Family based immigrant visa to us

poohbah

Hi All,

Here’s the basic situation. I want to bring my wife to the US on a family-based immigrant Visa. The final interview is on Friday of this week (We’ve collected all the necessary paperwork, translations, medical check, etc.).  This is the day when we find out whether she is worthy enough to move to the United States. I would like to know what other people experienced, what went wrong, etc. I hear the horror stories, but I want to hear the good ones too. From hearing the horror stories, it seems like the biggest problem people have is proving the extent of a relationship. Some guys try to bring a wife they just married (less than a year) to the US and, quite understandably, the INS refuses them.  

Here’s where we stand.

Wife, 31. Never married before. No kids. Masters from US. Currently employed as Thai government officer. No money/assets

Me, 29. US citizen. No kids. Masters degree. Employed as a teacher for 3 years in the same school as my wife. No money/ assets

Relationship: Over 5 years total (met in the US), 3 years marriage (all three years of which I have lived and worked in Thailand)

Sponsorship. I alone cannot sponsor my wife (no money). My parents are the joint sponsor. Their income is more than adequate to support us if it ever came to that, (unlikely in any case).

The plan:

My wife gets the immigrant visa. I will leave Thailand at the end of May and get a job in the United States (according to the poverty guidelines, the money I need to support her is equivalent to a $10.00 per hour job). This should not be a problem. She will come to the US in Late September. Finally, we live happily ever after.

Any thoughts as to the likelihood of this happening?

Feedback is most appreciated

Finally, we live happily ever after.

Any thoughts as to the likelihood of this happening?

Not going to touch that one!
Some guys try to bring a wife they just married (less than a year) to the US and, quite understandably, the INS refuses them

What?  It is wrong to be together after less than a year marriage?  Not only would it not be wrong, it is not true.  If I am married one second I can apply for/and receive an immigrant visa and I can also apply for a visa 'to marry' after entry to the US if I so desire.   I suspect/hope your meaning was some jump into marriage without looking and a slowdown is understandable rather than people should be forced to live apart.  Just because you have been able to live in Thailand for 3 years after your marriage does not make this a requirement for others.  ((flame mode off))  

If your parents take care of getting you above the money guidelines don't see any problem in the visa process.  If there has been any relationship prior to application it is normally approved.  In your case you even had a marriage so it should be a very low key and friendly conversation.

With regards to the being married for less than one year bit, it is now necessary to do a host of other paperwork if you have been married less than two years. I guess they figure on the worst case scenario being newly married couple moves to US. Man quickly figures out that wife is not all that she is cracked up to be and divorces here, therefore, leaving her as a public charge/ welfare recipient.  

The chances of a person becomming a public charge-I figure, that's what it really comes down to in their estimation of handing Visas out.

Thanks for the reply

With regards to the being married for less than one year bit, it is now necessary to do a host of other paperwork if you have been married less than two years

Would be interested in the form numbers of this "host" of paperwork as the only thing I can think of is the conditional residence restriction on less then 2 year old marriage.  You do have the advantage of using the Bangkok office of BCIS by having lived here but believe the papers filed are just about the same.  I know that things are changing under BCIS but have not heard of any magic about being married two years.

AS to the interview process, I myself was quite lucky. The man doing the interview just happened to be an old teacher from my hometown. He asked my wife three questions (did she know what I did for a living, where we were going to live and how long she had known me.) the rest of the interview was about how much the town had changed. I then had another interview process 2 year later and just renewed her green card last month with no hassle even tho she only stays in the US 4 months out of the year. So really it all depends on your attitude and who you get. I have always been really overly polite and never raised my voice even after all the hoops they make you jump thru. Good Luck