Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Temple/Retreat Without Dogs?

OliverKlozerof

2 hours ago, Brucenkhamen said:

I was last at SuanMokh in 1997, so not so recent but no dogs back then, the retreats are held in a retreat centre seperate from the main monastery so I think it's likely they would continue to keep It dog free.  The same is probably true of Wat Kow Tahm.

I did the 10-day retreat there in 2002...before moving to BKK in 2006. Perhaps as a result of living in BKK and having to deal with the maddening barking dogs of neighbors, I am now hyper sensitive to barking.

I have a half recollection of a dog that was over a far wall from the retreat sala barking, but not really sure. As you probably know, temples seem to be where a lot of Thais take unwanted puppies...so they are often swarming with them. Apparently Thais don't have the funds for proper animal control (neutering, collecting...). And, some of them will tell you they think it's 'un-Buddhist' to *get rid of* the strays. One of the remaining problems in LOS. 

17 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I did the 10-day retreat there in 2002...before moving to BKK in 2006. Perhaps as a result of living in BKK and having to deal with the maddening barking dogs of neighbors, I am now hyper sensitive to barking.

I have a half recollection of a dog that was over a far wall from the retreat sala barking, but not really sure. As you probably know, temples seem to be where a lot of Thais take unwanted puppies...so they are often swarming with them. Apparently Thais don't have the funds for proper animal control (neutering, collecting...). And, some of them will tell you they think it's 'un-Buddhist' to *get rid of* the strays. One of the remaining problems in LOS. 

With that attitude, I recommend that you reconsider the retreat. Your root  issue of lack of tolerance, empathy and compassion should be addressed first. The presence of orphaned and dispossessed animals at wats is an inherent part of the philosophy that emphasizes restraint, tolerance and compassion.  In an ideal world we would have spaying, neutering and responsible  domestic animal management. We also would not have wars or pestilence or famine. 

Archived