Change a visa exemption to non-b in BKK from Phuket

Hello Trusty ThaiVISA Experts,

My situation is as follows.  I arrived in Thailand on a 30 day visa exemption (US Passport).  I found a job in Phuket at a resort.  On my first visit to immigration to ask about converting my visa, the less than helpful volunteer claimed it was not possible.  As time was running low on my permission to stay, I visited Phuket Immigration and extended my permission to stay for an additional 60 days based on visiting family.  When speaking with an actual immigration official, she informed me that I could change my visa.  She gave me the attached list of documents.  However, the entire process takes them 2 weeks or so to complete.  I need it done more quickly than that, so I called Had Yai who said it could not be done.  So, I called Chaeng Wattana since I need to go to Bangkok anyway.  She laughed, told me to get on a plane and taxi to the government complex, and I could be back home in Phuket in time for dinner.  She was vague about if I needed WP3 to do this or not.  I am concerned because it would not be the first time I was told one thing on the phone only to appear and be told another.  

Is the list of documents the same?  Is it possible to convert in Bangkok for a company based in Phuket?  Do I need this WP3?

Thanks for any help!

COVERT.jpg

You would not be able to do it in Bangkok. They will tell you to do it in Phuket.

You will need a work permit application approval letter to apply for it. A WP3 can only be done if you are not in the country.

My other line of thinking is that I should be able to convert to a non-immigrant o and begin the process now.  My employer doesn't seem to like that idea and wants me on a non-b.  I understand that takes two weeks even in Bangkok.  Can I get the work permit while that is taking place?  My head is spinning!  

3 minutes ago, smileplur said:

That's my fear.  Why did they tell me it could be done in Bangkok on the phone?  Ok, so I need the work permit application approval to do it.

They were just wrong. You cannot always trust the info you get on the phone.

2 minutes ago, smileplur said:

My understanding is that Phuket will send it to Bangkok anyway, so my thought process is I can just take it there myself!

It will be sent to division 6 headquarters in Hat Yai for approval not Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, smileplur said:

My other line of thinking is that I should be able to convert to a non-immigrant o and begin the process now.  My employer doesn't seem to like that idea and wants me on a non-b.  I understand that takes two weeks even in Bangkok.  Can I get the work permit while that is taking place?  My head is spinning!  

Upon what basis would you get the non-o visa?

All changes of visa statuses require at least 2 weeks for approval.

The work permit application could be done but not issued.

1 minute ago, smileplur said:

I know logic doesn't exist here, but why can't I just go to Hat Yai then?  LoL

The application has to be accepted and verified at the local level before being sent to the division level for approval. A division level office does not accept applications.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

The application has to be accepted and verified at the local level before being sent to the division level for approval. A division level office does not accept applications.

That makes it much more clear!  Thank you!

1 minute ago, smileplur said:

I can get a non-o based on marriage to a Thai (with child).

Do you have the financial proof required to appy for it.

You need 400k baht in the bank or proof of 40k baht income.

6 minutes ago, smileplur said:

Isn't this fun.  It looks like a trip to Penang will be much easier than this headache! :shock1:

That is probably the best option to get a single entry non-o if you want to go that route.

Or a non-b visa if doing an extension based upon working.