Facebook uproar over woman sitting in Ayutthaya Buddha’s lap

webfact

1 minute ago, stanleycoin said:

Yes, but theres no money in it. whats the point  TIT.

Some company close to some official could make theme signs, some other company close to some other official could install them etc. etc. etc.... money for everyone

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

And many are insulted when you tell them. Easy to understand that when you see their reaction to the many Indians in Thailand.

Thre are many, many facts that insult Thais. I thoroughly enjoy going through as many as I can muster with them. 

Like, say, worshipping a concrete block isn't what Buddha meant. Nor is paying the monks for good luck, etc.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Samui Bodoh said:

Respectfully, do you need to be told not to climb on the statues?

Isn't NOT climbing merely common sense?

Yes, the Thai reaction is a bit overblown, but... do you really need to be told NOT to climb on it?

true, but. i think there has to be some allowance for cultural ignorance. i'm talking photos on statues etc not feet on coach next to someone head which is wrong everywhere. some chinese tour groups aren't the well to do chinese that would know better. some are from small shitty places and wouldn't have a clue what is ok or not ok outside where they live. for some it might be the 1st time they ever travelled. i think a little leeway and less attack, more a quiet word would help. the buddhist way some might say. not saying they were chinese. could be thai. they were last week

4 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Respectfully, do you need to be told not to climb on the statues?

Well, it is not the Statue of Liberty, is it? Besides, some (maybe dumb) tourists might see stairs at the bottom of it.

It's not that I think they didn't do anything wrong, but surely they think that, don't they? How would they know it's wrong if nobody tells them, not even a simple sign on a wall.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wattaman said:

Some company close to some official could make theme signs, some other company close to some other official could install them etc. etc. etc.... money for everyone

yes thats true.

but its a one off deal,  no good in Thailand,  they want a constant flow of cash.

Maybe a viewing fee ? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, poanoi said:

you might have heard a story about drukpa kunley,

perhaps the most legendary boner known to man

Why of course, the man from Bhutan, a true Buddhist who truly contributed to the lore, especially by introducing these pieces of art: 

5977611703_e617258b11_z.jpg

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

He was born in what is now Nepal, place called Lumbini, to the west of Kathmandu.

I understand that's where the Thai place name Lumphini comes from, not that many Thais realise that.

Thanks, didn't know the details.

Nice to learn something that to me is a lot more important than the fact that Harold and whatsername never played Mr Wobbly hides his helmet.

???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Thank you very much, I'm really so close to a shutdown of my FB, only informing some friends and the page is past. It's really getting too much of so many different annoying things

It was nice to find old friends after not seeing each other for 20, or 30 years. Facebook helped me to find some old friends who were GI's in Germany in 1976, but any other than finding friends is a joke. These days they create videos with friends I've made a year ago, even when it's about my own sister. And not thinking that our data is being used by FBI, CIA, BKA, LKA, Disneyland, and  others would be very naive.

After some years, many people have got a few thousand friends?? and even when I kept mine under 100, it's still a pain in the ass. I don't want a reminder to set up my mood, the food I've just eaten, post my hobbies, where I went to school, well all the usual and normal things, Facebook people do. 

Trying to tell students that Facebook is a waste of time doesn't work, because their Thai teachers are as addicted to it as they are. What a freaking joke it became, from an information website for students to a website where pedophiles, drug dealers, idiots, citizens of LOS, perverts, coksuckers , and other individuals can easily find what they are looking for. 

Some ( many) pedophiles are lurking on their prey, download photos of teenagers and use them for all sorts of things, and in my opinion Facebook should come with a warning that it's dangerous ( or can be) to your health. I don't have a problem that the Thai Immigration might have more information about me than I've got about myself, but it's really time to end it. 

Nope, there must be something else in life than Facebook. The time I'll win could be used to play some sports, do some trekking, study for a Master's, play chess, or just post on TV. Lol

Dead with FB.jpg

FB box and death.jpg

Heroin and FB.jpg

Seems they now offer a VPN but some reports are claiming it traces your phone 24/7 even if your not posting on faeces book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

These bloody tourists making us ‘farangs’ look bad! I’m so angry! Prison for this person until she learns to respect others’ cultures! Oh wait, she’s Asian.

Meh, who cares. 

A bit confused about this myself. As a Christian, I might consider it comforting to be in/on the lap of my creator...my God. I certainly would not see it as being disrespectful, on the contrary, it would be an expression of my love for my "Father".

17 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Sheesh!  Stop being so damn sensitive, Thai people.  And while you're at it, try actually learning what Buddha taught, instead of this Thai crap you call "Buddhism".  

For starters, Buddha SPECIFICALLY told his followers NOT to pray to him when he died, as he was NOT a god, but ONLY A MAN, and prayers to him would be wasted.  

There is no such thing as true Buddhism in Thailand, only a lot of mumbo, jumbo superstition dressed in orange robes that's a fake as a $3 bill. 

The original teachings of Buddha are not allowed to be taught in Thailand and if you read them, very soon you will get to know why. 

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

{snipped}

there is a postman that I regularly see at the office block where I work, I have absolutely no idea how he manages to walk with the number of Buddha's hanging off his gold chain in full view.

It's obviously a lucky charm to protect him from being sacked, due to delivering letters slowly owing to the excessive weight he carries around his neck.

• Haha 2