The Funny Things The Girls Say!

I was driving down the highway between singburi and ayutaya last week coping with the weather and traffic when my girlfriend said she needed to go to the toilet - as I didn't want to have to keep an eye out for a service station I told her to look and when she saw a service station to shout out "hong nam ahoy " , it was only as she started giggling that I realised what I had said - it would not have been so bad if her father and step-sister were not sitting right behind me.. :o:D:D

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister-in-law was talking with her American friend the other night, when mysteriously, she passes the phone on to me so he can relate the following story, he has to leave for work, so he tells her: "I've got to take off"

Sister in law: "Take off what?"

It was funny at the time.

I was driving down the highway between singburi and ayutaya last week coping with the  weather and traffic when my girlfriend said she needed to go to the toilet - as I didn't want to have to keep an eye out for a service station I told her to look and when she saw a service station to shout out "hong nam ahoy " , it was only as she started giggling that I realised what I had said - it would not have been so bad if her father and step-sister were not sitting right behind me.. :D  :D  :D

:o

• 2 weeks later...

Some great moments in this thread..unfortunately not much to contribute as my gf probably speaks english better than wot I dus. She has real trouble with scarf and crisps but I have stopped correcting it now as I find it so charming.

I was driving down the highway between singburi and ayutaya last week coping with the  weather and traffic when my girlfriend said she needed to go to the toilet - as I didn't want to have to keep an eye out for a service station I told her to look and when she saw a service station to shout out "hong nam ahoy " , it was only as she started giggling that I realised what I had said - it would not have been so bad if her father and step-sister were not sitting right behind me.. :D  :D  :D

could'nt have said it better :D:D

My wife said something funny tonight.

She had put some ice-cream out for me and got a bit annoyed that I had been slow to finish my main meal. She shouted out, "ai dteem yen laew" which means the ice-cream is cold already!

My g/f says funny stuff all the time, a few examples. She says "why you pokemon with me" for when we have an arguement. Gets me everytime and we end up laughing instead!

And "sexercise" instead of excercise, she knows this one but says for a laugh anyway! :o

:o  it is really funny to read this forum to be honest.Cant stop laughing. I am

Thai and it is quite good to hear some opinions from farang who got thai wife. Hope you dont mind if there is a new face to join the forum.unfortunatly she is Thai.  :D

Hi vrushi - you are most welcome - so don't say "unfortunately"...all welcome...Thai and Farang... :D

My ex-wife had, as she said a very "hard tongue" meaning a strong accent - this was while living in Australia.

Being a chef, she used to have to say various foreign (often French) words - and it was often a source of amusement to the rest of the kitchen staff - although they would never dream of saying anything except later, in a jovial mood and over a glass of wine.

A couple of classics:

Babichelol = Profiteroles

A-WOK-a-doh = Avocado

one restaurant owner, a good friend of ours, was taking a customers order for lunch when the customer asked about the specials and the soup of the day. He went to the kitchen and was told the soup was Baked Bean ( :D ), and the special was Beef and Bullsh*t...! :D

He went out and actually told the customer what Chef had said, but promised a clarification in a moment - went back to the kitchen to check and eventually worked out it was "Black Bean Soup" and "Beef with Blue Cheese"!

She had problems pronouncing Paddington, which came out as Pat-ping-ton, until my Thai step-son and I gave her such a hard time over a three week period that she eventually gave in and learned to pronounce it properly....

Life with her was always entertaining! :D

Ask your gf for the Thai word for near (gly) and far (gly), and you try to spot the difference!!!

Should be a slight raised tone to represent 'far' from 'near' if you say it wrong without using the 'L' it becomes chicken!

Thai Language is such a bamboozler sometimes! :o

Is this the right way around? - I always recall thinking that the word "gly" with a rising tone sounded like it should mean far away, but actually meant close whereas the short slightly downward tone means far when it sounds logically as if it should mean close... I could easily be wrong on this one though...must check with my kids - it's easier than asking the wife...! :D

Edited by Greer

QUOTE(JimsKnight @ 2005-06-05 09:10:40)

QUOTE(mowlem @ 2004-05-18 12:03:15)

Ask your gf for the Thai word for near (gly) and far (gly), and you try to spot the difference!!!

Should be a slight raised tone to represent 'far' from 'near' if you say it wrong without using the 'L' it becomes chicken!

Thai Language is such a bamboozler sometimes!

Is this the right way around? - I always recall thinking that the word "gly" with a rising tone sounded like it should mean far away, but actually meant close whereas the short slightly downward tone means far when it sounds logically as if it should mean close... I could easily be wrong on this one though...must check with my kids - it's easier than asking the wife...!

I find it easy to differentiate between the two, now. Took me many years though.

I used to always say glai, meaning far, and "mai glai" meaning near. "glai"(far) is a normal mid tone, long. "Glai" (near) is a falling tone which is much shorter.

Sitting at one of the bars on the cut through between soi7 and soi8 (second road end )Pattaya with my friend Martin .

A bg start chatting to him "where you from?English?"

"No" says Martin "Isle of Man"

"ok"says bg ,and goes away five minutse later she returns with a hansome if somewhat effeminate male she introduces Martin to him with the immortal words

"he love man"

Never laughed so much and she could not understand why which made it worse.

Martin came from Douglas there after . :o

• 2 weeks later...
Hi vrsushi

You are very welcome, we need more Thais to learn from :o

Here you are:

I'm a Thai woman. English is my second lanquage so please bare with me as I try to explain my thoughts here.

I found this topic and most of its contributors extremely offensive and shameful. I wonder whether the gentlemen here might ask themselves this question.

What was the reason that drive you to marry an uneducated underclass ladies of other races and then spend a great deal of time making fun of them in the open internet forum?

Uneducated person desrves respect, but a person without class (who would talk about bodily functions and one's desires for sex out loud in the public etc. ) as demonstrated in posts throughout this forum might deserve scorn and ridicule from civilized socirty. Even so, she should not have been exposed by her own husband or boyfriend.

I found it's very curious for Westerners to chat about how "cute" their "GF" or wives and in the next breath ridicule them and tell the world about their bedroom mouths or activities.

Can anybody answer honestly after looking deep in to his heart that it's not hidden racism or the desparate need to feel better about his superiority between nations?

I apologize for the tone of this post, but I was shock to come upon this discussion. There are few that are not truly vile. But I will never in my life making fun of my foreign husband (if I have one) and expose his shortcomings in the public for my own amusement such as you guys did.

Edited by T&R

Hi vrsushi

You are very welcome, we need more Thais to learn from :D

Here you are:

I'm a Thai woman. English is my second lanquage so please bare with me as I try to explain my thoughts here.

I found this topic and most of its contributors extremely offensive and shameful. I wonder whether the gentlemen here might ask themselves this question.

What was the reason that drove you to marry an uneducated underclass ladies of other races and then spend a great deal of time making fun of them in the open internet forum?

Uneducated person desrves respect, but a person without class (who would talk about bodily functions and one's desires for sex out loud in the public etc. ) as demonstrated in posts throughout this forum might deserve scorn and ridicule from civilized socirty. Even so, she should not have been exposed by her own husband or boyfriend.

I found it's very curious for Westerners to chat about how "cute" their "GF" or wives and in the next breath ridicule them and tell the world about their bedroom mouth or activities.

Can anybody answer honestly after looking deep in to his heart that it's not hidden racism or the desparate need to feel better about his superiority between nations?

I apologize for the tone of this post, but I was shock to come upon this discussion. There are few that are not truly vile. But I will never in my life making fun of my foreign husband (if I have one) and expose his shortcoming in the public for my own amusement such as you guys did.

T & R take a chill pill mate.Most of it is good humour. There are so many times that Thai people(or my wife) have laughed at my pathetic Thai.It's all in good humour and not ment to be offensive. I can laugh at myself,can you? :o

Hi vrsushi

You are very welcome, we need more Thais to learn from :D

Here you are:

What was the reason that drove you to marry an uneducated underclass ladies of other races and then spend a great deal of time making fun of them in the open internet forum?

I found it's very curious for Westerners to chat about how "cute" their "GF" or wives and in the next breath ridicule them and tell the world about their bedroom mouth or activities.

I apologize for the tone of this post, but I was shock to come upon this discussion. There are few that are not truly vile. But I will never in my life making fun of my foreign husband (if I have one) and expose his shortcoming in the public for my own amusement such as you guys did.

T & R take a chill pill mate.Most of it is good humour. There are so many times that Thai people(or my wife) have laughed at my pathetic Thai.It's all in good humour and not ment to be offensive. I can laugh at myself,can you? :D

You can also look at the thread "stupid things farang say", where we get our own back on ourselves... :o

totster :D

It's ok. Thanks for the chill pill. I guess few of the posts back were too hard to read. That was all. Enjoying life should not be too crude. But may be I stumbled upon thread that I do not belong. If you could imagine being a minority in any cirsumstances, you might understand that many things said here were very insulting. But ChuChok (sorry for the sp) is right, may be I'm too uptight. I don't like when women are called "girls" or chicks for instance. Some of the behavior shared would send somebody to slid their throat rather than laugh about it and repeat.

Ok then. I'm chilled and I will go away peacefully. I'm sure we can always use a diverses opinion here.

Edited by T&R

It's ok.  Thanks for the chill pill.  I guess few of the posts back were too hard to read.  That was all.  Enjoying life should not be too crude.  But may be I stumbled upon thread that I do not belong.  If you could imagine being a minority in any cirsumstances, you might understand that many things said here were very insulting.  But ChuChok (sorry for the sp) is right, may be I'm too uptight.  I don't like when women are called "girls" or chicks for instance.  Some of the behavior shared would send somebody to slid their throat than laugh about it and repeat.

Ok then.  I'm chilled and I will go away peacefully.  I'm sure we can always use a diverses opinion here.

Cool reply T & R.

just a thought though...I am a minority here. :D

nice to see a Thai opinion. :o

K. T&R, I've also shown my girlfriend this topic and she also took a bit of offence to some of the posts here. She considers herself to be very conservative and is also gets slightly frustrated about what many people think of Thai nationals in the rest of the world.

It took a little bit of explanation that most of the posts were mainly “tongue in cheek” and she eventually came round and had a bit of a giggle in the end.

By the way, she ridicules my pathetic Thai all the time :o

The mistakes one's better half makes are funny and endearing, not derogatory. No one looks down on Thai lady for not being able to perfectly express herself in English. Odds are she speaks much better English than most of the farang speak Thai. All postings I've read in this thread seem to be quite appreciative of the Thai ladies and their sense of humor.

The elementary, silly mistakes I make in my halting Thai seem to endear me to my GF just as much. We both really have much fun together.

However, on reading T&R's original posting why do I have a deja-vu on a tirade I just read on Stickman's from a thai lady flagellating the farang who are spoiling Thailand by making prostitutes of the uneducated village girls?

Does anyone else share this deja-vu?

I have a Thai male friend who married his very loving American wife and is now living in Los Angeles. He called me one day and complained about how his wife would sit higher than him (he was on the floor watching TV and his wife sat down on the sofa behind him), make him do laundry or cook for himself etc. I personally think that he is lucky to have her, but Thai men are not to be contradicted (poor babies :o )

Edited by T&R

I have a Thai Male friend who married his very loving American wife and is now living in Los Angeles.  He called me one day and complained about how his wife would sit higher than him (he was on the floor watching TV and his wife sat down on the sofa behind him),  make him do laundry or cook for himself etc.  I personally think that he is lucky to have her, but Thai men are not to be contradicted (poor babies  :D )

I have a Thai Male friend who married his very loving American wife and is now living in Los Angeles.  He called me one day and complained about how his wife would sit higher than him (he was on the floor watching TV and his wife sat down on the sofa behind him),  make him do laundry or cook for himself etc.  I personally think that he is lucky to have her, but Thai men are not to be contradicted (poor babies  :D )

Yeah, getting a bit too obvious now...