Personal items

My wife is telling me this morning that on Thai social media some people are reporting having to list their own valuables, watches rings cameras laptops etc on the way out and showing the list on the way back in.

Not sure of all the details so just asking if this has been noticed by anyone out there on TV.

The Customs Dept have already back-tracked on the idea, although the requirement is still posted on their website: http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=departing_from_thailand&lang=en&left_menu=menu_departing_from_thailand

They now say that the requirement is only a suggestion and is not voluntary, with passengers not required by law to declare expensive goods prior to leaving Thailand.

We should have more info on this shortly

• Thanks 2

Many years ago I was stopped by US Customs in Honolulu and they wanted to charge me duty for my well-worn Toshiba laptop.  They said that if I had truly bought it in the US (which I had) I should have registered it with Customs before departure.  After exiting, I went to the office to declare it and the folks there said "What the heck is going on?  We've had half a dozen people come in this morning to declare their computers and cameras."  They assured me that there was no need to declare it.

Thailand seems to be about 20 years behind.  :whistling:

Yeah, there are laws on the books about just about anything.  But the declaration statement on import when returning to the USA clearly says items you purchased overseas.  If customs is now challenging that anything looking remotely expensive was bought overseas, well.  I don't know.  Can they confiscate on the spot?  Are they charging you with breaking a law?  Few people have proof or receipts on them of the rings or jewelry they have worn for years, the camera, computer, etc.  they travel with

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, there are laws on the books about just about anything.  But the declaration statement on import when returning to the USA clearly says items you purchased overseas.  If customs is now challenging that anything looking remotely expensive was bought overseas, well.  I don't know.  Can they confiscate on the spot?  Are they charging you with breaking a law?  Few people have proof or receipts on them of the rings or jewelry they have worn for years, the camera, computer, etc.  they travel with

In my instance, they wanted to charge me the appropriate tariff based on the MSRP of the computer.  Not sure how I talked my way out of it, but it probably was with a solemn oath to register the item before my next trip out of the country.  I don't recall any threat of arrest, but maybe they did threaten to confiscate ... it's been too long for me to remember.

• 2 weeks later...

For those with Apple products,  or any other brands purchased online, one can always log in to the account provided the website store has a history of purchases and thus prove the origin of purchase.

Edited by observer90210