So you thought that DOT approved helmet was safe!

BBJ

Personally, I've always opted for ECE of snell or a combo of all two or three.  I will confess, I didn't know DOT was self-tested and approved.

There are myriad issues with the way DOT rated helmets are tested for minimum safety standards, not least of which is the fact that the standard (FMVSS 218) was written in 1974. A DOT rated helmet does not have to be tested for visor impact, rollover, or even the strength of the chin bar. Not only that, but helmets are self-tested and self-approved by helmet manufacturers, which means some manufacturers selectively test, and some will outright lie about their product passing. Motorcyclists could be riding around right now with a helmet that won’t properly protect their melon.

FortNine is a motorcycle vlogger out of Canada who has been independently testing bikes and gear for over a year now. The videos are quality, and the results are based on real-world self-styled tests. In this video, he is calling on us, that’d be American enthusiasts, to tell the NHTSA that we want an updated safety standard for motorcycle helmets. By updating DOT standard to be more in line with a Snell or ECE rating, to test for more than just impact (and to lower the maximum acceptable impact), we could save countless bikers’ lives.

https://jalopnik.com/dot-ratings-for-motorcycle-helmets-are-egregiously-outd-1823684018

well, if by chance you do survive an 'issue' with your helmet...

- take a break, down over the border!  to Penang:

Eeeek!  there's a :omfg: 'motorcycle helmet repair shop' :omfg: just along Burmah Rd, the city end.

Personally - I wear a Shoei Neotec, a modular helmet where the face flips up... 

I also wear gloves and hot weather mesh motorcycle jacket (with shoulder, chest, elbow and back armor).

I feel almost naked if just nipping to the nearest 7-11 and wearing just the helmet alone.

I don't wear boots or jeans as that would pretty much remove the convenience of 'nipping out' on the scooter.

But for sure.... a decent helmet is a must.. My safety gear is 30% of the cost of my bike. 

Fort Nine produces one of best YouTube channels in terms of motorcycle content. Great reviews, highly recommended. Always informative while at the same time fun to watch. Superb production quality as well. One of the few companies that doesn't seem to be just paid shills like the vast majority of motorcycle "journalists".

Another channel that I can recommend is Motorcyclist Magazine.

About DOT: I never care much for american government standards. They have a long track record of doing more harm than good. There are of course no perfect standards but I'd rather look to european if need be.

An Indian mate of mine wears a non-dot turban, never had any problem with bits falling off, or head injuries.

Approved by the UK police too, can't get better than that........ 27 million people can't be wrong.

On 3/12/2018 at 6:58 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Personally - I wear a Shoei Neotec, a modular helmet where the face flips up... 

I also wear gloves and hot weather mesh motorcycle jacket (with shoulder, chest, elbow and back armor).

I feel almost naked if just nipping to the nearest 7-11 and wearing just the helmet alone.

I don't wear boots or jeans as that would pretty much remove the convenience of 'nipping out' on the scooter.

But for sure.... a decent helmet is a must.. My safety gear is 30% of the cost of my bike. 

Same here Richard.  I have 2 Shoei Helmets here I brought back from the US.  I use BohnArnor Mesh jacket (https://www.bohnarmor.com ) and always wear gloves.

Now I will confess I do not wear all that gear when I am making a 1km ride to the 7/11 or coffee shop. I ride along the river access rode through my neighborhood. 

Archived