourites to secure a Champions League spot.

Wenger's side conceded first at the Emirates on Monday for the fourth consecutive match when Hatem Ben Arfa drilled in at the near post, but Robin van Persie replied inside a minute with his 44th goal in his last 45 Premier League appearances, before Vermaelen grabbed the late winner.

"This was a game of absolute commitment on both sides," Wenger said.

"Newcastle are a good team and it needed something special to beat them.

and

"We won in the last minute against Sunderland, Liverpool and now Newcastle. That shows we have absolute commitment.

"They are refusing to lose. That's fantastic. The team has to be credited for an excellent performance again."

Walcott - who was impressive throughout - believes his side can catch Tottenham to take third spot.

"Tottenham have got to be watching over their shoulders now," Walcott said.

excuse moi

where should I

....fekk off!
to? Im too much of a sport to go gloat on YOUR thread wink.pngwhistling.gif

you are on MY turf! biggrin.png

PS. and Im too much of a lady to even repeat the word...hence the weird quote

I was talking to your Manc mate...but since I'm here...a thousand curses on your captain. whistling.gif

A lot of credit must go to Wenger who has received all sorts of criticism from media, pundits and his own supporters. Luckily he had enough supporters who believed in his own long term credibility and success or he would have been long gone. I very much doubt if Wenger had been replaced when Arsenal were really struggling, whoever had replaced him could have engendered the sort of revival in Arsenal's fortunes that Wenger himself has achieved.

A lot of credit must go to Wenger who has received all sorts of criticism from media, pundits and his own supporters. Luckily he had enough supporters who believed in his own long term credibility and success or he would have been long gone. I very much doubt if Wenger had been replaced when Arsenal were really struggling, whoever had replaced him could have engendered the sort of revival in Arsenal's fortunes that Wenger himself has achieved.

Yer 'avin a laugh. Whoever had replaced him (if a top flight manager) would not have got into that position in the first place.

A revival to squeak into the CL spots and to emulate another disappointing season of last year. That may please a Red, but it is way too little for a club that should be targetting top 5 in Europe. Wenger must go.

Arsenal fans should treat this feting of our yesterday's man manager, by fans of other clubs with the scepticism it deserves.

Yer 'avin a laugh. Whoever had replaced him (if a top flight manager) would not have got into that position in the first place.

A revival to squeak into the CL spots and to emulate another disappointing season of last year. That may please a Red, but it is way too little for a club that should be targetting top 5 in Europe. Wenger must go.

Arsenal fans should treat this feting of our yesterday's man manager, by fans of other clubs with the scepticism it deserves.

An I thought Abby was trying to wind US up! biggrin.png

No fair point Santi....

You might well (probably are right) that Wenger should go because his ambition is limited to getting Arsenal into the CL each year and little else. My point though was that it would have been the wrong time to sack him when you were struggling because he is best placed to get the most out of what it is a fairly 'limited' team.

The fact that Arsenal deserve a 'better' team and a more 'ambitious' manager is a good one. And perhaps now that he has squeaked you into the CL it is time that he stepped aside.

BTW I am rather optimistic on Arsenal's future prospects and think they might actually win the Premiership in the next 3 years.

Edited by Abrak

No fair point Santi....

You might well (probably are right) that Wenger should go because his ambition is limited to getting Arsenal into the CL each year and little else. My point though was that it would have been the wrong time to sack him when you were struggling because he is best placed to get the most out of what it is a fairly 'limited' team.

The fact that Arsenal deserve a 'better' team and a more 'ambitious' manager is a good one. And perhaps now that he has squeaked you into the CL it is time that he stepped aside.

Its all about Van Persie though isn't it not Wenger. The dutchman is the spearhead of the revival and without his goals Arsenal would be a mid table team.

Santisuk is 100% correct about Wenger imho

Sussed!

Isn't it about time that your manageress told that Polish blowhard to keep his trap shut? Doesn't the sad little sausage roll not know that all he has to do to endear himself to the fans is to play well rather than incite a riot at our next derby.

No fair point Santi....

BTW I am rather optimistic on Arsenal's future prospects and think they might actually win the Premiership in the next 3 years.

Yes they could but are you as optimistic about liverpool winning the league in the next 3 years? if not 26 years sounds nice seeing scousers threw that at us a long time ago.coffee1.gif

No fair point Santi....

Yes they could but are you as optimistic about liverpool winning the league in the next 3 years? if not 26 years sounds nice seeing scousers threw that at us a long time ago.coffee1.gif

No, of course not.

We are realistically at least 5 years away from winning the Premiership and we would need a fair following wind to do it within that time frame.

I'm curious here......where are the signs that a title win could be five years away?

Well I think on a 3 to 4 year view FSG will turn us into an efficient business. No more 90k Carraghers on the bench or 60k subsidized Cole's playing for other teams. I think we will have an efficient cost base but a revenue short fall and capital short fall to win the premiership. However, at that point, I think that Henry has a plan to inject considerable equity cash capital (say 250m quid) into the business (not his own) to accelerate its progress. It would also need FFP to be reasonably effective in restricting City and Chelsea's cost base to something bearing a vague resemblance to their revenue.

I'm curious here......where are the signs that a title win could be five years away?

Well I think on a 3 to 4 year view FSG will turn us into an efficient business. No more 90k Carraghers on the bench or 60k subsidized Cole's playing for other teams. I think we will have an efficient cost base but a revenue short fall and capital short fall to win the premiership. However, at that point, I think that Henry has a plan to inject considerable equity cash capital (say 250m quid) into the business (not his own) to accelerate its progress. It would also need FFP to be reasonably effective in restricting City and Chelsea's cost base to something bearing a vague resemblance to their revenue.

You think??

Not like you to be so vague and speculative Abrak...have you got cup fever? biggrin.png

You think??

Not like you to be so vague and speculative Abrak...have you got cup fever? biggrin.png

Well it seems like a good plan to me but it is quite obvious and Henry might have a better plan.

Still we are on the right thread. If I was an Arsenal fan and didnt know how to raise 250m of fresh cash equity capital at the moment I would probably slit my throat. In fact if I was an Arsenal fan and the Board didnt agree to raise at least 100m of fresh cash equity capital to invest in the team I would probably slit the Board's throats. But apparently they dont seem too bothered.

You think??

Well it seems like a good plan to me but it is quite obvious and Henry might have a better plan.

Still we are on the right thread. If I was an Arsenal fan and didnt know how to raise 250m of fresh cash equity capital at the moment I would probably slit my throat. In fact if I was an Arsenal fan and the Board didnt agree to raise at least 100m of fresh cash equity capital to invest in the team I would probably slit the Board's throats. But apparently they dont seem too bothered.

Bums on seats and shirt sales aplenty in North London. For both clubs that is.

Not revenues silly. I am talking equity investment.

Ahh...you mean a share issue to the fans?

Not a bad idea but I think Santi has all his cash tied up in his classic cars! biggrin.png

Not a bad idea but I think Santi has all his cash tied up in his classic cars! biggrin.png

Gee why the fans? They have to pay an absolute fortune to watch their wretched team every week.

The club is capitalized at 1100m. Sell a 10% stake to Emirates for 100m - they have money burning a hole in their pockets. Spend 100m on the Arsenal team and I bet they will beat you lot next year. Oh and they will still have 115m in the bank.

Gee why the fans? They have to pay an absolute fortune to watch their wretched team every week.

The club is capitalized at 1100m. Sell a 10% stake to Emirates for 100m - they have money burning a hole in their pockets. Spend 100m on the Arsenal team and I bet they will beat you lot next year. Oh and they will still have 115m in the bank.

Emirates would be better off spending their money on improving their shocking airline. The current Arsenal management would only siphon the money into their own pockets anyway.

You think!

I thought thought that Comolli has replaced those has beens with equally over paid never will be's!!

Edited by carmine