10 Reasons you left your homeland to live in Thailand

4MyEgo

7 hours ago, amykat said:

Was moving to Thailand the right move? Well yes and no ... I really would have preferred Bali, but they have difficult visas for younger people especially.  Had I landed there first, I probably would have tried it anyway but I had not discovered Bali yet. I would have fallen totally in love and done anything to stay there and I had the means to do it.

Instead I spent several months there every year.

What would have happened? Who knows, I might have a great villa today in Seminyak and be totally happy!!  Before that, I decided that hey, Thailand is so damn cheap that I can stay here and do whatever I want for some years, travel the world, etc. That was 2004. I was getting divorced, who wasn't? Selling my business and figured if I had to start over I could take some time off to regroup ...not many times in life you get that chance. I have always loved living in other countries or thought about it ...every vacation I go on, I think about what would it be like to live here? I don't know why, it is enduring fantasy. I also research endlessly moving to other locations ..just like jingthing ...I can tell you the realistic situation of every other location in the world to live in, more or less!! We are probably sort of like twins.

I ended up getting trapped here due to adopting a child and that taking YEARS that I did not expect!! Then a few more years of restrictions before I could move back to my home country with her.  Then various complications kept arising having to due with various things and it seemed better to just stay here for financial reasons mostly.  That was one  my goals overall, that I felt I could make/save money here.   But I I had a young child, and personally I had some health issues that would have interfered with working, without a job, you cannot get health insurance in the US until recently,  and I would have had to pay for daycare if I worked even part-time. The US is not Europe.  I did have to pay for international school here though and I had to pay quite a lot for my own healthcare here too.  So that dampened down my returns.

Anyway ...the years have moved on, and I did increase my net worth, in big respectable amounts, living below my means and making good investments, never taking one job here, never one digital bullshit job, nothing at all, not that I disrespect anyone who does those things, I probably should have too, could have money more now!! One reason I never did is that during the adoption I did not want to risk anything going wrong, like her bitch crazy drug addicted birth mother and extortionist family turning me in.  You don't know what hell I went though with death threats, and a kidnapping two years into it ...but I won in the end.  I also would have been less bored. 

Sometimes I hate Thailand because I have been through some hard times here. On the other hand, it is a familiar place for me, so there is that and sometimes I have had good times, but weird times. It has served some purposes I guess. I first came here in 1985 and for a long time I always said it was my favorite trip. It was so different then and I was so new to travels then.  I am moving back to the US in a few weeks, and I wonder how I will feel in a few years. 

My daughter and I have been going places lately, like today, and I say, this is where you got your ears pierced, do you remember?  And she says, yes, I am so embarrassed that I cried. The exact place is not there, because these small shops change so often ...it is still a jewelry shop, but they don't do that anymore. She is 12 now and all of our memories will be from here. We have lived in one house her whole life but she feels a bit transient because her friends move constantly from the international school.  The Chinese keep coming, the Koreans, the few Euro faces are mostly only from teachers who work there and have kids at the school and they move every few years too! The full Thais don't totally accept her or us, the Chinese stick to themselves, our moobaan is old and full of old people who are retired, there are no kids here, nice respectable people I like but they had their kids 30 years ago. I picked a good  classic one, there is no havoc here but no kids to pay with.

So, maybe I will come back to this thread in few years and tell you what I miss?  I will miss Thai massage for sure, even though I never go anymore!!  I used to go every single day, and that is just the normal massage with old ladies in temples or whatever, I am female if you haven't gotten that already, I don't get sex massages.  I will miss certain foods, spicy foods, I like them.  Japanese foods, my daughter loves them.  Rimping, the best store ever ...my favorite thing in Thailand and it made my life worth living and I live just across the street from one!! I would have died without it!! REALLY.  It was a little piece of civilization I could visit on most days ...if things like this did not exist I would not have chosen to live here!! I know, most of you chose women, but I am not here for those things.

When you are new, you don't know what things are important.  I tried living in Belize for a while on a small island that I loved so much on vacation called Ambergris Caye.  Years before I came here, I thought about buying a second home there.  OMG ...living there was total hell ... I would almost rather be in prison. All I was doing was feeding raccoons who came to my house and vaccinating pet monkeys in town and trying to set up vet programs for everyone, rather than getting drunk every night with expats or watching the one TV channel showing programs from 1965. I also lived in places like Paris ... you learn a lot from these things!!  I will never regret them and will try anywhere I get the chance!! I still have the bug in me to go places and try them out. I think about it all the time!!  But it is really expensive and life gets in the way doesn't it ..god damn it!! If I just didn't have those god damn dogs and now the kid!!

Stupidly I am a bit sentimental about certain things and can't just pare my life down to a backpack!  But I think that could be a really fun life too!!! Maybe I will try it out later,  but then I might be too too damn old to do it???

hi amy, why do you think belize was hell ?

16 hours ago, Kimber said:

Yeah living here is pleasant enough but mostly boring as bat crap,  plenty of older Aussie girls husband hunting hereabouts which makes me nauseous.  

In the last couple of years I've realised that there's not a lot left holding me here,  2 now adult kids (1st marriage) are doing their own thing, while all I do is play daddy to my animals.  

I just want more out of life than enjoying great scenery, and waiting for death; but I know if the move happens that's it for me. 

Every year as soon as I return from Thailand, I'm booking my next flight and holiday 555. 

Australia is a bore.

• Like 2

1. Loose weight.The heat n shitty food here makes it easy.2.Love of Thai Immo regs. If yer skint piss of home, we don’t need You. 3. Love Thais dislike of PC Cowards...4.Thais only follow Laws they like, they will never all ware Seat Belts n Helmets.5 To be free of Nanny State , its like Alaska but warmer.6 . You can have a new car here and not loose much buying a new one every 2years..7 Lack of Poverty compared to much of Asia , but mainly i love Thai oh never mind way of life. .[emoji1580]‍[emoji574]️[emoji1579]‍[emoji264][emoji68]‍[emoji538]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kimber said:

Strange you should write that, I take possession of a new 2018 Triumph Bobber Black this Friday !

I love the look of the Bobber, but there's nowhere to for my TGF to perch her perfect rear (Oh, and have I mentioned today that she has the finest natural boobs in Bangkok?) - so I looked at the America, but somehow it's not as sexy as the Bobber.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I had a squirt on a Bobber while inspecting the Street Triple. Classic cruiser and an absolute beast. 

I’m a big fan of the nakeds, I have a Ducati Streetfighter 848 in Oz so I couldn’t get past the Triple. 

Putting a deposit in one shortly!

My TG warned me not to have too flash a motorbike in LoS, according to her the cops are happy confiscating farangs motorbikes, not that I've ever heard of it before.  

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Kimber said:

Very true. 

One of my TG Ex's wanted a Buddhist wedding after I told her no way a legal one.   

After Yai (her mom) came up with a casual 50,000 tb for the cost of a small gathering I called the relationship off. 

Once their fiscal claws are exposed I do the runner.  555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Now you are starting to boast old mate! 55

I have a sick addiction to the tiny ones for some reason lol. The current models are 40 & 39kg’s and no taller than 152cm. Considering I’m 195cm @ 122kg I do ask them to stay out of their school uniforms to avoid the inevitable incorrect assumption that they may not be of legal age ?

ah the joys of SEA

Lol

Cracked me up !!!

I am like you when I am away for a week or so catching up with the boys in either Phuket or Pattaya.

195cm, 122kg, 40kg, there would be nothing left of them by the time you finished with them.

I have always loved the petite little ones, until sitting at a bar one night, having a few drinks and I waved to this one to come over who was sitting at the opposite side of the bar, didn't notice her height until we left the bar, she barely made my it to my chest and when back at the hotel, finished the deed and sent her on her way, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed myself, but made myself apply more stricter rules in the future, i.e. size them up and not just look at their pretty faces, because as you say, there could be incorrect assumptions, that and I am not into rib cages :shock1:

Keep enjoying mate, one life, max it out !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Starting?

Hence my TVF profile name :sorry: but some of us have it so good, we can't help others taking it the wrong way, jealousy is for kids, happiness is for others and should be accepted and embraced, otherwise not having what another has could make you soar loser :post-4641-1156694572: 

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, Jingthing said:

Affordability

Ability to "retire" early here (impossible in the U.S.)

Climate

Buying low cost meds without prescriptions

Easy "retirement" visa that I can qualify for (some say it isn't easy but compared to most countries, it really is)

Food

Pretty much sums up why we moved here from the USA. Also my mother in law is getting older and we wanted to take care of her while we still had a chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

<snip> but some of us have it so good <snip2>

... and some have it so good but just don't feel the compulsion to talk about it.

And I am a soar loser -- I was licensed FAA pilot but had to give it up.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Hence my TVF profile name :sorry: but some of us have it so good, we can't help others taking it the wrong way, jealousy is for kids, happiness is for others and should be accepted and embraced, otherwise not having what another has could make you a soar loser :post-4641-1156694572:

9 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

... and some have it so good but just don't feel the compulsion top talk about it.

Always been an open book, others are not, read me or not, up to you !:sorry:

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1