Usd Account In Thailand

Somebody told me Bangkok Bank will let a farang open an account that will allow you to wire in US dollars and not convert it to baht-sounds unlikely but does anybody know if this is true-thanks-wn

A few years ago I opened a US Dollar account with Bangkok Bank, no problem at all. I still have it along with a Baht account. I would suggest you try the head office branch on Silom Road

Is your account interest bearing? Can these accounts be used to hold the equivalent of the 800,000 baht needed on account for a retirement visa?

Yes, they pay interest.

No, you cannot use this for the retirement visa.

Naka.

Is your account interest bearing? Can these accounts be used to hold the equivalent of the 800,000 baht needed on account for a retirement visa?

Yes, they pay interest.

No, you cannot use this for the retirement visa.

Naka.

thanks to all for your help-interesting about the retirement visa regs

I have a USD account in Bangkok, earning 2.75%, and used this for my retirement VISA qualifications.

There are numerous 'first person' accounts of folks reporting that Immigration

did not accept this.

One such person was told by Immigration that the money must be in a savings account

as he was meant to use these funds for his living expenses.

Anyway, we know they don't all sing from the same songbook ! :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

I have a USD account in Bangkok, earning 2.75%, and used this for my retirement VISA qualifications.

Which bank.

Cheers

Which bank.

Cheers

Didn't he answer that above, HSBC?

I'm going to look into this situation when I visit Bangkok this next week, and upon my return to the USA in Feb.

The little research I did seems to indicate they only have one branch and one ATM in Thailand? Is this so? This would seem to necessitate 'banking-on-line' which has always bothered me in this world of computer hacks reguardless of how safe all these people want to tell you their services are?

If you use another's ATM machine aren't you subject to a service fee each time?

I'm planing on retiring here within a year or so, but I don't feel it is best to buy lots of baht at this time, even as I feel the USA is in for some shock treatments to its markets....massive, iresponsible over-spending

Which bank.

Cheers

Didn't he answer that above, HSBC?

I'm going to look into this situation when I visit Bangkok this next week, and upon my return to the USA in Feb.

The little research I did seems to indicate they only have one branch and one ATM in Thailand? Is this so? This would seem to necessitate 'banking-on-line' which has always bothered me in this world of computer hacks reguardless of how safe all these people want to tell you their services are?

If you use another's ATM machine aren't you subject to a service fee each time?

I'm planing on retiring here within a year or so, but I don't feel it is best to buy lots of baht at this time, even as I feel the USA is in for some shock treatments to its markets....massive, iresponsible over-spending

HSBC ATM cards are valid at virtually all ATM machines in Thailand. No fee within Bangkok - only outside Bangkok (which is the same for all Thai banks I believe.) Yes, there is only one branch (Rama IV Road).

There are numerous 'first person' accounts of folks reporting that Immigration

did not accept this.

One such person was told by Immigration that the money must be in a savings account

as he was meant to use these funds for his living expenses.

Anyway, we know they don't all sing from the same songbook ! :o

Naka.

YES, I have an HSBC Savings account in USDollars, earning 2.75%.

The letter they wrote for Immigration stated the amount in Baht at the current exchange rate.

Immigration wants to see 3 previous months statements too.