Iguinal hernia

stephenterry

I've been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia, which is not painful. I've adopted a wait and see process, after talking to a lady surgeon at Sripat (who has carried out many such ops) but it could result in repair surgery later. So a few questions from those conversant with the process:

recommended hospitals in CM, and is Sripat on the list?

estimated (non-insurance) cost of both open and laparoscope surgery?

any other considerations?

thanks in advance...

I was told that hernias don't heal themselves, and that delaying the operation to repair only results in the hernia getting larger, and depending on the type of surgery, a larger scar.

I had a double inguinal hernia (both sides) done at the same time with what I can only describe as the shuttlecock method whereby a "shuttlecock" shaped piece of mesh is inserted into the hernia, then a patch put over it. I was told by the surgeon a far less failure rate compared to the single patch method.

HTH

Fairly basic procedure that likely any hospital can do.  I had it done at RAM two years ago this month, was in from about 9AM to 4:30PM, and the total cost for the surgery (open) including meds (antibiotics and some pain pills) was 25,540 baht.  

I had laparoscopic surgery 4 weeks ago for a left inguinal hernia although not in Thailand. This was my first time ever having surgery so I was a little anxious. 

Some people do go with the ‘wait & watch’ method but mine was very painful at times which could lead to incarcerated and then strangulation which is not good. 

I’m recovering really well and the scaring is very little so I would recommend the laparoscopic method personally. Although my method cost more than 10 times the price stated above for open surgery in Thailand. 

Good luck with it:-) 

Had a double hernia done using laparoscopic surgery at CM Ram. Cost about 80,000 baht including a night at the hospital. Scaring is minimal and the soreness and bruising takes a few weeks to improve. One side failed so I had it repaired by open surgery by another doctor at CM Ram who I liked better, Dr. Ekachai. He has extensive experience. Cost 50,000 baht including one night stay that was paid by my insurance. Was quoted 80,000 baht for the open surgery at BKK hospital Chiang Mai, ouch! The wound was quite painful the first couple of weeks but you can get around after several days.  

I had an Inguinal hernia repaired a Suan Dok / Mahraj 7 years ago for 18K THB.  The risk if you wait is that you may end up with a strangulated intestine which is life threatening.  Spent two days in the hospital in a private room.  Top notch staff. If you get it done at Siripat, you'll be in the same facility, probably with the same doctors, but just more expensive. 

Archived