Lottery mad family !!

Andrew Dwyer

My gf and the rest of her family are lottery crazy !!

As well as the government lottery between them they also play the Hanoi Lottery ( ? ) and some dodgy lottery which has some illegal undertones !!

My gf’s brother is head monk at a temple but on many occasions has asked me for “ lucky “ numbers, I thought he was supposed to be the numbers guy ??

Some of their reasons for picking the numbers are, IMO , shear madness .

An example:

A few days ago I had a weird dream about a tattooed orangutan !!

My gf was talking to her sister today and mentioned this dream, her sister was angry because apparently this dream relates to the number 15 and this was the final two numbers in the latest draw and we didn’t mention it earlier !!

Anyone else have lottery mad extended families ?

• Like 1

The country is lottery mad. You could be in a middle of what is meant to be an 'important' meeting and the meeting will break to discuss the lottery. Many Thai will even plan their lives and buy expensive things like cars on the belief they will actually receive lottery money like they do a paycheck. 

Father-in-law doesn't drink or smoke, but does spend 8,000 baht a month on the lottery. He reckons he has a system, I obviously think it is complete rubbish but he does seem to win every third time or so. The wife used to buy the odd ticket, but does not play it anymore. Mother-in-law also refuses to play. 

The woman who blessed our Buddhist artifact thing in the front of our house suggested numbers to him, he didn't win so said he would never trust things like that again. But yes, people go off silly things like dreams, car license plates, house numbers etc, and then call all their friends to choose these numbers.

I guess it either gives people something to do/talk about, and others a lot of hope their lives will improve...also the gambling aspect for many.  

• Like 2

There are way more lotteries than what you mentioned. In most villages somebody is making a lottery, in many companies and even in government offices they make lotteries (these are always based on the drawn numbers of the official lottery)

Usually these illegal lotteries have better odds than the official lottery, but of course you can't win millions there, so it's really just gambling and losing money.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

And of course the dynamics wouldn’t be complete without the bib’s wife who picks up ฿800 each month while he sits in the a/c’d truck and doesn’t see anything going on here.

It wouldn't surprise me if the police station is running it's own lottery

• Like 2

The lotto-racket.... what an over-priced farce,only "mr.big" is enriched from this "maddness"

In my country a 50b ticket will get you in the loop for a $20-$60 million dollar jackpot and including several subsidiary draws....human nature being what it is....needs something to believe in.

Yup, 'they' do run there own "illegal" lotto. My friend used to sell tickets for one of these things and collect commissions from "mr.big"...she also said that a percentage of lotto takes as well as police check stop booty is piped up to The Mr.Big.

Edited by HaleySabai
  • Like 1

There are many popular books in the Thai language which will interpret your dreams and give you the numbers for a particular dream. And some of these authors are bestsellers!!

That must be where the gf’s sister got the numbers from !
I was astounded that something as specific as a tattooed orangutan could be interpreted into a “ lucky “ number !!

In 6 months playing I have won once ( 2000 baht- tax ) so I am ahead , maybe I should stop whilst I’m winning [emoji51]
  • Like 1

And the village lottery dynamics are quite amusing as a foreigner who married into it. Like when someone bets on credit and then pays with a chicken, dog or a 5 gallon pail of paint. Then there’s the lottery underwriter overlord lady who can’t cough up the ฿140,000 when one of her underling peddlers wins against her on a ฿5,000 wager, solution? She pays a little which is infuriating and he keeps her cut each month until everyone is happy again. Theres the underling who can’t pay ฿40,000 to his customers and is heartbroken because he has to sell a cow to retain credibility so his wife pawns some gold to stop the sobbing. And of course the dynamics wouldn’t be complete without the bib’s wife who picks up ฿800 each month while he sits in the a/c’d truck and doesn’t see anything going on here.

One more that made perfect sense to everyone in the family and made me laugh,, the wife in the team got a full hairdo and dye job from a seriously delinquent losing credit customer,,and only had to pay ฿50,, no mention of the wager money she had to take from her pocket and forward up the chain months ago.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TKDfella said:

I like to read maths, science etc. so it isn't hard to understand why I sometimes dream about numbers and the like. If memory serves, this particular dream had something to do with he prime number 173 (can't remember the details). During a conversation with a neighbour I mentioned this number which he apparently just happen to have seen somewhere else (maybe TV, Net etc.) So he bought tickets ending with 173. He didn't win anything and told me that I had got my maths. wrong, Ha!

6 digits, man, 6...not 3!

Try 314159...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

The lotto-racket.... what an over-priced farce,only "mr.big" is enriched from this "maddness"

In my country a 50b ticket will get you in the loop for a $20-$60 million dollar jackpot and including several subsidiary draws....human nature being what it is....needs something to believe in.

Yup, 'they' do run there own "illegal" lotto. My friend used to sell tickets for one of these things and collect commissions from "mr.big"...she also said that a percentage of lotto takes as well as police check stop booty is piped up to The Mr.Big.

Yeah, but what are the odds of winning the 1st price or jackpot in your country? Here it's 1 to 1 million. The jackpot in your country is probably 1 to 1 trillion or even less!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Yeah, but what are the odds of winning the 1st price or jackpot in your country? Here it's 1 to 1 million. The jackpot in your country is probably 1 to 1 trillion or even less!

The problem with the lottery here or any other lottery with such low jackpots is: If you win 6 million THB it doesn't change too much. Of course that's a bigger sum, but it's a sum that you can save by yourself while working a normal job, if you save long enough. But this sum is not really life changing.

But if you win let's say 10 million USD it enables you to live a life which you normally could not have (for example you can decide to never work again in your life).

Most people know that by playing lottery you statistically lose money. Playing lottery with small sums is just burning money. But if you play for big jackpots a win is life changing which can somehow justify that you statistically lose money with it.

I know that you can buy 10 tickets for the Thai lottery with the same numbers and then you would win 60 million, this would of course also be "life changing" (for most), but it also costs you 800 THB for the tickets, which is quite expensive (of course your odds are higher compared to playing with a 100THB ticket for a multi million jackpot in another lottery)

Edited by jackdd

44 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The problem with the lottery here or any other lottery with such low jackpots is: If you win 6 million THB it doesn't change too much. Of course that's a bigger sum, but it's a sum that you can save by yourself while working a normal job, if you save long enough. But this sum is not really life changing.

But if you win let's say 10 million USD it enables you to live a life which you normally could not have (for example you can decide to never work again in your life).

Most people know that by playing lottery you statistically lose money. Playing lottery with small sums is just burning money. But if you play for big jackpots a win is life changing which can somehow justify that you statistically lose money with it.

I know that you can buy 10 tickets for the Thai lottery with the same numbers and then you would win 60 million, this would of course also be "life changing" (for most), but it also costs you 800 THB for the tickets, which is quite expensive (of course your odds are higher compared to playing with a 100THB ticket for a multi million jackpot in another lottery)

I hear what you say, and winning 6m THB for you or me is indeed not life changing, but for 80% (maybe more) of the Thai population, 6m THB is about 50 years of salary and thus for them it's certainly life changing. I have seen that a couple of hundred thousand THB is life changing for people here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cheops said:

Last week.....Chok-Dee Mf'er.

winners.jpg

Edited by HaleySabai

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

You won't get any seller to sell you a group of 10 tickets for 800 baht, more like 120-130 each..........don't believe me??  try it sometime.

6 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

You won't get any seller to sell you a group of 10 tickets for 800 baht, more like 120-130 each..........don't believe me??  try it sometime.

120-130 is obviously the "farang" (or wife of farang) price ;)

Most sellers will ask for 100THB per ticket, but that means the price is negotiable.

But there are places where tickets are sold for 80THB, they even have signs "ticket just 80THB", there you don't have to negotiate, 80THB is the price.

And there is a law with quite hefty fines which says that a ticket may not be sold for more than 80THB. You should of course not threaten the seller with it (always a risk to get beaten up or stabbed in Thailand), but mentioning that you know that it exists can help in paying 80THB instead of 100THB

11 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I ain't saying it is fate or anything like that - but one day before the lottery draw two summers ago I was in The Australian bar on Soi 11, my waitress was #11, my bill came to 1100 baht - so I bought 5 tickets from an old lady just passing by last two digits were 11    I won 100,000 baht...they were twenty thousand each...I only got 98,000 cause the GOL Office took out taxes, and I gave the waitress a 5,000 baht tip.   :wai:

That was a really nice gesture. 

Makes me happy reading this things. 

Cheers mate

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

Does anyone know how much the people who sells the lottery tickets make?

I sometimes buy (around 300-500 Baht/month) to help them make a living and obviously if I don't play, I'll never winn. However, I'm not so serious about it. 

Afaik they earn 10THB per ticket sold (at 80THB, if they sell it for more they obviously pocket the difference)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1