open us checking+credit card from t'land

navy federal credit union

is possible to open checking and savings accounts, apply for credit cards online

using thailand address, with cards and documents mailed to thailand.

most credit cards no annual fee, no baltran fee, no fortran fee.

checking and savings no minimum balance.

must purchase one $5 share to become a member.

i used us drivers license and voter registration card to satisfy their ID requirements.

already received atm/debit card in the mail, credit card on the way.

some relationship to military required (veteran, dod worker or retiree, family member,

grandchild of someone eligible, enjoyed watching mchale's navy as a kid, etc)

2 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Were you able to open the account online from Thailand, or did you have to show your face in an office in the USA to sign a signature card?

Same as ChouDoufu except my account is with USAA.  Everything done here in Thailand over the internet, using my Thai address.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

Did you use a local address here in Thailand, or a US address?

10 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

Did you use a local address here in Thailand, or a US address?

As I said, with USAA I used my Thai address.  I believe in the original post he said he also used Thai address.

9 minutes ago, Ken said:

Same as ChouDoufu except my account is with USAA.  Everything done here in Thailand over the internet, using my Thai address.

Ken and Choufoudu... are either of you able to go online to your accounts and transfer money to a USD Foreign Currency Deposit or Thai Baht account here in Thailand without actually having to speak with a bank representative and going through a rigid protocol process? This would be the only reason that I would set up an account with either of these credit unions. I can't do that through my credit union back in TN and have to make phone calls and use email to request an international wire transfer.

6 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

Ken and Choufoudu... are either of you able to go online to your accounts and transfer money to a USD Foreign Currency Deposit or Thai Baht account here in Thailand without actually having to speak with a bank representative and going through a rigid protocol process? This would be the only reason that I would set up an account with either of these credit unions. I can't do that through my credit union back in TN and have to make phone calls and use email to request an international wire transfer.

I don't use my USAA account for this.  I have a Capital One account that I use.  But I could use the USAA account by setting up with USAA.  Fairly easy to do.  At USAA I would set up a transfer account to the Bangkok Bank NY, then do a ACH transfer to the Bangkok Bank NY,  which would then ACH my money to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.  This is how I do it with Capital One.

i have my fidelity account set up to ACH funds

by domestic transfer to bangkok bank new york

branch, online with no human interaction.

(i believe for a swift, they require call to get a

security code, but i may be mistaken.)

also have capital one checking, but have not

tried to send to thai yet.

despite having checking accounts and credit

cards with various us banks, i wanted one that

would allow local thai address.  want to be prepared

for the possibility that my us mailing address is

no longer accepted.

3 hours ago, nervona81732 said:

Fittobethaied , I have to call evrey month with USAA to transfer international. I think you can set up an auto deposit with BKK Bank New York tied directly to your BKK Bank account here.

I think you may be correct about doing a SWIFT transfer.  But if you set up the ACH transfer, no phone call needed.

6 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

i have my fidelity account set up to ACH funds

by domestic transfer to bangkok bank new york

branch, online with no human interaction.

(i believe for a swift, they require call to get a

security code, but i may be mistaken.)

also have capital one checking, but have not

tried to send to thai yet.

despite having checking accounts and credit

cards with various us banks, i wanted one that

would allow local thai address.  want to be prepared

for the possibility that my us mailing address is

no longer accepted.

Indeed, Capital One required a USA address to set up (I use my sister address in SC).  But USAA only need my Thai address and I am sure you can set up the Bangkok Bank ACH transfer with them.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Is this just for US citizens or also for foreigners?

I guess I understand your confusion.  But, we are talking about USA and USA bank accounts.  Other countries may have something similar.  Don't know.

11 minutes ago, Ken said:

I guess I understand your confusion.  But, we are talking about USA and USA bank accounts.  Other countries may have something similar.  Don't know.

Yes, i understood this.

And i was asking: Can i, as a german citizen, open such a bank account?

9 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

limited to us citizens (and permanent resident aliens).

need to provide a government ID with photo.

they have an online chat feature and can answer

your questions.

Basically same with USAA.  Had to provide info about military service, ie years of service, SS #, details about military service (rank, branch).

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, Capital One required a USA address to set up

Yeah, I tried a few days ago to open a Capital One money mkt acct, paying 1.5% (whoopee, but better than most other options for near cash positions). And even tho' I have their Quicksilver credit card (obtained when I lived in the US), thus am in their books, using my updated profile Houston mail forwarding address, nope -- when I put that address in (and I think they only asked for "address," not mailing and/or physical address), it came back 'tilt' -- please call 1-800..... So, not to put my credit card at risk (even tho I now use the USAA 2.5% cash back credit card), I didn't call.

They're making it tougher for expats under the 'Know Your Customer' (KYC) rules. It's supposed to be easier for existing customers opening new accounts -- but if you cross lines (like from credit to banking), you're getting treated as a 'new' customer.

Tried to open a CD acct awhile back, as the rate was excellent (forgot with whom). After putting in my Houston mail forwarding address, they came back with: "Broad street crosses which of the three streets." And gave three options. Easy, with a Google map on the section of Houston where "USATOME"  is located. Second question: Main street crosses which of the three streets." I couldn't find any Main street -- so I took a 33% probable chance with one of the streets. TILT. Call 1-800.... Trick question? Supposed to say, there is no Main street? Obviously, no CD.

Anyway, as has been pushed mucho on this forum, get financially established prior to moving here, to include overlapping options.

Had I known my mail forwarding address would now be in the system as just such (and not a physical address, needed more and more to do financial business in the US), I probably would have used a friend's Texas address as my physical address. Legal? Sure, just pay him $10 for his spare bedroom, as my physical location when in the US. Really getting bizarre to keep my investments flexible in good 'ole USA.

I didn't know that they were in the system until I reviewed my annual credit history from Trans Union and Equifax 

How exactly did they phrase the fact that you were using a mail forwarding address? Thanx.

15 minutes ago, JimGant said:

How exactly did they phrase the fact that you were using a mail forwarding address? Thanx.

I never said that they "phrased"  it as anything but a residence address, which you need to know since many businesses now use your knowledge of your credit report to prove your identity

I got tripped up by State Farm Bank because I didn't remember a mail forwarder's address in PA,  I used when I was in the Army many years ago