Need to change my pants

JohnMc45

Exciting isn't it?

Had it rained recently?

HV insulators spent winter getting dirty, first rain dampens the dirt and we get flashover.

Bang! Time for new underwear.

• Haha 1

Some time back a mate and myself were in an upstairs restaurant in Church St, Bangalore (India) https://www.zomato.com/bangalore/20-feet-high-church-street worth a visit if you're in BLR.

On the other side of the road is a substation with a 66kV incoming supply. A light smattering of rain was falling. There was a definite fizzing hum coming from the transformer, followed shortly by a very large flash and bang. The restaurant staff didn't even flinch, they knew it was coming (we didn't, beer was spilled).

Exciting isn't it?

Most exciting was coming within 10m of getting hit by lightning when I was young. That was a pant filler. Couple of years later on a tour of the high voltage lab at UofW that a friends father ran he couldn't understand why I was not as impressed as the other kids with his indoor lightning till I told him about having a front row show of the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, JohnMc45 said:

Most exciting was coming within 10m of getting hit by lightning when I was young.

Yeah, a few years back I was working on the (then) PUTRA LRT in KL. We had literally just got all the comms up and running when I wandered outside for a breath of air to be greeted by a fair to heavy rainstorm.

Whilst contemplating how to get to the car there was a f***ing (flipping) great flash and bang (maybe 20m away), retreating back to the comms room I was rewarded by a room full of red (comms failed) lights. Every single incoming line was fried despite "state of the art" lightning protection. Grrrrr.

Fishing with my dad on a lake it northern Ontario. Had not rained in like two months. No sooner than we get a line in water then the sky goes from blue to black and opens up with a rain that would even impress Noah. Run the boat aground on the beach and head for the buildings. About 20-30 feet from the tree line when lightning hits the tree in front of me. I am soaked to the bone and the hair on my arms still stands up, can't see for several seconds welding flash times ten and the only thing you can smell is ozone. That made a impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app