Engine replacement CBR400

Tabane

Good morning felllas!

My buddy has a CBR400 that needs an engine replacement; am not quiet sure about the engine number but I believe it could be NC21 or NC23
I'd like to know if any of you knows a shop/mechanic that could provide us a spare engine ?

Thanks a lot ! 

Somebody may have better info with more detail, but somewhere around Bang Na in BKK is an area of soi's set up for used machine tools, used car parts and used motorcycle parts. I'm talking a row of shops full to the brim with parts and engines.

Try there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Somebody may have better info with more detail, but somewhere around Bang Na in BKK is an area of soi's set up for used machine tools, used car parts and used motorcycle parts. I'm talking a row of shops full to the brim with parts and engines.

Try there.

Approximately KM10 inbound side of Bangna-Trad Road.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 12:59 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Try there.

do you mean the 'Chiang Kong' car spares village here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Soi+Chiang+Kong+Bang+Na+4,+Tambon+Bang+Phli+Yai,+Amphoe+Bang+Phli,+Chang+Wat+Samut+Prakan+10540/@13.6297602,100.702552,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x311d5e83fcdb2439:0xc7ae71eee6a37261!8m2!3d13.6297602!4d100.7047461

if so, more for car spares but might be worth a try, if you don't speak Thai you will need a Thai speaker to accompany you.

Might also be worth asking around the Soi Yaowarat area in chinatown

hope that helps

14 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

do you mean the 'Chiang Kong' car spares village here:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Soi+Chiang+Kong+Bang+Na+4,+Tambon+Bang+Phli+Yai,+Amphoe+Bang+Phli,+Chang+Wat+Samut+Prakan+10540/@13.6297602,100.702552,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x311d5e83fcdb2439:0xc7ae71eee6a37261!8m2!3d13.6297602!4d100.7047461

if so, more for car spares but might be worth a try, if you don't speak Thai you will need a Thai speaker to accompany you.

Might also be worth asking around the Soi Yaowarat area in chinatown

hope that helps

I don't know, but I have seen a street somewhere in BKK on the net with shops full to the rafters with m/c engines and parts.

I have not been there, nor seen it with my own eyes, but I know it exists.

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

are you sure these shops are still there? pretty sure most of the used auto parts stores around chula have been cleared away, but happy to be corrected if i am wrong, any up to date intel?

4 minutes ago, jay1980 said:

are you sure these shops are still there? pretty sure most of the used auto parts stores around chula have been cleared away, but happy to be corrected if i am wrong, any up to date intel?

No, I'm not sure. Like I said Google maps suggests they are still there (the street view pics dated November 2016 show the shops still there) but I haven't been there for a few years.

I guess it's not what you want to hear but maybe it's time to get a newer bike.

I had a VFR400 NC30 and I loved that bike.

But in the last years it was more and more difficult to get spare parts.

I had i.e. a bad water coolant hose. I asked my technician (who specialized in these bikes) to replace not just one but the whole set. And he told me that is impossible, because he can't buy a set anymore. He has to look for parts from another bike which he can use.

Similar problems with other parts.

At the end I gave up and sold the bike. Just too much hassle and too much time waiting for parts.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll go take a look to that place at Bangna.

For the moment the mechanic seems to be changing his mind. One day he tells me that the engine is completely <deleted> and needs to be replace. Then I went to visit him again last week and he tells me he can fix it... I guess it all depends on his mood.

I contacted another mechanic to get info concerning a spare engine, he suggested me someone who imports engines from
Japon; price seems a little bit high (28k).

So I’ll wait until my mechanic figure it out whether he can fix it or not. Otherwise I’ll go for a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

50 minutes ago, Tabane said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll go take a look to that place at Bangna.

For the moment the mechanic seems to be changing his mind. One day he tells me that the engine is completely <deleted> and needs to be replace. Then I went to visit him again last week and he tells me he can fix it... I guess it all depends on his mood.

I contacted another mechanic to get info concerning a spare engine, he suggested me someone who imports engines from
Japon; price seems a little bit high (28k).

So I’ll wait until my mechanic figure it out whether he can fix it or not. Otherwise I’ll go for a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

maybe search on Facebook also, any facebook groups for owners of the same bike you have in Thailand?

I belong to a few Thailand facebook groups related to my modified car where I have found parts and seen them advertised.

hope that helps

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Try the Thai websites.

+1  -  I am amazed that people in Thailand, looking for a bike part, for a bike in Thailand, search elsewhere.

Putting aside if you own a grey market import that was never sold here.