I'm charged with money laundering?

SerenityLane

On 3/5/2018 at 3:38 PM, Xaos said:

Are this BTC transactions even traceable?

What proof they got?

Ask to see proofs

Sounds like cops scam

They legitimately want to ask me why I have received money from another suspect and locked account to not let criminal money go. That's what they think.

And our question is what is the quickest way to return locked money? If I stand like 'you have to proof first', they may say 'yes we do not put you in jail, but we will hold your money' and will use all available beruecratics or corruption to not give it back.

So I want to show them that I'm innocent target, they made a mistake and must leave me with my money.

Althgouht many in this topic say that cops will now not want to close the case as they've spent effort.

They might as well go forward and check another suspicious transfer, who knows.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:24 PM, barsie said:

Your problem is you basically are money laundering. It's not an issue if you were returning funds to the the source ie original bank you bought bitcoin with.

Look. Money laundering definition is that a person makes illicit money to look legitimate, and to do so he must know and willingly make them look legitimate. It's universal, in every jurisdiction concept is same.

There are more rules for banks who are registered and provide financial services, they must know their client.

I just ask a stranger to transfer me money and in return I will write in blockchain a record that some wallet sent to another wallet numbers that worth legally nothing.

And I'm doing so because it's convenient way much supreme to traditional banking, I'm doing civil deals and these rules do not apply to me.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:07 PM, Xaos said:

The point here is not that he traded bitcoin, cuz many do, point is they accuse op dealing with gangsters, good excuse to nick your money's, I would want to see police proof, if true unlucky then. If no proof then it's banker and cop scam. BTC transactions are very hard to trace, only way would be they got ur names from localbitcoins site.

And do op got any proof for what he says to back it up like police papers, so we sure he not spreads FUD anything would do, blank out sensitive parts.

Somehow I don't buy this story.

Police can order bank to shut accounts? Unbelievable

Only courts can do that.

When bank manager refused to show me the order paper I was sceptical as well, but still beleived that it is illegal to disclose an offical document. Instead he gave me phone number of officer in BKK.

I called to this contact and person did not understand anything and hang up. He did not respond to SMS.

So next day I went to tourist police in Chiang Mai so that they clear if manager is scamming me.

An officer called contact and explained me in formation I did not know. Like arrest warrant after send notice.

So it is definitely not a game from manager because he is under radar also, he opened account for me without work permit.

On 3/5/2018 at 6:08 PM, jobsworth said:

I have never traded in bitcoins but I have investigated the system.

Unlike a normal currency exchange there is no central bank that you can buy from and sell to.

So somebody has to sell you their bitcoins or somebody has to buy your bitcoins.

The problem is you don't know who. It could be anybody.

In this case it was between you and a criminal.

So you become responsible for whatever the criminal is accused of.

Since the transactions are supposed to be anonymous how did the police find out?

It cannot be as anonymous as all that.

Someone sell you a hamburger on street and later he is caught with marijuana. And now you have to explain why you sent him money?

On 3/5/2018 at 6:49 PM, britishrepublican said:

You are required by law to know and adhere to the "know your clients" rules which are the same the world over.

In your OP you have clearly admitted to breaking the law with regard to anti-money laundering laws, by admitting you do not know your clients, that is a criminal offence, definitely in the U.K. and in the USA. I'm sure Thailand has similar laws. 

These rules apply to businesses, not to common people.

Edited by SerenityLane

2 minutes ago, SerenityLane said:

These rules apply do businesses, not to common people.

These rules apply to anyone receiving money into there bank account.

was your transactions all with the same person then.

Edited by taninthai

On 3/5/2018 at 11:12 PM, phycokiller said:

I would guess that quite a lot of btc in circulation can be traced to having gone through a known dark market wallet at some stage. maybe this is what they are referring to as gansters

The bitcoin itself moves inside localbitcoins. So if they are serious enough I will give them a hand contacting the Sweden company.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:57 PM, manchega said:

Hi OP,

your case looks interesting.

as is always the case with dealing with the police, admit nothing and show no evidence.

don't give them any reason to lose face and you should be ok.

I want my money back. What should I do to return it?

Coins.co.th seems to be a pretty legitimate operation compared to some that I have seen. They have a presence in the Philippines as well as indicated from their mobile app. I have deposited with them a number of times, totaling around 600k baht and immediately transferred these funds via wallet transfer to another exchange without issue. 

After reading the OP I had some concerns about transferring an equal or greater amount back to my Thai bank account through coins.co. Have other members had any similar issues to the OP in relation to coins.co? I have yet to bring any money back into Thailand but would like to start bringing some back (once today's sell off has corrected). I have a decent amount of crypto (XRP, ETH, BTC) which was purchased outside of Thailand which I would eventually like to bring here as well.

2 hours ago, SerenityLane said:

They didn't take your money (yet). They just froze it. They want to question you, but you have now fled the country.

While your reasons for doing so can be understood, just stop and think, how does it look? if you want to make a case, you need to cooperate with authorities or at least communicate with them in some kind of accepted channel.

And "they are too corrupt for anything good to come out of cooperation" might just be true, but nevertheless it isn't a legitimate argument you can make.

Edited by XGM

3 hours ago, SerenityLane said:

By the way for anyone interested lawyers charge to help with this case between 5000 and 10000 Baht per hour. Excluding transfer and waiting time, as well as other expenses lawyers may have to support you.

At them rates looks like you are gonna lose the money to the lawyer anyway...if the op is as innocent as he claims to be,the best option would have been to meet with police and take all paperwork with him from transactions.....fleeing the country pretty much means you now cannot return to Thailand ever again.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:10 PM, SerenityLane said:

I did not know who I am dealing with and did not have neither possibility nor obligation to check source of funds.

Sorry, but I think you do have legal obligation to check on these things.  Now given that you don't have the possibility of doing it, doesn't relieve you of the obligation to check.  Many country laws vary.  Good luck working on the edge.

Also, if you were in Thailand for over 180 days, isn't there a taxation issue on monies brought into the country if earned outside the country?  So be careful of what you ask for and how deep and how long you want to contest what the Thais are doing.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, SerenityLane said:

good question.

Just don't give them any reason to arrest you.  thats the only advice to be given with any police force

I think the government just wants a bit of it.  Probably tax

16 minutes ago, manchega said:

good question.

Just don't give them any reason to arrest you.  thats the only advice to be given with any police force

I think the government just wants a bit of it.  Probably tax

I'm a cynic when it comes to matters like this, but I reckon the money is gone i.e. you will be made to jump through hoops for years to get it back - and if you do start providing the authorities with explanations as to the source of the money and what you have been doing then they will find something you have done wrong and threaten prosecution, forcing you to back off and surrender the money.  I could be totally wrong - and for your sake I hope I am - but I really do think that the effort required to get the money back essentially means it's gone.  That said, I hope I am wrong and I wish you good luck.

Edited by mstevens

2 hours ago, britishrepublican said:

You broke the law. You can forget about getting any money back.

In your OP you have admitted to breaking the law.  Get over it and stop crying because you've only got yourself to blame. 

Count yourself lucky it wasn't big money.

I not read anything were he broke the law in his OP. 
But what I see as problem is, that he left the country, which could be seen as agreed he have done something wrong…. 

Edited by HampiK
Saved, when I want do a new line
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HampiK said:

But what I see as problem is, that he left the country, which could be seen as agreed he have done something wrong…. 

people do leave countries, thats no admission of guilt

• Like 2

Inflammatory posts have been removed, please keep it civil:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Hi Guys,  to me happened a similar thing. I sold bitcoins over localbitcoins apparently to a scamming callcenter. I received the money and 24 hours later my account was blocked. The persons that transfered the money to my account went to the police the next day saying both that they have been convinced by a callcenter to transfer money to my account. This happened on 2 occassions, both on Jan 13

Im now acting as wittness in those 2 cases and the police needs as much info as possible.  There is no need to run away if you have done nothing illegal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HampiK said:

That is because you know very little about anti-money laundering laws. Do just a little basic research or risk having egg on your face again, my friend.

47 minutes ago, triple99 said:

Hi Guys,  to me happened a similar thing. I sold bitcoins over localbitcoins apparently to a scamming callcenter. I received the money and 24 hours later my account was blocked. The persons that transfered the money to my account went to the police the next day saying both that they have been convinced by a callcenter to transfer money to my account. This happened on 2 occassions, both on Jan 13

Im now acting as wittness in those 2 cases and the police needs as much info as possible.  There is no need to run away if you have done nothing illegal.

Did you carry out any checks on the identity of the sender and source of the funds? 

7 hours ago, triple99 said:

The persons that transfered the money to my account went to the police the next day saying both that they have been convinced by a callcenter to transfer money to my account.

So, what happened to your account? was the money confiscated?

16 hours ago, triple99 said:

Money was sent by banktransfer and both users were verified by localbitcoins with id card and phone. I had no reason to be suspicious

Localbitcoins accounts can easily be verified with bogus information.

Have you contacted localbitcoins? If so...what did they say?