Schengen Visa

How do you apply for a Schengen Visa for Italy, needing to show airline and hotel bookings before the visa being issued. The application says you must show these documents, but recommends to NOT pay before the Visa is issued. 

And is it the same for a UK Visitors Visa for my Thai GF.  Do I need to show a medical insurance policy BEFORE the visa is issued?  Thanks anyone.

My girlfriend submitted a copy of her flight schedule with her application this was accepted by the VFS, after some persuasion, and the visa was issued, the Italian visa staff are within their rights to approve the visa but not actually issue it until they have sight of the confirmed flight reservations.

The other option is to either book a full flexible ticket which can be cancelled or pay for a travel agent to issue a dummy ticket, I understand that there are some who will do this for a fee, but I don't know their details.

As to your second question, the UKVI specifically advise that a non refundable ticket shouldn't be purchased before entry clearance is approved, in the event they the applicant does buy a flight ticket the UKVI advise not to send it with the application. The UK do not require proof of medical insurance before a visa is issued, or at any stage after.

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

My girlfriend submitted a copy of her flight schedule with her application this was accepted by the VFS, after some persuasion, and the visa was issued, the Italian visa staff are within their rights to approve the visa but not actually issue it until they have sight of the confirmed flight reservations.

The other option is to either book a full flexible ticket which can be cancelled or pay for a travel agent to issue a dummy ticket, I understand that there are some who will do this for a fee, but I don't know their details.

As to your second question, the UKVI specifically advise that a non refundable ticket shouldn't be purchased before entry clearance is approved, in the event they the applicant does buy a flight ticket the UKVI advise not to send it with the application. The UK do not require proof of medical insurance before a visa is issued, or at any stage after.

Thank you oldgit. Do you mean she simply showed which flight she was planning on using? Must you use VFS or can you go directly to Italian Embassy?

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

the Italian visa staff are within their rights to approve the visa but not actually issue it until they have sight of the confirmed flight reservations.

Does that mean another trip to Bkk? Does the Schengen country, Italy, need insurance documents please?

What is your nationality?

What is the relationship between you and the applicant?

Will you be travelling together?

If you are an EU national, and British still currently counts, and the applicant is a qualifying family member, e.g. spouse, and you are travelling together, or the non-EU family member is travelling to join you, then under the Freedom of Movement directive the applicant is entitled to a free Schengen visa and does not need to supply most of the documents required of others; including flight and hotel bookings and insurance.

Unless you are Italian as the directive does not apply when entering the state of which the EU family member is a citizen, except in certain circumstances which don't apply here.

See the relevant part of Donutz's Schengen sticky for more.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

On 3/8/2018 at 5:00 PM, 7by7 said:

What is your nationality?

What is the relationship between you and the applicant?

Will you be travelling together?

If you are an EU national, and British still currently counts, and the applicant is a qualifying family member, e.g. spouse, and you are travelling together, or the non-EU family member is travelling to join you, then under the Freedom of Movement directive the applicant is entitled to a free Schengen visa and does not need to supply most of the documents required of others; including flight and hotel bookings and insurance.

Unless you are Italian as the directive does not apply when entering the state of which the EU family member is a citizen, except in certain circumstances which don't apply here.

See the relevant part of Donutz's Schengen sticky for more.

I am English, my gf & I have been together 10 years, 4 times to UK already. We are going to UK, and hope for a week in Italy from Heathrow. I have already booked flight and hotel in Rome. 

20 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I am English, my gf & I have been together 10 years, 4 times to UK already. We are going to UK, and hope for a week in Italy from Heathrow. I have already booked flight and hotel in Rome. 

Girlfriend or unmarried partner?

Unmarried partners do qualify as family members under the directive; but each individual member state has it's own definition of unmarried partners.

For example, for immigration and visa purposes in the UK  it's that the couple have been living together outside the UK in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the past two years. I'm afraid I don't know the Italian definition; but you can use the link on this page to find out if you wish.

The advantage of doing so is that if the Italians accept you as unmarried partners then, as said previously, your girlfriend wont need any of the usual supporting documents for her Schengen visa application, including health insurance, although this is, of course, recommended, and the visa will be free.

The disadvantage is that she will have to supply whatever documentary evidence of your relationship the Italians require; which means it may be simpler and easier for her to forget the family route and make a standard application!

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Girlfriend or unmarried partner?

Unmarried partners do qualify as family members under the directive; but each individual member state has it's own definition of unmarried partners.

For example, for immigration and visa purposes in the UK  it's that the couple have been living together outside the UK in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the past two years. I'm afraid I don't know the Italian definition; but you can use the link on this page to find out if you wish.

The advantage of doing so is that if the Italians accept you as unmarried partners then, as said previously, your girlfriend wont need any of the usual supporting documents for her Schengen visa application, including health insurance, although this is, of course, recommended, and the visa will be free.

The disadvantage is that she will have to supply whatever documentary evidence of your relationship the Italians require; which means it may be simpler and easier for her to forget the family route and make a standard application!

Thank you so much for this information. It looks like my UNMARRIED PARTNER of ten years should get a FREE Schengen Visa if we can prove we have been together that long....photos with dates etc. I shall keep you updated.

Thank you so much for this information. It looks like my UNMARRIED PARTNER of ten years should get a FREE Schengen Visa if we can prove we have been together that long....photos with dates etc. I shall keep you updated.

Yes, under the rules she should, and she should need only the minimum of evidence regarding your proposed trip, as has been pointed out every country seems to set their own criteria.
I think you would need to be in a subsisting relationship and be able to prove that you were actually living together to apply under this rule, my girlfriend provided copies of the joint lease on our condo going back a number of years when she successfully applied for a longer term visa under the freedom of movement directive.
There is evidence to suggest that as the UK heads towards departure from the EU, some Consulates are only issuing visas valid until the UK’s departure date, this of course could be purely coincidental.
  • Like 1